Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

10 Posts

05-13-2021

Canada

9 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 1 of 21

Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen 4 - Battery Issues

2021-05-13, 21:01 PM

Hell to all, I'm hoping someone here may have some insight into a recent issue that occurred.

I have a 4th gen X1 Carbon laptop, in great shape, with a battery that was operating perfectly fine, low cycle count, no issues at all, until the other day, while in a video chat, the system got tugged across the desk: no obvious signs of any damage to the AC adapter port, but upon looking closer, they battery stopped showing that it was plugged in (system was connected via AC adapter at the time). Since then, the remaining battery power dissipated, and they system will not boot up when plugged in via the AC adapter. The power light blinks 3 times and that's it: no post, nothing else.

I tried absolutely everything I could think of in terms of fixing the issue: the classic disable the battery in the bios, (this was before the battery completely dissipated), no change, reset the battery via the tiny port on the back of the unit, still nothing. Searched online everywhere, still unable to find a solution.

Upon opening the unit, and removing the battery, the unit then powers up with the battery removed, although extremely slow and laggy whereas before it was running at excellent speed (I had upgraded the M.2 to a 500GB Western Digital Black NVMe drive). It also shows in the battery notification section that it's plugged in, and at 255% battery health?

From here, I've tested it with 4 other adapters, same problem, with or without the battery installed: with the battery in, no boot, just 3 flashes of the power light. Without: boots, but is incredibly slow.

The only thing left to try would be replacing the battery, but I'm still not sure that will solve the issue. I would assume that if the input jack were damaged when it got tugged, then it would not allow me to boot via the AC adapter, which it does every time with the battery removed. 

I've even run the built in diagnostics in the bios when the battery is removed, and it passes the entire extended test 100% (obviously not the battery though, as at that point, there was no charge left for me to test it).

I'm left trying to track down a replacement battery to test, unless anyone has any other thoughts or ideas as to what could have happened? As I said, it was barely moved a half a foot when it got tugged, I've had laptops see FAR worse in my day and have no issues, this one has me stumped!

Thanks!

Options

4179 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

326 Signins

20725 Page Views

• Views: 20725
  • Message 2 of 21

Re:Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen 4 - Battery Issues

2021-05-13, 23:09 PM

Hello BRMC,

Welcome to Lenovo Community

Kindly check this related topic from the forums:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Sudden-battery-and-performance-issues-X1-Carbon-4th-Gen/m-p/4596494

You may also see this link for additional idea about battery:
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ph/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x1-carbon-type-20fb-20fc/solutions/ht509084-battery-qa

Hope this helps

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

10 Posts

05-13-2021

Canada

9 Signins

45 Page Views

• Message 3 of 21

2021-05-13, 23:35 PM

Hi Lorenzo,

Thanks, but as I mentioned, I scoured the web, and have already read basically everything posted, including the two links you shared.  Just to clarify, I'm a technician, and have worked on countless laptops. In this situation, I was right there when it happened, so I know the exact status of my unit prior to this happening. Nothing was wrong prior, it got yanked about a half foot across the table, and now the issues are posted above. This is not an issue regarding the battery not charging, it's an issue regarding the computer not even turning on with the battery installed, once removed, the unit boots up fine, but extremely slow.

In typical situations, the main culprit would be the AC adapter port, but as the AC adapter port is still powering on the unit (without the battery installed) and is also hard soldered to the motherboard, that would be an extremely intensive repair: IF that is even the problem. There were no issues with the battery prior, no charging problems, no swelling, etc. But what exactly would make the system not able to boot with the battery drained dead and hooked up via the AC adapter is beyond me. I've had countless clients who's laptops have been running with a dead battery installed, but simply use it always connected via the adapter. Does the battery in these models over-ride the AC adapter? That wouldn't make sense, and I've yet to see that on any laptop I've worked on, in those cases, the system continues to operate as long as the AC adapter is plugged in, if unplugged, the system loses power and shuts off.

The adapter isn't the issue, as I've tested it with 4 known, working adapters with the same outcome.

What would make a battery just go dead, and on top of it, keep the laptop from being able to even power on when the AC adapter is responsible for the powering of the unit? It honestly doesn't make any sense, as this has been a well cared for laptop without ever having a prior issue.

Has anyone else experienced this specific situation? As I said, I'm skeptical that a new battery would solve the issue considering the one inside, even if faulty, should not cause the unit to be unable to power up via the AC adapter. I understand it's possible that not having the battery installed could be the reason for the performance issue, as while the battery was discharging what it had left, there were no performance issues, only once the battery was removed did the computer start to lag like crazy. Not to mention, the FULL EXTENDED Lenovo diagnostics were run on the unit without the battery, and not a single issue was found in terms of the hardware that is actually removable and replaceable.

Is this basically headed for the scrap heap now? :/

Options

5660 Posts

04-25-2008

United States of America

40111 Signins

771747 Page Views

• Views: 771747
  • Message 4 of 21

2021-05-14, 2:27 AM

Hi BRMC, Can you post a capture of the battery health details mentioned in your first post please? That often helps the community zero-in on battery-related issues!

USB-C: Just cos it fits don't mean it works.
I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Options

10 Posts

05-13-2021

Canada

9 Signins

45 Page Views

• Message 5 of 21

2021-05-14, 5:22 AM
You mean where the unit is booted without the battery, but shows 255% in the bottom right of the task bar? If so, you bet, I'll post up a photo tomorrow, if you mean something else, just clarify and I'll happily post whatever you think would help.
Options

5660 Posts

04-25-2008

United States of America

40111 Signins

771747 Page Views

• Message 6 of 21

2021-05-14, 14:24 PM

Hi BRMC, I'm referring to the Battery Details page in the Lenovo Vantage app, looks like this:

https://forums.lenovo.com/uploads/topic/202012/1607409922230.png

Options

10 Posts

05-13-2021

Canada

9 Signins

45 Page Views

• Message 7 of 21

2021-05-14, 17:23 PM

Mate, if you were reading what I posted, then you'd know that they system will not boot with the battery INSTALLED. There's no way to check Vantage's battery level if the only way the system powers on is when the battery is removed. Please read what I posted first: ALL the information is very detailed and lists exactly what is going on.

-Recap: System got tugged across the desk while connected via AC adapter.

-Battery stopped showing it was charging.

-Battery finally depleted and any initial attempts to solve the problem were tried (All listed in initial post).

-System would not power on with depleted battery inside, multiple working AC Adapters were tested: no difference, system would not boot, the power light blinks 3 times, then nothing.

-Opened system, removed battery, once the battery is removed, system boots up fine, but is extremely slow and lags like an old dog. (brand new WD Black 500 NVMe Drive: perfect condition.)

So again, there is absolutely no way for me to test the battery (as listed above, again, the FULL Lenovo BIOS diagnostics were run: all hardware that is present, are 100% (battery cannot be tested because again, the only way to boot the system is to remove the battery cell).

So all I can figure out at this point, is either the AC Adapter input got damaged, but if so, why would it power on the unit without the battery installed if that were the case?

Or, somehow that slight tug across the desk caused some sort of damage to the battery.

I hope that makes the situation very clear. Any ideas beyond what I have already intensively tried and posted are much appreciated.

Options

5660 Posts

04-25-2008

United States of America

40111 Signins

771747 Page Views

• Message 8 of 21

2021-05-15, 16:47 PM
Any time I've seen this kind of behavior, it's been a dead battery. If it's the 2016 original, the odds are high.
Options

10 Posts

05-13-2021

Canada

9 Signins

45 Page Views

• Message 9 of 21

2021-05-15, 17:10 PM

In terms of a dead battery, it was in perfect health (according to Vantage) prior to this happening, and had a cycle count under 100 (I believe around 70-something). Would a system getting tugged liked it did completely kill a battery to the point where the system won't even start with the AC Adapter? I've seen all sorts of damaged laptops over the years, but generally a battery, and an internal one as well, is pretty robust, as in, systems have gone down a flight of stairs, destroyed the screen and keyboard completely, while the battery remained intact. In this case, it got pulled maybe a half a foot, a foot at max, as it was on a small side table barely big enough to hold the unit, any further would have pulled it onto the floor.

My only other main bit that confuses me: I have yet to see a laptop battery that's died, cause a system to be unable to boot when connected via the AC Adapter (with the battery still installed): in all cases I've come across, the AC adapter takes priority, and the battery, however the condition, is basically ignored, and the system boots as usual. Taking out the battery, there are no signs of damage, as there was no impact to the top of the system, like something falling on the system's keyboard / logic board underneath, you know what I mean?

Another question you may have an answer to: why then, when the battery is removed, the system boots up fine, but why is it EXTREMELY slow (we're talking, lag just clicking the start button, when there's a brand new, high end NVMe drive installed)? Does having a battery installed have anything in particular to do with how the system performs? Again, this is something I have not come across before, as again, in all the cases I've experienced, the AC adapter is plenty powerful enough to run a system with a dead battery, with no issue to the performance of the laptop.

Options

5660 Posts

04-25-2008

United States of America

40111 Signins

771747 Page Views

• Message 10 of 21

2021-05-16, 15:07 PM

Yes my experience is that batteries don't always fail gracefully. The main determinants of battery longevity are age, use, and temperature. Yes some ThinkPad's do run slower when no battery is installed - their design assumes that an operating battery is present. Batteries are consumables - if this is the orginal 2016 battery, you got your money's worth!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms