cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HCervantes
Paper Tape
Views: 931
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo X1 Carbon 3rd Generation freezing momentarily with Windows 10 after BIOS upgrade

About three weeks ago I upgraded BIOS on my laptop (as suggested by Lenovo Vantage) to latest version (N14ET45W (1.24), 3/01/2018). I am running Windows 10 64 bit. Shortly after that I started suffering quite frequent momentary freezing events where I had to wait between 10 to 40 seconds for the machine to continue working. During this period many of the running apps were closed and then reopened and I could not type or do any other thing. As you can imagine, this turned to be quite frustrating. I started searching at several forums, mainly Windows 10 related forums for a solution. U tried every possible solution, from updating all drivers to editing Registry etc. with no positive results at all. I was finally considering a full reimage of my machine when my latest resource turned to be rolling back my BIOS, as after checking on dates it seemed my suffering started shortly after my latest Lenovo Vantage drivers and BIOS update. Accordingly, I rolled Back from indicated BIOS to N14ET45W (1.23), 2/28/2018.

Voila! This was the required solution. After that, my machine has been running smoothly, with no freezing events.

Hope I had found a solution at any forum, and that’s why I am sharing this information here, as I really spent almost three weeks of frustration and unsuccessful searching/testing. I think Lenovo should test better and BIOS release.

Hope my post may help other X1 Carbon 3rd Gen with a similar issue. DO NOT UPGRADE BIOS TO version (N14ET45W (1.24), 3/01/2018!!

Regards,
HCervantes

rondi7
Punch Card
Views: 878
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo X1 Carbon 3rd Generation freezing momentarily with Windows 10 after BIOS upgrade

Was your latest update to protect against the Spectre and Meltdown attacks, or was it just fixing other minor problem. If it was for the attacks--rolling back may mean you are not protected. Check often to see if there is a new bios for your model.

HCervantes
Paper Tape
Views: 831
Message 3 of 6

Re: Lenovo X1 Carbon 3rd Generation freezing momentarily with Windows 10 after BIOS upgrade

I installed latest BIOS version because Lenovo Vantage application was suggesting me to upgrade ro latest version. I didn't have any security or performace issues before the upgrade. 

ltgrady
What's DOS?
Views: 764
Message 4 of 6

I have an X1 Yoga (3rd Gen) and I'm experiencing the exact same issue.  I just did a BIOS update last week I believe and it's been happening since then.  I had done quite a few updates (new machine) and wasn't sure what had caused my issue.  I'm going to try to roll back my BIOS update and see if it helps.

Were you also experiencing your keywbord/trackpad not working.  In additional to complete freezing, there were times when my keyboard and trackpad/point would not response.  I could still use touchscreen or on-screen keyboard but my input devices would not work. Sometimes it comes back and sometimes I have to put it to sleep and restart to get them back.

Very frustrating for a brand new, flagship machine to be acting this way.  I'll see if BIOS fixes and update this thread if it does.

HCervantes
Paper Tape
Views: 742
Message 5 of 6

Good luck! Please let us know if the process fixed, or at least helped, with your problem. And yes, my mouse and keyboards were not responsive before I reverted back to previous BIOS version. Now I am still having quite rarely same freezing but just last for two or three seconds.  

CA15
What's DOS?
Views: 508
Message 6 of 6

Hi - I too have had this problem.  Will try re-installing the older BIOS.  In the meantime - could someone at Lenovo possibly undertake to investigate the issue?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors