Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X1Carbon3rd
Paper Tape
Views: 3,065
Message 11 of 16

Re: Lenovo X1 Carbon (2014) screen flickering

Hi All, 

i would like share my experince my frustration about this issue. 

The lenovo Service centre doesnt care about the issue because they are neglecting the issue. 

First of all, i want to highlight the details of our frustrastion about this laptop. 

We bought the laptop march 2015, and after few months the battery laptop spiled and since there is no parts available they decided to replace the unit / because they cant find any solution about it. 

after we recived the new laptop another problem come out, which is the flickering of Screen, 

the technical support mention that there is a problem with the LCD. eventually after changing the LCd the problem  still exits. they took the laptop but they cant solve the issue. until now. 

Now the most frustrating part is, The tem leader assisting us about this doesnt reply or call about the inquiry.

We want to escalate the issue but none of them want to take care the issue. 

Any one from the community who got frustrated about the service you have recieved ??

We want to take this opportunity that there is a problem here that need to be solved. 

they leave us no choice  !!!!!!!!!

przespol73
What's DOS?
Views: 2,842
Message 12 of 16

I bougth recently latest Carbon 4 model. It is now more in service than on my desk. I spent several hours to record problems with flickering screen and finally prove to Lenovo service that this laptop is broken. Yet, I am still waiting for replacement.. Do not recommend X1 though.

pgoelz1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,041
Message 13 of 16

@lead_org wrote:
this is a known problem. You need a new motherboard. This is not a problem with the LCD cable.

Can you please elaborate?  I am researching this issue on my X1 Carbon 3rd generation.  When I contacted Lenovo service (the machine was purchased used but is still under warranty) they mentioned replacing the LCD and cable, and then proposed replacing the motherboard.  But neither was presented as a solution.... more like a guess or a pot shot at the problem.  They felt it was a software issue.  

My current testing and research is pointing towards an RFI issue between the WiFi adapter transmitter and some internal device.  Can you elaborate on WHAT the issue is?  If it is a known issue...... Lenovo is so far pleading ignorance.  With me, anyway.  

Paul

veriton
Token Ring
Views: 2,034
Message 14 of 16

pgoelz1 wrote: 

My current testing and research is pointing towards an RFI issue between the WiFi adapter transmitter and some internal device.

I think the wifi adaptor card is removable so could you take the card out completely to test your theory for a few days? (assuming you have some other connectivity, like a dock)

_____
X1C5 May 17 | i7-7600U 16G 1TB LTE W10-1709 | USB3 dock + two 1080p displays, 25% on road
X220: i7, 16GB, m500 960GB, F5521gw
pgoelz1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,006
Message 15 of 16

@veriton wrote:

pgoelz1 wrote: 

My current testing and research is pointing towards an RFI issue between the WiFi adapter transmitter and some internal device.

I think the wifi adaptor card is removable so could you take the card out completely to test your theory for a few days? (assuming you have some other connectivity, like a dock)

Yes, and in addition Intel stated that running for a few minutes with the antennas disconnected will not hurt the card.  So it would be a valid test to try it minus antennas as well as minus the entire card.  

But I have to say I am getting weary of doing ALL the work with (so far) no indication that Lenovo is interested in finding a genuine solution beyond replacing this and that.  They claim they are unaware of the issue in spite of many threads about it.  They are willing to replace my motherboard, but there is another thread on this forum where that was done and the customer reported it did NOT solve it.  I find it very troubling that every thread I have found discussing this issue (on the Lenovo forum as well as Dell and Asus) dies out eventually with NO reported solution.  

At some point I might start insisting on a replacement machine, but I am not sure if that is an option here since I bought the laptop used (but still in warranty).  

I should also mention that I have tried countless combinations of BIOS and Power Manager settings with no effect whatsoever.  Still trying to figure out what is so different when running on battery power.

EDIT:  I just tried an experiment with a USB WiFi adapter on a short cable.  I can duplicate the issue exactly by placing the adapter against the back of the display. SEE THIS THREAD.   

Paul

pgoelz1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,010
Message 16 of 16

You make a valid point and I might try that.  At least to see if it is still susceptible to an external RF field.  But since the WiFi card seems to be an integral part of the issue, I'm not sure what would be gained by removing it.  

In the mean time, I made yet another discovery that I posted in THIS THREAD which I started to draw some specific attention to this issue.  

Paul

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors