cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sandipdsp1990
Paper Tape
Views: 141
Message 1 of 11

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 yoga 1st gen connect 2 external monitors apart from laptop display via onelink VG

I have lenovo thinkpad x1 yoga.

I have one connect +VGA and RJ45 adapter. i am trying to connect the 2 external display  apart from laptop screen here is my input:

one external display is connected to onelink via VGA and another display connect via HDMI.

but this dosen't work whenever i plug either onelink or hdmi one of the external monitor will be switched off. 

isn't it possible to use onelink and HDMI together.??

I am stuck here.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 134
Message 2 of 11

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad X1 yoga 1st gen connect 2 external monitors apart from laptop display via onelin

Hi,

The way I read the X1YG1 base specs it supports two independent monitors.  Apologies, but I can't quite parse your post.  Does "apart from laptop screen" mean that you want 3 monitors total, or two and the laptops's display is off?

supports external digital monitor via HDMI or Mini DisplayPort;
supports dual independent displays;

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Sandipdsp1990
Paper Tape
Views: 125
Message 3 of 11

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad X1 yoga 1st gen connect 2 external monitors apart from laptop display via onelin

No i mean 2 in total i want to close my laptop screen and just want to work with the 2 external monitors. but right now i have one link adapter VGA one and HDMI cable. so i want to connect 2 external monitors. one from the HDMI and one from OneLink adapter with VGA port but unfortunately when i connect both at the same time only one display is getting detected.

i hope this will be bit more clear. sorry for the confusion earlier.

Sandipdsp1990
Paper Tape
Views: 124
Message 4 of 11

If i want to connect via the mini display port which cable I need as my monitor can only take HDMI or VGA.? and is there any way  i can connect via one link and HDMI so that i don't need to buy a display port to HDMI adapter?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 122
Message 5 of 11

I wish I could answer your questions, but I'm afraid I don't know Smiley Sad

Thought I could test your configuration. I have an X1YG1 and dug around in my closet for my OneLink adapter - but unfortunately it's RJ45 only, no HDMI.

Now that your desired setup is explained, hopefully someone else here can advise.

regards,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Sandipdsp1990
Paper Tape
Views: 100
Message 6 of 11

whats your configuration for dual display for X1YG1?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 98
Message 7 of 11

@Sandipdsp1990 wrote:

whats your configuration for dual display for X1YG1?

I have never set up that configuration.  Sorry.  I will dig around in my parts bin, but I don't think I have the right cables and adapters.

Z.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 90
Message 8 of 11

OK, I was able to dig up some appropriate cables to try two monitors.  The results surprised me...

This is with mini-DP/DP cable to a 2560x1440 ThinkVision monitor and a HDMI/HDMI cable to a 720p television.  Not only was I able to get both external monitors running at the same time, but I could configure all 3 - including the laptop's display - as independent.  Would not have guessed that from the base spec.

I don't know whether something in your setup isn't working right, or whether the OneLink display path is shared with the laptop's HDMI connector.  Unfortunately I don't have a OneLink/HDMI or VGA adapter to try.  My neighbor has a mini-DP/HDMI/DVI/VGA adapter (it may be mine...) which I will test when I can. It may be a day or two.

FWIW,

Z.

CaptureA.PNGCapture B.PNG

Sandipdsp1990
Paper Tape
Views: 85
Message 9 of 11

Hey thanks for the update. this will help me for sure. how are you connecting the monitor with Mini DP. you are using adapter of miniDP to HDMI? is yes which adapter you are using?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 82
Message 10 of 11

@Sandipdsp1990 wrote:

Hey thanks for the update. this will help me for sure. how are you connecting the monitor with Mini DP. you are using adapter of miniDP to HDMI? is yes which adapter you are using?

As I tried to indicate above, it's a mini-DP to DP cable.  Passive, no adapter or converter.  I will test a mini-DP to HDMI adapter when I can - but can't say when.  Sorry.

I came across this in the user's guide:

"Note: If you connect the computer to a supported ThinkPad OneLink+ Dock, use the HDMI connector on the
ThinkPad OneLink+ Dock, not the one on the computer."

It makes me think that using a display device via OneLink disables the laptop's HDMI port.  It doesn't say so explicitly, but that's the implication, I think.  Seems to fit what you are observing.

Z.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors