01-18-2019

US

83 Signins

775 Page Views

• Views: 775
  • Message 1 of 17

Lenovo X1 Extreme Gen2 Black Screen Freezes and High CPU Temperatures

2019-12-28, 11:10 AM

OK giving this another go. My new X1 Exteme Gen 2 experiences on average a couple of black screen freezes per day. I need to force shut it down and restart.

Using HWMonitor, I can see that my idle CPU temperatures are typically in mid 50s Celsius (130 or so degF). During regular load the temperatures the fans will often spin up and temperatures will reach 99 degC. I'm not even sure about the temperatures under heavy CPU load when the freezes usually occurs. (EDIT: the temperature reached 91C/195F just while typing this).

I need this laptop for work so I cannot wait weeks to send it back, have it repaired, replaced, etc. unless I absolutely have to. I'm planning to reapply the thermal paste as I'm reading this is often the problem (excessive paste applied in the factory. This is also the reason why I don't want to send it - I might just get another CPU/MoBo with the same issue).

Does anyone know if reapplying the paste would help? Apparently, this doesn't void the warranty if no physical damage is done in the process. What should be the normal temperature under load? Is it possible to reach it this way and avoid system freezes?

(EDIT 2: 99C/210F reached afer hitting "Post")

Options

31 Posts

10-26-2019

US

37 Signins

560 Page Views

• Views: 560
  • Message 2 of 17

Re: Lenovo X1 Extreme Gen2 Black Screen Freezes and High CPU Temperatures

2019-12-28, 13:16 PM

Does your laptop do this?

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Extreme-Gen-2-4K-UHD-Freezing-amp-Screen-Artifacts-Dead-GPU/td-p/4595642

Also I can't edit my original post but here's video #6. I filmed it freezing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cLmZll0OjI&t=

-Pat

Options

45 Posts

01-18-2019

US

83 Signins

775 Page Views

• Message 3 of 17

2019-12-28, 14:05 PM

Hi patg84,

I actually found your YT videos and Reddit posts while looking around. Sorry to see you're also going through this. 

My issue is bit different. I don't have screen flickering, parts of the image visible and part black, etc. so I don't think it's the GPU. The whole computer freezes and the screen goes black. That's all. From my experience looks more like a CPU thermal management issue or severe corruption of low level drivers. 

Options

45 Posts

01-18-2019

US

83 Signins

775 Page Views

• Message 4 of 17

2019-12-28, 22:44 PM

I just had another freeze. Event Viewer tells me this is the 9th one in 7 days.

Interesting thing is that the only thinkg that was responsive during this time was keyboard background lighting input (Fn + Space). Nothing else except for the power button force shut down was working but I was able to change the background lighting.

Options

31 Posts

10-26-2019

US

37 Signins

560 Page Views

• Message 5 of 17

2019-12-29, 4:05 AM

Can you post a screen shot of what you're seeing in the event viewer? Fwiw I see some generic error with about the wiman service and how it's not comparable after a freeze and a power cycle.

When you say the screen goes black, can you describe how? The entire thing? Has it even done it partially? Does it only do it when it's on the Nvidia GPU or the Intel 630?

For me, in event viewer the actual shutdown without proper power down is logged when I manually hold down the power button. That would indicate that the system is still responsive but it really isn't. The backlit keyboard is a bios thing and low level hardware access to turn it on and off will still work. Notice the FN+Esc combo works to turn on and off the LED on the Esc key but the caps lock key doesn't.

If I leave the system alone long enough without powering down event viewer logs an unsafe shutdown at some point and the machine becomes cold to the touch at this point.

Try running a constant ping from another machine on your network to the offending laptop. See if the pings drop out as the black screen occurs.

Options

45 Posts

01-18-2019

US

83 Signins

775 Page Views

• Message 6 of 17

2019-12-31, 14:56 PM

Sorry about late reply, holidays and all.

I nuked Windows so I only have a couple of crashes recorded from yesterday and the day before. But it's a bunch of critical errors regarding Windows: start menu experience, runtime broker, search, Settings app, desktop window manager, smart audio, etc. "Stopped working" errors. And "Windows not properly shut down" of course, following each freeze, exactly the way you have them. I checked what you mentioned regarding the BIOS related inputs still working while the rest of the system being frozen.

As for the screen, there is really not much to it. It's lit but black, as in it is on but showing nothing except for the black pixels (I have the base model screen). Completely black, nothing else. It usually happens during high workload, but it also happened during regular work. So I'm not sure about if it's one or both graphic cards and/or CPU. Or some driver or whatever. I'm just sick of it, but I'm even more sick of the prospect of returning this, waiting again for one month, etc.

So have you returned your laptop to have your GPU checked or replaced?

Options

31 Posts

10-26-2019

US

37 Signins

560 Page Views

• Message 7 of 17

2019-12-31, 15:17 PM

I'm going to do a full write up on my blog when I get a chance. However in the meantime here's what I know so far. The laptop has frozen, etc straight out of the box with the stock 8gb Samsung stick. I tried Linux via a USB stick. It froze there as well. So that rules out the OS causing this since it happens in both Windows and Linux.

I tested the 8gb stick for boot time from a cold start in both slot 0 and slot 1. I've run memtest on the 8gb in both slots. Tests finish roughly in the same time frame. However slot 0 seemed to take about 5 minutes extra to finish.

I bought (2) Samsung 32gb 2666 modules from Amazon. With those two sticks in the machine I still experience issues. Random freezing same thing as with 8gb stick. now the beginning I tried both of those sticks at the exact same time for the full 64gb. When I realized it was still freezing and locking up I started to do individual memtests on each one to rule out the memory.

The odds of a stock 8gb stick and two brand new 32 sticks from an outside source bad at the same time isn't really possible.

Currently I'm testing each of the 32gb sticks in each one of the memory slots 0 and 1 respectively.

So far it seems that slot number 0 takes almost an hour more of time to complete the 32gb test then it does in slot number 1. Seen above with a shorter time for the 8gb stick because it's smaller.

Now here is the weird part. The computer locked up when using one single 8 gig stick in slot 0 while using Windows and Linux. I experienced random freezing at the start of testing for one of the 32gb sticks in slot 0 with memtest. However I'm now testing the second 32 gig stick in slot 0 with zero freezes. We're only an hour and a half into the 8-hour test so I'll know later. But usually in memtest it will fail before it gets to an hour.

The only thing I can say for certain is that I've seen the machine lock up forever from a cold start 8 minutes in and it's also randomly frozen around 14 hours. Also when a freeze does occur, pings to the machine over the network time out and stop and the fans shut off and the top of the system (keyboard near screen) gets cold while the system is completely frozen with the exception of the backlit keyboard control.

Personally I think this is a motherboard issue now. I will have to upgrade to onsite support and have them come out and replace the board. I have more than enough data to support this claim. I'm even going to order 2 additional sticks of Samsung 32gb from Newegg to rule out bad memory. But like I said three sticks coming from different suppliers with the serial numbers nowhere near each other failing, doesn't happen.

Slot 0 seems to hang up and do its own thing. Slot 1 seems to play happily with any stick.

Options

45 Posts

01-18-2019

US

83 Signins

775 Page Views

• Message 8 of 17

2020-01-16, 17:00 PM

So forum is back online.

I'm still having the freezes on regular basis, typically two per day. But they mostly come in pairs, i.e. if I have one, the other will soon follow, most certainly.

I got my replacement scheduled but it will take until next month. This puts me in approx. 2.5 months since the initial order was made. I hope the next one will work better and won't exhibit these issues.

Options

31 Posts

10-26-2019

US

37 Signins

560 Page Views

• Message 9 of 17

2020-01-16, 19:18 PM

Is this next biz day support or through the depot?

Options

45 Posts

01-18-2019

US

83 Signins

775 Page Views

• Message 10 of 17

2020-01-19, 22:00 PM

It's depot.

However based on waiting time I think the replacement is coming from China. I hope it will be a new, properly manufactured and tested batch.

Hey, I haven't heard from you - have you asked for repair, replacement, etc...? Any response from Lenovo?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete