06-13-2008

Costa Mesa, CA

7 Signins

136 Page Views

• Views: 136
  • Message 1 of 3

Lenovo USB Fingerprint Sensor use

2008-08-13, 2:03 AM

I have an X61 w/fingerprint sensor on the keyboard.

I use it when at home with a 21 inch monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse.

If I could, I would just tuck the docking station and laptop out of the way, but the need to access the fingerpring sensor on the laptop keeps it all on my desktop, which is already pretty small.

I thought I might have an answer when I saw that Lenovo is marketing a small USB fingerprint sensor which will undoubtely work -- BUT

Will it tap into the existing data on my laptop or will I have to keep two parallel systems going?

I've gotton different answers from different Lenovo staff.

Has anyone out there tried this?

Options

289 Posts

11-28-2007

US

1764 Signins

19691 Page Views

• Views: 19691
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo USB Fingerprint Sensor use

2008-08-13, 14:27 PM

dwilderman wrote:

I have an X61 w/fingerprint sensor on the keyboard.

I use it when at home with a 21 inch monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse.

If I could, I would just tuck the docking station and laptop out of the way, but the need to access the fingerpring sensor on the laptop keeps it all on my desktop, which is already pretty small.

I thought I might have an answer when I saw that Lenovo is marketing a small USB fingerprint sensor which will undoubtely work -- BUT

Will it tap into the existing data on my laptop or will I have to keep two parallel systems going?

I've gotton different answers from different Lenovo staff.

Has anyone out there tried this?

This is a great question.

I use a similar set up.  The external fingerprint reader will simply take the place of the internal reader (the internal reader gets disabled when an external reader is connected) and there will be no difference in functionality.  You won't have to re-enroll prints in the fingerprint software or anything like that.  Note, though, that the first time you boot Windows with the external reader connected, you'll need to let the login screen sit for about fifteen seconds or so to allow Windows to install the driver for the external reader.  This is a one-time delay.

The only caveat comes if you're using power on and/or hard drive passwords and you're using the fingerprint for power on security for those passwords.  Because the print data for power on security is actually stored on the device, the prints you want to use will need to be copied to the USB reader (just open the enrollment wizard in the software with the USB device connected and you'll see the option of enabling the already enrolled prints for power on security), and, of course, the first time you swipe a print after doing so, you will need to type the power on or hdd password in order to link that print to that password.  Until this is done, if the external reader is connected, you will have to type those passwords manually.  However, once the prints have been copied to the USB reader and you've linked your prints to those passwords, you can switch back and forth between the internal and external reader seamlessly simply by connecting or disconnecting the external device.

I wasn't 100% sure exactly how the power on security piece would work, so I tested this on an X300 with an extra USB print reader.  The behavior will be the same on your X61.

Hope this helps.

----

Editied for clarity.

Message Edited by bloo on 08-13-2008 10:30 AM
--
Full disclosure: Lenovo issues my paychecks.
Options

1 Posts

04-09-2009

Switzerland

4 Signins

36 Page Views

• Views: 36
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo USB Fingerprint Sensor use

2009-04-09, 8:37 AM

I use an external keyboard FRU 41A5282 with fingerprint reader on a W500. My problem is, that the internal fingerprint reader is not disabled, when attaching the external kb. BIOS settings are on "External", so I alsways have to register first on the external and then immediately with the inter reader. How did you get it work that the internal is disabled when external kb is attached?

Thanks for any advises.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save