Options

9 Posts

11-07-2019

US

33 Signins

213 Page Views

• Views: 213
  • Message 1 of 1

Lenovo X1 Carbon 7th Gen X1C7 - SSD Power Loss Protection Function (Lenovo-unique PLP)

2019-11-15, 23:09 PM

Just purchased X1C7 with 1TB SSD M.2 2280 NVMe TLC OPAL.

When reading the User Guide, on page 44, I came across this section:

Use Power Loss Protection function (for selected models)

For models shipped with an NVMe (Non-Volatile Memory express) M.2 solid-state drive, the M.2
solid-state drive features the Lenovo-unique PLP (Power Loss Protection) function to avoid data
loss or damage. On very rare occasions, your computer is not responding and you might have to shut
down your computer by pressing and holding the power button for about seven seconds. In this case,
the PLP function enables key data of your computer to be saved timely. However, there is no
guarantee that all data is saved in any situation. (Emphasis added by me).

To check the type of your M.2 solid-state drive:
1.  Restart the computer. When the logo screen is displayed, press F10 to enter the Lenovo
diagnostics window.
2.  On the TOOLS tab, select SYSTEM INFORMATION ➙ STORAGE using the arrow keys.
3.  Locate the Device Type section to check the information.

This is very startling.  I have two questions:

1.    What does this mean to me?  Is my data at risk of loss in case of power failure?

2.    The title of the section is "Use Power Loss Protection......"  Do I have to enable something to USE it, or is it enabled automatically.

I've searched the entire Lenovo Knowledgebase, and done google searches for Lenovo PLP, Lenovo-unique, Lenovo Power Loss Protection, and can't find any information except pointers to various Lenovo user guides that say the same thing as I clipped from my user guide.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete