12-01-2019

CL

208 Signins

1774 Page Views

• Views: 1774
  • Message 11 of 17

Re: Lenovo X1 Extreme Gen2 Black Screen Freezes and High CPU Temperatures

2020-01-19, 23:30 PM
I just want to comment that besides the keyboard problem (who is really annoying), paltry battery life and the "chassis" thing... this notebook is ROCK SOLID stable. No complaints at all.

Good luck with your replacement.
Options

31 Posts

10-26-2019

US

37 Signins

560 Page Views

• Views: 560
  • Message 12 of 17

2020-01-20, 1:14 AM

Hey yea forum was down.

Called and explained to agent all the tests I did and she put replace motherboard in the account notes.

After establishing that I went online and paid for NBD support since I don't want to send it it and wait, etc. This thing was brand new out of the box and it's not working. Odds are they aren't going to reimburse me for NBD support because they would just say send it back to the depot. The customer always gets screwed in the end no matter what.

I'll keep you posted. However when I asked the agent if she gets a lot of these freeze calls she said yes. So we're not alone. We're probably only a small group of people who actually note what happens and write about it.

Keep me posted.

Options

31 Posts

10-26-2019

US

37 Signins

560 Page Views

• Message 13 of 17

2020-01-25, 23:17 PM

So the other day after I upgraded the warranty to Premier, I waited 24 hours for it to show up in Lenovo's system, the called to have a tech sent out. A tech from Worldwide Technical services showed up with a brand new motherboard sealed in a Lenovo box. The tech did not have experience with this particular model. A quick read of the service manual will show you that you have to unscrew the 4 screws for each USB port and slide them inward to give the motherboard clearance from the chassis. Well on the reinstall one was not seated properly and if I hadn't said hey this is installed sideways it probably would have snapped the thin board. Also one of the 4 screws used to hold down the USB ports was screwed back in and left on a angle. An angle!? Also when he left I attached the power cable back to the laptop and it felt loose. When you reattach the power cable the power button LED blinks three times. That is normal, however mine was not blinking. In Windows I could see that the machine was not charging. At this point I'm like **bleep**. After he left I flipped the computer over and took the back cover off. I proceeded to carefully look over the board. I removed the screw that was left on an angle and studied the receiving hole. It turns out that the blue Loctite on this particular screw was laid on thick and was not allowing the screw thread to be properly mated to the receiving hole. I cleaned up the threads with my fingernail and was able to reinsert the screw without an issue. Why the tech didn't look into this further is beyond me. Who puts a screw in sideways and thinks that's acceptable? Now I looked to the power cable issue. So the power socket on this motherboard is not directly soldered to the motherboard. It is a socket with a small cable and female connector that attaches to the board. Well no wonder there was no power going to the board. The female end of the cable was under the motherboard. The tech forgot to put this connector back and just laid the motherboard back down on it. Never checked the machine out fully when he was done or he would have checked every single ribbon cable that he removed from the motherboard. IDK I feel that Lenovo should have paid me for the job. I own an IT business and I was shocked to see this for Premier service. But when there's no hands on training for the techs how would you expect any better? I paid something like $260 extra to extend the warranty from 3 years of depot to 5 years of onsite "Premier" service. Seriously just send me the parts next time directly and I'll take my sweet time installing and testing everything. Also for anyone wondering I think there's two revisions of this X1 Gen 2 board. This particular motherboard did not come with the black plastic shields on the motherboard for the memory slots. So if you flip the machine over you can see my 2 green memory sticks through the mesh on the back panel. Also on the m.2, memory, WiFi slots you can see that they ran a bead of black hard plastic on the pins that are soldered to the motherboard. I presume for added vibration strength.

Hey Lenovo you wanna credit me something, maybe a few extra months of warranty for doing your service techs job??

Options

45 Posts

01-18-2019

US

83 Signins

775 Page Views

• Views: 775
  • Message 14 of 17

2020-01-31, 14:20 PM

I understand that, apart from the annoyances you listed, your mobo/graphics now work properly?

I received my replacement laptop on Monday. Knock on wood, so far I haven't had any freezes. It might be too early to say so I hope I'm not putting my foot in my mouth here but with the old one I had several freezes per day. So I hope it will stay this way with the new one.

I ran it with stock components first couple of days, then I put in the SSD and additional RAM (both from another Lenovo laptop). So far so good.

I hope Lenovo will be able to figure out what was wrong with the old one.

Options

31 Posts

10-26-2019

US

37 Signins

560 Page Views

• Message 15 of 17

2020-01-31, 15:38 PM

Hopefully. It's been rock solid since they replaced the baord last Wednesday. How'd you get an entire new machine?

Options

45 Posts

01-18-2019

US

83 Signins

775 Page Views

• Views: 775
  • Message 16 of 17

2020-01-31, 15:47 PM

I was within 30 days purchase period so I asked for a new one. Didn't want a repair that early.

Options

31 Posts

10-26-2019

US

37 Signins

560 Page Views

• Message 17 of 17

2020-01-31, 15:53 PM

Ah I got you. Well I will say the new board has these beads of plastic run along where the pins from the m.2, wifi, and memory connect to the board. The original one didn't have that.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete