Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

05-14-2015

Campbell, CA

14 Signins

41 Page Views

• Views: 41
  • Message 251 of 315

Re:Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen 9 Throttling Issues

2021-06-19, 18:39 PM

Does anyone know if this issue is also applies to X1 Yoga Gen 6? Is the cooling system on X1Y6 laptop exactly the same?

I have an x1y6 (i7 1165-g7) and am willing to test a little if that would be helpful... So far, the only issues I've noticed are that battery life isn't close to what I'd expect (even on "better battery" with minimal user application load, and that the fan runs more often than I'd expect when plugged in. 

I would be happy if I could reduce performance very significantly (because this laptop is pretty fast) for more battery life when I need it, but I definitely don't want automatic throttling because of insufficient cooling.

Options

92 Posts

07-30-2015

United States of America

131 Signins

907 Page Views

• Views: 907
  • Message 252 of 315

2021-06-19, 20:24 PM

@ fishstik5 wrote:

@ mcjazzman wrote:

between 2,6- 3,0 GHz on heavy CPU / iGPU load without having this weird throttling behavior ... for couple of hours

2.6+ GHz on Tiger Lake-U CPUs requires more than 45W of power. I very much doubt you were sustaining that much power for hours. No laptop of this size can do that.

Here is the thermal behavior of all the top-performing iGPU ultrabooks. None of these can sustain more than 2.5GHz under load.

source? what does /ww mean?

Options

92 Posts

07-30-2015

United States of America

131 Signins

907 Page Views

• Views: 907
  • Message 253 of 315

2021-06-19, 20:25 PM

@ SamDaMan wrote:

Dear friends,

I think I might have a fix to the throttle problem! Although I was able to find some success in my modifications, it is still no excuse for Lenovo' thermal design. However, with the modifications, I experience minimal throttling (at least >2.8GHz on heavy workloads and >3.5GHz on normal workloads) on a sustained synthetic workload such as Cinebench R23. I' certain I' not the first person to stumble upon this fix, but I' glad to share with all of you what I have done so far. Below is the number of things that I have done to fix the throttling problem. I have been doing trials and errors for months and here are my two pieces of wisdom. Please do understand each computer is built differently and there WILL be variation between computers. 

First things first, the synapse of my specs:

Model: X1 Carbon G9

CPU: i7-1185g7

RAM: 32GB

Screen: 4k

Power Supply: 60W

BIOS Version: 1.39

Bios performance mode when plugged in: Max Performance

Intelligent Cooling: On

Windows Version: 21H1 OS 19043.1055 Windows 10 Pro

Step 1: Power off the computer and replace the stock thermal paste. I strongly recommend using the Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste as it has one of the best heat transfer ratings. To replace the thermal paste you have to dismount heat sync. Grab a multi-bit screwdriver set (I used the IFIXIT 64 Bit Driver Kit). Be super careful to not bend the heat pipe or else say goodbye to your laptop :( Please see the X1 Yoga and X1 Carbon Hardware Maintenance Manual. Do know that if you follow the HMM, you will not break your warranty. But if you damage the laptop, well... I guess you have to ask a Lenovo Rep. I purposely over-applied my thermal paste.

Step 2: Make sure nothing is clogging the fan unit. Gently dust off any dusts. DO NOT USE COMPRESSED AIR as it might just straight-up break the weak fins in the fan unit. 

Step 3: Download Throttlestop.

Step 4: Follow my settings.

Step 5: Set throttlestop to turn on at system boot by using Task Scheduler and set to trigger at startup.

Testing method: 23C Room temperature, Cinebench R23 Multicore, 60W Power Supply.

Results: 5032 points, constant >3.2 GHz speed, constant 25W CPU power draw. No significant drop in clock speed in a sustained load. Keyboard warm to the touch but not scorching. No significant heating issue around the ESC key due to the improved thermal paste.

Feel free to ask me any further questions. If there is a demand, I can make a Youtube video detailing every step. 

too many things... which one actually makes an impact?

Options

39 Posts

05-31-2021

United States of America

54 Signins

590 Page Views

• Views: 590
  • Message 254 of 315

2021-06-19, 20:51 PM

Also consider this idea. The X1CG9 has a different thermal design for sure, but the overall architecture is very similar between models of this generation. I'd be surprised if dropping to 5W is ever necessary.

I'd keep a very close eye on thermals, though. Especially the battery, which I think is the most sensitive to heat. HWiNFO can read out various different temperature sensor for me. 

Options

21 Posts

04-28-2021

United States of America

30 Signins

215 Page Views

• Views: 215
  • Message 255 of 315

2021-06-19, 21:47 PM

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1L3TOLDzDn3ffriuUYI4CZJtDXsnYzl0LS5SFW2qUHEo/edit#gid=325084968

WWW means it does not steadily sustain the listed CPU power during stress test, instead ramping power in a sawtooth pattern. The other pattern is square-wave (⎍⎍⎍).

Options

17 Posts

05-26-2021

Bulgaria

12 Signins

65 Page Views

• Views: 65
  • Message 256 of 315

2021-06-20, 9:32 AM

@ SamDaMan wrote:

Dear friends,

I think I might have a fix to the throttle problem! Although I was able to find some success in my modifications, it is still no excuse for Lenovo' thermal design. However, with the modifications, I experience minimal throttling (at least >2.8GHz on heavy workloads and >3.5GHz on normal workloads) on a sustained synthetic workload such as Cinebench R23. I' certain I' not the first person to stumble upon this fix, but I' glad to share with all of you what I have done so far. Below is the number of things that I have done to fix the throttling problem. I have been doing trials and errors for months and here are my two pieces of wisdom. Please do understand each computer is built differently and there WILL be variation between computers. 

Step 1: Power off the computer and replace the stock thermal paste. I strongly recommend using the Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste as it has one of the best heat transfer ratings. To replace the thermal paste you have to dismount heat sync. Grab a multi-bit screwdriver set (I used the IFIXIT 64 Bit Driver Kit). Be super careful to not bend the heat pipe or else say goodbye to your laptop :( Please see the X1 Yoga and X1 Carbon Hardware Maintenance Manual. Do know that if you follow the HMM, you will not break your warranty. But if you damage the laptop, well... I guess you have to ask a Lenovo Rep. I purposely over-applied my thermal paste.

Step 2: Make sure nothing is clogging the fan unit. Gently dust off any dusts. DO NOT USE COMPRESSED AIR as it might just straight-up break the weak fins in the fan unit. 

Step 5: Set throttlestop to turn on at system boot by using Task Scheduler and set to trigger at startup.

Testing method: 23C Room temperature, Cinebench R23 Multicore, 60W Power Supply.

Results: 5032 points, constant >3.2 GHz speed, constant 25W CPU power draw. No significant drop in clock speed in a sustained load. Keyboard warm to the touch but not scorching. No significant heating issue around the ESC key due to the improved thermal paste.

Feel free to ask me any further questions. If there is a demand, I can make a Youtube video detailing every step. 

Hello, with your settings my throttling hits above 4.2Ghz on load any idea (I had same CPU)?

Options

5 Posts

06-20-2021

Germany

4 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 257 of 315

2021-06-20, 10:38 AM

H@ SamDaMan wrote:

Dear friends,

@ SamDaMan wrote:

Dear friends,

Hello everbody, following this thread since day 1 - I also experience heavy throttling and "overheating". Its impossible to play dota 2 on mid settings without any heavy stuttering for some seconds. I tried with the lid open and closed, the surface is scorching. 

I tried the settings above (without replacing thermal paste) but didnt really experience any improvement. Even if I set the fans manually to maxium via TPFanControll, the Laptop gets very hot.

Is this even possible, that you are not able to play a low end game this machine? It barely runs worse as on my old T440s. Actually I think im going to open a warranty complain at lenovo.

Best

Options

5 Posts

06-20-2021

Germany

4 Signins

30 Page Views

• Message 258 of 315

2021-06-20, 12:11 PM
Quick Update: If battery is charging connected to my dell screen (60W), best performance and intelligent cooling off, lid closed, I have a cinebench r23 Multicore Result of 3541! Wth!
Options

5 Posts

06-18-2021

Singapore

9 Signins

30 Page Views

• Message 259 of 315

2021-06-20, 12:12 PM
Hi mate, You have to replace the thermal paste to achieve better results. It is because the underlying problem is a thermal problem, not a firmware problem. In fact, if heat is not moved quickly enough from the CPU to the fan, no amount of software tweaking can achieve significant results. ThrottleStop was used due to the improved thermal headroom created by the mod to squeeze out any last performance. I do not recommend doing the mod without doing some research in the hardware maintenance manual and different types of thermal pastes. If you know what you are doing, it will only take 15 mins at most to do the mod. So far I've had a significant gain in performance (i.e. no more 0.4GHz throttling on CPU-heavy tasks). I'm happy to make a detailed guide if there is enough interest in this matter. Do let me know if you have any further questions. Best
Options

6 Posts

06-11-2021

Thailand

10 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 260 of 315

2021-06-20, 17:49 PM

Personally, there is absolutely NO WAY that I'm buying a 3000$ laptop to open it day 1 to change a "thermal paste". Nope.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)