Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Isaac_fc4
What's DOS?
Views: 183
Message 1 of 2

Lenovo X1 Carbon 6th Gen EGPU setup

I have recently purchased a 6th gen x1 carbon. It is the model with a 512gb ssd and 16gb of ram. I am planning a setup for my dorm room that definitely could use some work. There are a lot of peripherals going into this so bear with me. My main question through explaining this is if there is a way to streamline the setup and make it more cost efficient. 

I am planning to major buys with this setup, the thinkpad ultradock and an Egpu. Regarding the Egpu, it will be a GTX 1070 mounted in a Razor Core V1.

My question is I feel like having both the dock and core is unnecessary. I ideally would like to come into my room and put my X1 straight into the dock, which will be closed and probably upright next to the Egpu. Where I see the problem is that I could just as easily do the setup without the dock and instead plug the Egpu into the TB3 port every time I get home, and simply have the peripherals connected to the Egpu housing. One of the pieces that is making me question the setup is I also intend to have an external SSD that will stay in my room with the Egpu and will store my video games to save space on the internal drive for classes and regular programs. I have been told that the SSD and Egpu cannot share the same port as there would not be enough bandwidth to support the two for how I intend to use it, mostly gaming. So here are a couple questions I would like answered.

1. Should I even bother with the Ultra Dock if I am getting the EGPU

2. What would be the best way to setup the external SSD

3. Is there an alternative to the ultradock so that I do not have to tediously plug in my X1 every time I come home. Thank you!

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 117
Message 2 of 2

Re: Lenovo X1 Carbon 6th Gen EGPU setup

Hi Isaac_fc4! 

Welcome to the community forums. Regarding to your questions. 

1. Should I even bother with the Ultra Dock if I am getting the EGPU

No need to to get the ultradock if you're not planning to expand the USB or Video output ports. However, if you have plans on connecting a USB mouse and other peripherals then it's a must.

1. What would be the best way to setup the external SSD

If the external SSD is a 2.5" SATA then you can just get a USB 3.0 to SATA adapter then connect it to either the left or right USB 3.0 port.

1. Is there an alternative to the ultradock so that I do not have to tediously plug in my X1 every time I come home. Thank you!

From https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/docksSearch/, there are other docks that are compatible for the X1 Carbon 6th Gen but the ThinkPad Ultra Docking Station is the most ideal.

Regards,

Matt_lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors