Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JoeBloggs2016
Punch Card
Views: 2,846
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo X1 Yoga (20FQ) Clean Windows 10 Pro Install UEFI

Hello,

I have decided to do a clean install of Windows 10 Professional (x64) on my Lenovo X1 Yoga (20FQ).

I'm currently pulling my hair out trying to install Windows 10 in UEFI mode, I want to do this so I can use the full functionality of the TPM chip and bitlocker. No matter what I do I have not been able to install Windows 10 Professional (x64) in UEFI mode, I've only been able to install it in legacy mode. I've tried multiple configurations of the BIOS in terms of disabling Legacy/enable UEFI OS to boot but when I put the BIOS in UEFI only mode the Windows 10 Professional (x64) USB key (that I've created using the .iso downloaded with the Microsoft Download Tool), the machine refuses to boot from the USB key or the PCIe-NVMe when in UEFI Only mode.

Can someone point me to a guide for installing Windows in UEFI mode?

TripleX1
Token Ring
Views: 2,821
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo X1 Yoga (20FQ) Clean Windows 10 Pro Install UEFI

Check SecureBoot is disabled when installing?

Try another utility like Rufus to make the USB UEFI installer from ISO?

Not had any issues installing W10 UEFI on any X1 v2, v3, v4 w/BitLocker hardware.

Note that - as I found on this forum - there is no hardware BitLocker NVMe support, but a SATA SED SSD does work with hardware BitLocker...

JoeBloggs2016
Punch Card
Views: 2,809
Message 3 of 6

Thanks TripleX1 for the quick reply.

I had disabled SecureBoot in the BIOS settings.

I created the Windows 10 Pro x64 bootable USB using refus setting as UEFI installer and formatting disk as NTFS.

When setting the BIOS to UEFI Only Mode I can press F12 on hard startup to select boot device, it shows up with "USB Sandisk Cruzer", the windows boot option and the PCIe-NVMe drive as options. With UEFI Mode forced, selecting any of the options, including the USB key just causes the screen to flash, and the machine will refuse to boot with any of those options.

When I set the BIOS to Legacy Mode I can boot any of the three devices upon hitting F12. This suggests that the bootable Windows 10 Pro x64 USB flash drive is working as intended, no? Secure boot is definitey disabled so if anyone else has any suggestions please feel free to post!

TripleX1
Token Ring
Views: 2,799
Message 4 of 6

I'm pretty sure for UEFI the file system needs to be FAT32 not NTFS.

It may seem strange for NTFS working with "legacy" but not UEFI - but I think FAT32 is now considered a "standard" and incorporated into UEFI while NTFS is still MS's proprietary format...

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,777
Message 5 of 6

@TripleX1 wrote:

I'm pretty sure for UEFI the file system needs to be FAT32 not NTFS.

It may seem strange for NTFS working with "legacy" but not UEFI - but I think FAT32 is now considered a "standard" and incorporated into UEFI while NTFS is still MS's proprietary format...

This is the answer.  UEFI can only boot to FAT32.  So the USB key that you "burn" from Win10 installation ISO must be 32GB or less, and must be formatted as FAT32.

JoeBloggs2016
Punch Card
Views: 2,775
Message 6 of 6

Thanks for your help guys! I can confirm that the issue was down to the drive being formatted at NTFS and not FAT32.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors