Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nekooken
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,268
Message 1 of 65

Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Graphics Dock with X16C

Hi, I was wondering if anyone have any experience with the Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Graphics Dock and if it works with the X1 Gen6 Carbon?  I did see it's been optimized for the IdeaPad 720S 13-inch 8th Gen Intel processor but would like to know if it works with other models too.

It would be a weird limitation to lock it down to only one computer..

Thanks!

awolfe63
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,214
Message 2 of 65

Re: Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Graphics Dock with X16C

I've been trying to get it to work with the X1C 5th generation.  Non-graphics functions work fine - but the firmware updater won't run and the driver won't install.

rodrisanz
Punch Card
Views: 10,138
Message 3 of 65

Hi - did you follow the User Manual instructions EXACTLY?

From this review:

https://egpu.io/lenovo-thunderbolt-3-graphics-dock-review-doa/

Sounds like the dock is very finicky.  It SHOULD work with a Lenovo computer.  I ordered it to use with my X1 Carbon 5th Gen.  The key is to follow the Lenovo-specified driver installations exactly - do NOT try to connect the dock first and then install drivers. 

I should get my dock in a week or so.  Will report if I'm able to get it up and running.

Real_Enigma
Punch Card
Views: 10,130
Message 4 of 65

I have a Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Graphics Dock daisy-chained into the ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock which is attached to my 2017 ThinkPad X1 Yoga OLED Gen 2. The Graphics Dock is attached to a Samsung UN75KS9000 TV. I get spectacular 3840 x 2160 x 60Hz from the HDMI 2.0 port on the Graphics Dock, and the image quality with the NVIDIA card and drivers is much improved over the already nice 3840 x 2160 x 60Hz image that I was previously pulling via a Pluggable Display Port to HDMI 2.0 converter from the ThinkPad TB3 dock and the internal HD Graphics 620 chip.

My gaming exploits consist of the FPV racing sim, Velocidrone. The improvement there has been dramatic. To give you an idea, with the 620 chip, I was able to average a just-flyable 32 fps in the sim's City landscape at the lowest level of detail at 720. With the Graphics Dock, that average has now jumped to 115 fps at the highest level of detail at 1080. A delightful night and day difference.

Of equal importance is the fact that the HDMI 2.0 port on the Graphics Dock seems to fully support HDCP 2.2 and DRM. The HDMI 1.2 port on the Yoga and the ThinkPad TB3 dock apparently do not, so I was not able to get full resolution from YouTube TV on the Yoga. Google told me it was a DRM issue. With the new Graphics Dock, I'm now enjoying YouTube TV broadcasts and recordings at the maximum resolutions available. And the quality is outstanding.

I mistakenly assumed that the Graphics Dock was plug-and-play when I received it. (The ThinkPad TB3 dock had required no drivers.) When I couldn't get it all to light up properly, I fortunately got a very game Lenovo tech on the line who was obviously interested in breaking some new ground. He pointed out the pretty obscure fine print that pointed out where support software could be downloaded. We got the dock driver installed, but the PC firmware did not install properly, which shouldn't be surprising since it was designed for the 720. As it turned out, the X1 Yoga doesn't need the firmware update. This setup runs like a top without it.

So the Graphics Dock is perfect for me. It's a more than suitable companion for my beloved X1 Yoga. I have the whole thing mounted behind my TV. It all just sits back there and runs like a rocket and I never hear a sound out of any of it. Yes, perfect.

nekooken
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,102
Message 5 of 65

Thanks for all the replys everyone, sounds like it should work with the right software installed. I'll definitely pick one up if it becomes available in New Zealand.  I did just check the US site and it seems the graphics dock has been removed. Hopefully that's not a bad omen.

rodrisanz
Punch Card
Views: 10,058
Message 6 of 65

Interesting that Lenovo pulled it off its US shop.  Could be a sign they're fixing the kinks in the drivers.  

The dock is still available in Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Thunderbolt-3-Graphics-Dock/dp/B079JFW3YT

There were 10 units available about a week ago.  Now "ships in 2 to 5 weeks".

I recommend anyone interested in the unit to purchase one when it's available. Should work as long as you have a recent Lenovo PC.  A while ago, ACER came out with a similar product in Europe.  It was available for a few months, then it disappeared from shelves... 

rodrisanz
Punch Card
Views: 10,053
Message 7 of 65

Thanks for the input @Real_Enigma.

Curious to understand why you decided to Daisy Chain the Graphics Dock to the Thinkpad TB3 Dock... Wouldn't the "docking" functionality of the Graphics Dock make the the TB3 Dock redundant? 

I too currently have the Thinkpad TB3 Dock as my office docking solution.  A key justification for ordering the Graphics Dock is that I will free up my current Thinkpad TB3 Dock.  I plan to keep the Graphics dock in the office, and take the TB3 Dock home - a perfect 1-cable docking solution for my two "desktop" productivity environments.  Why do you keep both docks in place?

I currently drive two stacked SAMSUNG U28E590D 4K Displays @ 60Hz (150% DPI scaling) off of a TB3 Dock connected to my Carbon X1 5th Gen (i7-7500, 16GB, HD620 iGPU).   Monitors connected to via DisplayPort and DP-to-TB3.  I also have ethernet, wired keyboard, wireless mouse receiver, laptop cooling pad, iPhone and external HD connected to the dock.  Setup works great 95% of the time.  1 out of 20 times connecting the dock, the USB devices are not detected ( and I need to unplug/replug the TB3 cable).  

Only drawback: Windows 10 is a bit laggy  (for example, alt+tabbing between windows takes a sec or so to respond).  I experience the same lag in EXCEL when working Full-Screen on my models (lag not as evident when worksheet sized to only take half the screen).  Takes a split second or so to move around cells and tabs when auditing formulas.  I obviously have Windows/Excel optimized for speed (i.e. killed all animations / etc).  

This lag in Windows 10 / Excel was not present when I was working with two 1080p Displays before.  In addition, resource monitor shows that the HD620 iGPU usage spikes when moving around Excel in the aforementioned scenarios.  

My hope is that the Graphics Dock will enhance Windows 10 / Excel so that my 4k experience is as fast as when I was working with 1080p. 

awolfe63
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,030
Message 8 of 65

Yes - that's why I ordered the TB3 Graphics dock.  W10 with 2 4K displays was too laggy on the TB3 dock.  I switched back to 3K displays.  I was hoping the TB3 Graphics Dock was better.

Since someone got it to work - I'll keep trying.

awolfe63
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,024
Message 9 of 65

Is this where you got the driver?

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories/acc500012

Real_Enigma
Punch Card
Views: 10,021
Message 10 of 65

rodrisanz...

I went the daisy-chaining route for several reasons:

1. I had had the TP TB3 dock for several months and was pleased with it.

2. The Graphics Dock alone doesn't have enough USB ports to meet my needs, since my goal was to have one-cable connectivity.

3. The Graphics Dock has only one TB3 port so it has to be at the end of the chain. With two TB3 ports, the TP TB3 dock offers some future flexibility.

4. The Graphics Dock doesn't have any USB ports on the back. Before I mounted it all behind my TV, I wanted USB ports in the back just for aesthetic reasons.

I think you'll see a significant increase in performance with the Graphics Dock. Remember that in addition to the dedicated GPU the GTX 1050 has 4GB of dedicated memory.

One thing you might try: Windows 10 recommends 300% scaling on my 4K60 setup. Have you tried 300% as an alternative to your current 150%?

By the way, I pasted my post here in as an Amazon review last night. Since Amazon accommodates larger image files, I included some shots of my setup, if you're interested.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079JFW3YT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#customerRev...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors