Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pilo1337
Paper Tape
Views: 277
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo X1 Carbon 7th Gen WWAN Upgrade

hi folks,

i bought a new X1 Carbon 7th gen (machine code 20QE) with WWAN ready (LTE antenna is build in and i have plugs in the M2 slot for modem).

I checked which modems i can use and finally bought a fibocom L850-GL.

sadly though, after installing it the bios gave me "1802: unauthorized network card .. (8086/7360/8086/0020). and wont let me do anything.

bios is newest.

Is there any chance to get it to work?

thanks in advice,

pilo

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 253
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo X1 Carbon 7th Gen WWAN Upgrade

Welcome to the Community

What are the BIOS and EC versions on your laptop? Take a look at the 1st tab (Main) of the BIOS Setup.

The IDs you've provided belong to Lenovo branded wwan modem L850 which is approved for x1c gen7. So, the issue looks strange.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

pilo1337
Paper Tape
Views: 249
Message 3 of 6

hi,

bios version is N2HET33W (1.16), EC (i think you mean Embedded Controller?) Version is N2HHT23W (1.06).

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 196
Message 4 of 6

The BIOS & EC versions are the recent.

Without discussion about two whitelist sections content the BIOS of x1c gen7 has, presently the only version and advice I have is:
- probably, you inserted the modem without internal battery disabling. So, the modem or its interfaces on the system board could be under some electric potential. Though, I may be mistaken
- I suppose you aren't able to enter the BIOS Setup presently with the modem inserted. So, turn off the laptop, unplug the AC charger, remove the modem from the slot very carefully, do not touch the rest parts as the laptop isn't turned off completely
- wait a couple minutes
- turn on the laptop, enter the BIOS Setup, disable the WAN Wireless port (Security -> I/O Port Access section), save, boot the laptop
- reboot the laptop via Shift, enter the BIOS Setup, unplug the AC charger, disable internal battery (Config -> Power section). The laptop will power off itself completely
- insert the modem into the slot
- power on the laptop with AC charger, enter the BIOS Setup, load its default settings (F9), enable the WAN Wireless port, save, boot the laptop.

Hope this'll resolve issue. Otherwise, the culprit is in the BIOS whitelists content, the reason one wl section without L850 IDs is in use isn't clear for me presently while the other one has those IDs.

BTW, what'is the modem p/n (FRU or marketing p/n) on its sticker?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

pilo1337
Paper Tape
Views: 167
Message 5 of 6

Hi,

unfortunaly, this does not work either.

The FRU on the modem is 01AX792.

i will contact premier support, hope that they can help.

In my opinion, something went wront with the WL section. we will see.

If you get another idea, let me know. I will also share the answer of the Lenovo Support.

Thanks!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 153
Message 6 of 6

According to Lenovo' compatibility catalog the FRU 01AX792 is applicable for last year ThinkPad generation, x1c gen6 including. Present x1c gen7 should use L850 with another p/n, FRU 02HK709 (and 02HK712 for China market).

So, the answer you'll get from support, most likely, will be like "your modem isn't compatible, replace it", despite "old" and "current" modems L850 have the same PCI IDs. I don't know what's the real difference between the modems with different FRU p/ns, I suppose it's a settings value in the NVRAM only, not a hardware.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors