Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

234 Posts

12-01-2019

Chile

260 Signins

2119 Page Views

• Views: 2119
  • Message 41 of 48

Re:Lenovo X1 Extreme Gen2 maximum brightness (400cd/m²) seems restricted

2020-08-03, 20:34 PM

Also, I just forgot to mention:

This notebook ALSO has problems with Wi-Fi 6 networks (really, the AX200 card).

https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Intel-Wifi-6-AX200-keeps-losing-Internet-Access-shows-connected/td-p/683592

But, it's pointless to request assistance here, so I went directly to Intel.

Options

57 Posts

12-09-2019

United States of America

297 Signins

3156 Page Views

• Views: 3156
  • Message 42 of 48

2020-08-03, 21:37 PM

I already mentioned the bottom cover in my previous post and I'm talking about the physical machine itself, not the software released by Lenovo (which, admittedly, is quite problematic). What's your problem with heat? A simple undervolt and optionally a repaste should be sufficient. Under max load, the CPU is going to get hot, like upper 90s, but that's with all thin-and-lights, especially with a 45W CPU. I have the i7-9750H and it idles in the mid-30s C. Also, the AX200 card on my machine works fine. I don't think it's a widespread problem with this machine specifically; maybe you got a bad card.

Options

3 Posts

05-21-2019

United States of America

8 Signins

107 Page Views

• Views: 107
  • Message 43 of 48

2020-08-09, 16:11 PM

Can someone please PM me the 7529 driver?  Just got the X1G2 and it seems somewhat dull on 100% brightness (4k IPS Screen)

Options

78 Posts

02-03-2010

New York City

1057 Signins

2001 Page Views

• Views: 2001
  • Message 44 of 48

2020-08-09, 16:18 PM

One thing you can do while we wait for Lenovo to fix this is to turn on Windows HDR in the display settings. At the cost of some slight color distortion it makes the screen considerably brighter (although not to full brightness except for a brief flash when you first turn it on). Unfortunately though it won't engage on battery power, which is when you might most need it (outside on a bright day).

P.S. if Lenovo doesn't fix this problem VERY SOON I will never buy another computer from them, and I own TEN and haven't bought any other brand for the last 15 years.

Options

19 Posts

08-10-2020

Switzerland

38 Signins

500 Page Views

• Views: 500
  • Message 45 of 48

2020-08-10, 8:39 AM

Hello everyone, 

First post here, a long one I guess. About the screen brightness issue, I've now spent a lot of time trying to use this great screen as it was advertised on windows (39,6 cm (15,6") 4K LCD IPS (3.840 x 2.160), 500 cd/m², mit Dolby Vision™ HDR on Lenovo's webiste https://www.lenovo.com/ch/de/laptops/thinkpad/p-series/P1-Gen-2/p/22WS2WPP102). It seemed to be better when I got it. I really wanna stress this out, I bought the screen as an advertised 500nits screen (the reseller added the *"According to manufacturer" to this mention).

For reference, I have a P1 gen 2 with said 4k IPS screen, i7-9750H, T2000.

As @rsdmems just pointed out, HDR seems to do the trick for a split of a second, but otherwise is not able push the screen to it's full potential for more than said split second. And an HDR fix is just out of the question when photo or video editing, the colours are way too off. I still love the DCI-P3 and srgb calibrated color profiles included on this model (extra).

As @joloriquelme pointed out, switching to dedicated graphics does improve the brightness, I have to deal with higher power draw. The explanation from @ujda765 on https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Latest-Intel-Graphics-Driver-Makes-Display-Dim/m-p/5001872?page=11 seems the most likely, but because my panel is not form the same manufacturer I cannot confirm it is the right answer :

>Tested Intel driver 27.20.100.8476 doesn't work neither. 

>

>I believe this is not a software issue, this is a hardware issue related with BOE panel PWM brightness adjustness circuit.  These circuit arrangements will not work under new Intel graphic framework. So >Lenovo newest driver update fixed some of the 4k laptops but most laptops with BOE 4k panels are not yet fixed.

>

>I believe Lenovo already knew this, so they just closed the case and quit further updating video driver. "

The panel I have is made by AUO (UHD,AUO,Color calibration LCD assembly - 02HM880).

What really gets me is that on any GNU/Linux distro I've tried (the to be officially supported Fedora 32 on this P1 or debians), the screen will be able to reach full brightness (looking great, but missing the X-rite pantone color calibration profiles included on windows). But I'm not willing to fully switch from Windows as battery life (the idle power consumption is unreal), the AX200 Intel wifi and hybrid graphics are still a mess. I hope the sell of the promised P1 with Fedora32 by Lenovo will help.

I know it might seem to some as whining ("just switch to discrete graphics", "roll back to some previous drivers"), but this is just not up to the expected "pro workstation" (whatever it means) standards. 

My experience with this laptop is still not great. After going through many second hand laptops I've flipped through the years, I thought I was gonna treat myself this year to a premium machine (considering the high price) for CAD work and video editing. I bought the P1 because I need high mobility with good (not great) compute power, I knew the thin form factor was a compromise. I choose the P1 with IPS screen instead of an Extreme X1 with OLED (same price for similar specs otherwise) as I thought buying a model designed and validated for professionals would save me this kind of sniffing around good drivers hassle. The numerous BIOS and drivers updates have improved the laptop over the last 6 months (when putting in an SD card would mess up sound, fans speed all over the place, idle power consumption way too high...) but it is still not up to the level of other Lenovo laptops I see everyday (T and carbon series). Maybe the sales volume is much different for these but that doesn't help. 

I've honestly been having fun trying to understand and fix this laptop's configuration but I cannot recommend it to anyone else. Having to heavily undervolt, disable some IO devices, go and sort through regedit and task planner on windows and clean the highly exposed fans every two months to reach a reasonable temperature, power draw, and in term acceptable render times and battery life just isn't right for what I consider as a premium laptop. For anyone wondering, I'm not willing to repaste a laptop under ADP extended warranty I paid for.

I hope the next drivers (this week's graphic  drivers update in Switzerland through Vantage is described as only security patches - Intel 27.20.100.8190 and Nvidia 26.21.14.4332) will fix this screen brightness limitation i.e, restore the screen to it's advertised performance on windows. Edit : Tested, they do not.

I hope to keep hearing form other users and find some reliable fix.

Edit : https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Latest-Intel-Graphics-Driver-Makes-Display-Dim/m-p/5001872?page=12 

These guys are on another level about this issue, I might post there instead

Second edit : I wanted to quantify how much performance was really missing. My findings are that when properly working, the screen does look much better, and color calibration can also work. We are losing half of the intensity ; it sounds worse than it is as our perception of light is not linear but it is equivalent as going from 100% to 80% (2 out the 10 windows brightness level) of the expected brightness.

Another edit : this is now turning into a list of info no one will ever go through. Let me know if this is rambling or too much. 

On iGpu, with 80% of the expected brightness I managed to get down to a 4w idle, but on the dedicated quadro card, lowest is 20W with same brightness. Unrelated, the screen is a hungry one, able to swing a 6W difference between lowest and highest setting. I'll do more testing on Fedora about this. For me, without the iGpu, this is not a laptop anymore. Because I'm working from home like many for the time being, I'm ok going the discrete graphics route but having to do a workarounds like this is not a nice solution. This might fix it for X1 extreme gen 2 and P1 gen 2 users but not for users stuck with only their iGpu. These guys are out of luck and support https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Latest-Intel-Graphics-Driver-Makes-Display-Dim/m-p/5001872?page=12 

P1 gen 2 owner - 20QUS04L00 - What's going on with these machines anyway ?
Options

3 Posts

05-21-2019

United States of America

8 Signins

107 Page Views

• Views: 107
  • Message 46 of 48

2020-08-11, 10:03 AM

Can someone please PM me the good brightness 7529 driver? Thx

Options

3 Posts

07-31-2020

United States of America

8 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 47 of 48

2020-08-17, 18:21 PM

Hi goofyball, send me a private msg of your email. I found the old driver and I’ll send the driver to you if you still need them...same applies for anyone who also wants the driver. Apparently intel stripped the .7529 off from their website for some unknown reason but I found a backup luckily!Hoping for the next update will fix this screen brightness issue... .8190 is no luck, and I really hope Lenovo would fix one of their premiere product that’s not even one year old. Btw for those regarding the heat problem of the 9750h, I’ve done an easy -0.125 mv undervolting with intel XTU and the results are very nice! (Boosted some battery life and also less heat throttle when gaming/heavy load) My specs are 9750h, IPS 4k, 1TB, and 16+16gb RAM(crucial &kingston), (the extra 16gb really make things smoother) for anyone who’s curious.Nonetheless, I do agree on the amount of tweaking / researching one has to put in for such a pricey laptop is not acceptable, but if ur welling to give it a try at either a ram upgrade or just a simple undervolting, it would at least makes you a little happier hopefully!Hope we soon gets our brightness resolution!Best,Alex

Options

13 Posts

06-24-2020

Poland

13 Signins

70 Page Views

• Views: 70
  • Message 48 of 48

2021-01-17, 11:06 AM

Lenovo doesn't seem to care about Extreme X1 gen2 users anymore ! Come on ! This issue has been ongoing for more than a year already ! 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms