CH

8 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 1 of 3

Lenovo X1 Carbon 7th Gen Core Temperatures Windows vs Linux

2019-12-12, 19:22 PM

Hi

So I just got back my X1 Carbon 7th Gen - (Type 20QD, 20QE), i7 1.8 Ghz, 16GB RAM from the Lenovo repair centre. And I am not sure what to do now, as I don't think the problem has been fixed.

I dd'd back my Arch Linux-Windows Dual Boot installation, which I backed up before giving it away for repairing. I use Linux most of the time (for work) and I have a Windows installation next to it, just in case someone wants to play AoE or something.

I contacted Lenovo support in the beginning because I was curious about the fan spinning up while I was browsing websites using Chrome. I checked the cpu temperatures using pstate and realized that all core temperatures were almost always above 55° Celsius, while the average cpu load was around 10%. Further, the temperature never dropped below 45° Celsius. Now that I have my X1 back, I checked again and the temperature's are at the same levels as before the reparing took place.

So my questions are:

1. Is this normal then?
  2. Anyone else using Linux on a similar machine having the same kind of temperature characteristics?
  3. What core temperatures are Windows users observing?

Best

Options

331 Posts

11-26-2019

HK

136 Signins

2793 Page Views

• Views: 2793
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo X1 Carbon 7th Gen Core Temperatures Windows vs Linux

2019-12-13, 0:59 AM
45°C - 55°C CPU temperature is very normal for a laptop (unless you are talking about chassis temperature).

Here is one of the review you can check out for reference

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-2019-WQHD-Live-Review-Still-the-reference-among-business-laptops.427853.0.html#toc-emissions
Options

2 Posts

12-12-2019

CH

8 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo X1 Carbon 7th Gen Core Temperatures Windows vs Linux

2019-12-13, 10:10 AM

Thanks for your quick answer Legions. The thing is: Actually, I don't care about the cpu core temperatures. What I care about is the fan running very often while I am just browsing. And this is because of the high cpu core temperatures, I assume. 

I recorded 20 minutes of cpu temperatures and cpu load while browsing with my X1 (give or take 8 Chrome tabs open, no videos just text) and attached an image file to this post. Can someone confirm that this looks normal?

Edit: Added another recording using a different tool (s-tiu):

Can someone compare this to his/her own Linux machine?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete