Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CThyssen
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,342
Message 1 of 11

Lenovo X1 Carbon 2nd 20A7 touchpad not responding

Dear community,

I have this rather special issue that I would like to ask for your assistance with.

The case: I have a Lenovo X1 Carbon 2nd generation (20A7) running Windows 10 x64. One day, the touchpad stopped working, but initially by making the cursor jump around the screen when I used the touchpad and later with no response at all. Currently, neither the touchpad or the trackpoint work and only when combining all of my effort and luck (emphasis on the latter) I can get a response. For instance, I recently had luck reinstalling the UltraNav driver which made the touchpad respond, though rather "patchy", but only until I restarted the computer.

The background: I bought the laptop while living the United States but have since moved to Denmark where I cannot use what remains of my warranty. I tried calling the Lenovo callcenter and an employee suggested that I enabled the touchpad in the BIOS and reinstalled the driver, but when that did not work, he fell short on advice. It seems that those guys are primarily there to help old people create a password and what not.

The twist: I am aware that one excellent possible solution to my issue is that I can do a clean install of Windows on my device. However, I currently have a limited use version of some very expensive software installed and I need that in my daily work and cannot get a new version right away, so doing that would set me back quite a lot.

I would really appreciate if somebody knows anything about what I could possible do in my situation. I will try to respond as quickly as possible and am willing to engage in quite complex trouble shooting.

Faithfully,

CThyssen

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,326
Message 2 of 11

Re: Lenovo X1 Carbon 2nd 20A7 touchpad not responding

Hello and welcome,

It seems that you're leaning toward a software rather than a hardware problem.  You might try booting a live Linux USB flash drive to verify that the hardware works.

It's typical for ThinkPads to have international warrantees.  Have you verified your specific coverage?   SUPPORT above, then International Services in the Warranty and Repair drop-down.

If your machine is eligible for local warranty service they will probably reinstall the OS as a diagnostic - and possible repair - effort.  If you can isolate to a hardware issue as suggested above you might avoid that step.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

CThyssen
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,317
Message 3 of 11

Dear Z,

Thank you for replying so quickly.

I am currently testing Ubuntu in a USB flash drive. I am sorry to announce that I am getting no response, which I take to be bad news. I suppose this can mean (at least) one of three things:

• Ubuntu requires a driver (which I cannot locate?)
  • There is some kind of mistake related to the BIOS
  • Random hardware malfunction

What do you propose would be the next logical step in troubleshooting?

Sincerely,

CThyssen

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,312
Message 4 of 11

I'm afraid I don't have any other things to suggest.  I was a little worried about Ubuntu driver support and should have mentioned that.  You're way ahead of me Smiley Wink

You might google Ubuntu on your ThinkPad and see if there are any reports re compatibility.  One example:  http://yurovsky.github.io/2014/06/12/thinkpad-x2-second-generation-linux/

Otherwise it may be that an OS reinstall is going to be the only way to sort this.  If the X1 took a standard HDD it would be easy/inexpensive to swap drives and do an OS install from recovery media.  Unfortunately you'd need an m.2 SSD.  If you have one, maybe give that a try?

Sorry I don't have any better suggestions.  Perhaps others here will come up with something.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

CThyssen
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,278
Message 5 of 11

Dear Z,

Thank you again for your reply.

It seems that the touchpad ought to work on Ubuntu without a driver. I will call the local support Monday and hear their suggestions.

I am still quite interested in perhaps the BIOS has any implication and am considering flashing it to an older version.

That aside, how would one go about testing hardware malfunction?

CThyssen
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,270
Message 6 of 11

I don't have any other test suggestions beyond OS or hardware swap.

The Lenovo diagnostics don't explicitly include track/touch tests.  You could give it a try just in case it turns up something: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/lenovodiagnosticsolutions/tools

I haven't tried the above and don't know if they apply to your machine.

Does an external mouse work?  Is that an option for you until you have sufficient down time to send the unit for diagnosis and repair?

Z.

CThyssen
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,266
Message 7 of 11

Dear Z,

The diagnostic tool does not address the touchpad.

The external mouse works, thus also my ability to wait for a solution.

Thank you very much for your input!

Sincerely,
CThyssen
JakeSully
Broadband 3G
Views: 1,257
Message 8 of 11

Have you checked in bios to make sure touchpad and trackpoint is not set as [Disabled]? If so enable both and save the changes and see if touchpad works again.

CThyssen
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,239
Message 9 of 11

Dear Jake,

Thank you for your reply.

I have tried all possible combinations of enabling and disabling touchpad and touchpoint.

CThyssen

JakeSully
Broadband 3G
Views: 1,236
Message 10 of 11

The only thing left is to goto device manager in windows and check under mouse if it does not list any synaptics device or elan tech then the touchpad itself is broken and needs to be replaced.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors