Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

363 Posts

11-26-2019

Hong Kong S.A.R of China

170 Signins

3093 Page Views

• Views: 3093
  • Message 31 of 67

Re:Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen 9 Throttling Issues

2021-05-04, 0:04 AM

@Lorenzo_Lenovo 

I think you have misunderstood what people including me are talking about on this topic.

Throttling is expected when you put some load in this laptop. We understand that. The problem we have is the throttling behavior of X1 Carbon Gen 9 is completely different from the others. Instead of throttling to a lower, stable clock rate, X1C9 will have its clock rate fluctuate between 4.0 GHz and 0.8 GHz from time to time. 

This behavior leads to the device being almost unusable when under load, no matter whether it is running games or more demanding productive works. Because it will be smooth for a while, then become super unresponsive, then keep repeating the cycle.

Be careful what you are saying there Lorenzo, the fact you mentioned it is "intended behavior" will quickly spread to the internet which may discourage potential customers from buying this laptop.

Options

6 Posts

02-20-2018

Canada

18 Signins

141 Page Views

• Views: 141
  • Message 32 of 67

2021-05-04, 11:44 AM
I want to point out that in linux you do NOT have the same behaviour. What you have is that after severe load you get the drop tp 6 watts / 400 mhz but then the system comes back to 2400 mhz and holds there (cpu temp about 60C). I do not see the bizarre fluctuation up and down except in windows.
Options

363 Posts

11-26-2019

Hong Kong S.A.R of China

170 Signins

3093 Page Views

• Message 33 of 67

2021-05-04, 13:25 PM
Same behavior as if Intelligent Cooling is off (Fn + T), which means Intelligent Cooling simply doesn't work in Linux.
Options

10 Posts

04-17-2021

Spain

24 Signins

120 Page Views

• Views: 120
  • Message 34 of 67

2021-05-04, 14:42 PM
I have tried to press FN+T on windows 10 and nothing happens. ¿? What's wrong?
Options

6 Posts

02-20-2018

Canada

18 Signins

141 Page Views

• Views: 141
  • Message 35 of 67

2021-05-04, 18:11 PM
"Same behavior as if Intelligent Cooling is off (Fn + T), which means Intelligent Cooling simply doesn't work in Linux. " that's interesting; but intelligent cooling doesn't seem very intelligent :)
Options

363 Posts

11-26-2019

Hong Kong S.A.R of China

170 Signins

3093 Page Views

• Message 36 of 67

2021-05-05, 5:42 AM

@Lorenzo_Lenovo I'm not sure whether you have gotten the right idea of what issue we are actually facing. So far, your replies are pretty generic, unhelpful, and no better than an auto-reply bot on Reddit. I just want to know one question:

Is this behavior, not general thermal throttling, considered abnormal by Lenovo? If yes, is Lenovo planning to fix it?

If the answers to both of the questions are no, then I will ask for a refund.

Options

363 Posts

11-26-2019

Hong Kong S.A.R of China

170 Signins

3093 Page Views

• Message 37 of 67

2021-05-05, 8:50 AM

@Andy_Lenovo Do you have a chance to take a look at this issue? Apparently, there is a design flaw on one of the most, if not the most premium product of Lenovo and it is happening for the majority of the owners. Unfortunately, it appears that @Lorenzo_Lenovo is either doesn't understand the situation or is incompetent to handle the situation.

In short, this is how the CPU performs when it is underload. This applies to all available CPU models on X1C9. As shown by the graph, when the device has reached the thermal threshold, instead of throttling the CPU to a lower, stable clock rate, it just goes nuts and bouncing between max. clock rate and min. clock rate repeatedly. This leads to the device suffers extreme shutter and is basically unusable when under load. And by under load, I mean anything above 50% CPU usage when turbo boost.

Our questions are

1. Does Lenovo believe this behavior is normal and intended?
    Lorenzo said yes, but I find it hard to believe Lenovo engineers are that incompetent and fail to realize how ridiculous these graphs are. I would rather choose to believe it is Lorenzo who has zero clues about what is going on.

2. If the answer of (1) is no, then is Lenovo planning to fix it?

3. If the answer of (3) is yes, then is there an ETA on when will a patch be released?

Remember, X1 Carbon is one of the most premium products Lenovo offers if Lenovo is able to screw up this bad and unable to resolve it within a short period of time, how can we trust Lenovo any further for the rest of its products?

Options

1 Posts

05-05-2021

Canada

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 38 of 67

2021-05-05, 19:14 PM

@ Legions wrote:

@Andy_Lenovo Do you have a chance to take a look at this issue? Apparently, there is a design flaw on one of the most, if not the most premium product of Lenovo and it is happening for the majority of the owners. Unfortunately, it appears that @Lorenzo_Lenovo is either doesn' understand the situation or is incompetent to handle the situation.

In short, this is how the CPU performs when it is underload. This applies to all available CPU models on X1C9. As shown by the graph, when the device has reached the thermal threshold, instead of throttling the CPU to a lower, stable clock rate, it just goes nuts and bouncing between max. clock rate and min. clock rate repeatedly. This leads to the device suffers extreme shutter and is basically unusable when under load. And by under load, I mean anything above 50% CPU usage when turbo boost.

Our questions are

1. Does Lenovo believe this behavior is normal and intended?
    Lorenzo said yes, but I find it hard to believe Lenovo engineers are that incompetent and fail to realize how ridiculous these graphs are. I would rather choose to believe it is Lorenzo who has zero clues about what is going on.

2. If the answer of (1) is no, then is Lenovo planning to fix it?

3. If the answer of (3) is yes, then is there an ETA on when will a patch be released?

Remember, X1 Carbon is one of the most premium products Lenovo offers if Lenovo is able to screw up this bad and unable to resolve it within a short period of time, how can we trust Lenovo any further for the rest of its products?

I just spoke to Lenovo sales, directing agent to this thread (especially message 37 which he read during phone call), explained why this is an important issue, and asked him to alert the appropriate staff to the problem who will respond on this forum and to me.  Suggested that he also do a google search on this problem with the new X1 which will indicate that problem goes beyond mention on this forum.  He also confirmed that I have 30 days to return the unit, but am hoping that a simple patch will fix this and that problem is not design flaw that cannot be fixed.   

I read the above statement to the agent: "Remember, X1 Carbon is one of the most premium products Lenovo offers if Lenovo is able to screw up this bad and unable to resolve it within a short period of time, how can we trust Lenovo any further for the rest of its products?"

Options

363 Posts

11-26-2019

Hong Kong S.A.R of China

170 Signins

3093 Page Views

• Message 39 of 67

2021-05-07, 3:25 AM

So supports, your plan to handle this issue is to ghost us? Seriously? It has been over a month now. And you are not even capable of answering simple questions like whether this is considered an issue for Lenovo.

Options

1 Posts

05-07-2021

China

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 40 of 67

2021-05-07, 5:59 AM

my x1c9 (1165g7/32g/1T/4k) have the same problem and it bother me so much.

I have tried many methods such as disable DTGP / use the throttlestop / disable auto cooling fan, but it all doesn't work very well.

Hope Lenovo will consider it an issue and fix it in the next BIOS update asap.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms