Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryan108
Paper Tape
Views: 581
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo X1 Carbon Yoga 3rd gen - Pen issues/inconsistency

I recently purchased a Lenovo Yoga X1 Carbon with a 4K screen (non HDR). I have been having a lot of problems with the pen and before returning it, wanted to check in to see if anyone had suggestions as it feels like a software issue. 

When I got the laptop, I started testing out the pen in multiple applicaitons. When wrtiting i was getting jagged lines in my writing, either text or sketches. It would make small zig-zag lines seemingly at random. I tried updating firmware working with support, and it did nothing to fix the issue. I also have a seperate Samsung S4 tablet and have used a Microsoft Surface and neither of those had similar issues and the writing was fine, so this served as a reference. 

I returned this laptop and got the same model. The new one didnt have the zig-zags so that was an improvmenet. Howerver, now there was a new issue which i didnt notice on the prior laptop. Now when writing, it will stop writing seemingly at random for short intervals resulting in either not writing at all or dashes in the writing. I will write a sentance and there will be gaps in letters. Sometimes it wont write anything at all. I will write a line and it will wind up with dashes in the line. Howerver it is incosistent which makes me feel it is a software issue. I will get the dashes, stop for a minute, and then start writing again and it works fine. Sometime it works perfectly, sometime it has dashes all over the place. Very inconsistent and frustrating. 

I have updated the laptop worked with support. No luck. I like the laptop, but it seems pointless to keep it if the pen doesnt work. I got it for that purpose and can get the regular X1 Carbon for less and a smaller size. Any suggestions from anyone on things to try before I return it? Anyone else have this issue? 

thinkpop
Paper Tape
Views: 552
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo X1 Carbon Yoga 3rd gen - Pen issues/inconsistency

This seems to be caused by the widespread display freezing issue - see this thread for solution - https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1Y3-Randomly-lags/m-p/4322847#M95265

Ryan108
Paper Tape
Views: 543
Message 3 of 6

Thanks, i just check my version of Intel drive and i am at 24.20 under the settings.

I should add that I am not sure if this is related as the interuptions are on the scale of fractions of a second. For example, I will be writing the letter "e" and only a small section of it will be skipped, so not the whole letter. When the writing doesnt respond at all, that sounds like it could be a match. 

Any additonal thoughts? 

thinkpop
Paper Tape
Views: 541
Message 4 of 6

The best way to check is to disable all intel optimization options under "Power" tab and see if it helps.

Ryan108
Paper Tape
Views: 537
Message 5 of 6

I just made these settings changes. Is this the area you mean?

power settings.png

thinkpop
Paper Tape
Views: 534
Message 6 of 6

Yeah, this is it.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals