Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hytekj
Punch Card
Views: 388
Message 1 of 14

Lenovo X1 Yoga 3rd Generation: not impressed

I have owned Lenovo's for almost 15 years. I decided to try a Surface Book 2 about a year ago and it was riddled with problems that Microsoft never cared to address. I figured I'd fall back on my favorite, Lenovo, and get a top-of-the-line X1 Yoga 3rd Gen machine. I loaded it up with the latest Windows 10 1809 and Lenovo drivers and have only been using it a few days. Well I am not impressed.

Major issues:

- Feels cheap, paint already scratching after two days of light use

- Screen is not 3:2, feel like the HDR screen is straining my eyes and its awkward having such a large blank space where screen could be

- The screen is delaminated right out of the box in the lower center area, seems that it was not glued well

- While I have not experienced the ghost touch issue (yet) its very alarming that with so many people experiencing it, Lenovo has remained silent

- Folks complaining they can't get parts replaced for weeks due to part unavailability

- Folks complaining that even though they have purchased on-site warranty, they have had to send their machine into the depot for various repairs

- Small battery capacity; how can you have a top-of-the-line business laptop where the battery can't last through a whole work day?

- Trackpoint is freezing up during normal use but could be a Windows 10 or driver issue?

Other issues:

- Pen is awkward to remove

- Power button placement is awkward

- No physical volume buttons

- I think its fine to adopt the standard USB-C for charging but I already miss the magnetic power connector from the Surface Book 2

- Fingerprint reader is slow. How come my phone can be almost instant but on a computer its slow and fails to recognize my print 1 out of every 3 times

The machine is probably going back. What a shame. I don't even know what make/model to try next? Does everyone just make cheap computers now?

BeamerLED
Punch Card
Views: 330
Message 2 of 14

Re: Lenovo X1 Yoga 3rd Generation: not impressed

@hytekj wrote:

- Fingerprint reader is slow. How come my phone can be almost instant but on a computer its slow and fails to recognize my print 1 out of every 3 times

I definitely agree that physical volume buttons (on the side, accessible in any mode) would have been very nice.

I've seen a few other complaints about the fingerprint reader being slow, including in some reviews.  I only half agree, largely because I don't know where the problem originates (the reader, Windows, etc.).  I always tap my finger on the sensor for no more that 0.5 seconds, probably more like 0.25 sec, and it always works fine.  The issue I see is that there is lag between my quick touch and Windows actually unlocking.  I haven't paid much attention to it, as it doesn't really bother me that much, but I'd say it's approximately 1 sec of lag.  If you are having a high rejection rate like that, you should probably delete and reprogram the fingerprint in the system.  I only get a rejection maybe once or twice a week and it's usually because I half missed the sensor.

For me, the biggest issue with this machine is the dreaded ghost touch issue.  I went three beautiful days without any, and now today it is back to acting up again.

hytekj
Punch Card
Views: 328
Message 3 of 14

@BeamerLED wrote:

@hytekj wrote:

I definitely agree that physical volume buttons (on the side, accessible in any mode) would have been very nice.

I've seen a few other complaints about the fingerprint reader being slow, including in some reviews.  I only half agree, largely because I don't know where the problem originates (the reader, Windows, etc.).  I always tap my finger on the sensor for no more that 0.5 seconds, probably more like 0.25 sec, and it always works fine.  The issue I see is that there is lag between my quick touch and Windows actually unlocking.  I haven't paid much attention to it, as it doesn't really bother me that much, but I'd say it's approximately 1 sec of lag.  If you are having a high rejection rate like that, you should probably delete and reprogram the fingerprint in the system.  I only get a rejection maybe once or twice a week and it's usually because I half missed the sensor.

For me, the biggest issue with this machine is the dreaded ghost touch issue.  I went three beautiful days without any, and now today it is back to acting up again.

Regarding the finger print, I believe you get three attempts or have to log-in with password or pin. So my comment was that one out of every three log-ins completely fails, I expend all three attempts, and I have to login with a pin or password. I did try reprogramming the fingerpint. I also added "another set" using the same finger and that seems to help a little. You are right that it is hard to know if its the hardware, driver, or windows 10 that is responsible for the slow-ness or inaccuracy...

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 321
Message 4 of 14

@hytekj wrote:

I have owned Lenovo's for almost 15 years. I decided to try a Surface Book 2 about a year ago and it was riddled with problems that Microsoft never cared to address. I figured I'd fall back on my favorite, Lenovo, and get a top-of-the-line X1 Yoga 3rd Gen machine. I loaded it up with the latest Windows 10 1809 and Lenovo drivers and have only been using it a few days. Well I am not impressed.

Funny, I've been thinking about starting such a thread myself. I still do love this machine, but I hope Lenovo agrees that this system had too many issues out of the box. I sincerely hope that there are internal discussions on how these things were allowed to happen. 

I wrote about the many positives in a first impressions post, but also listsed several of the negatives that you mention. I would say in daily use the following are the most notable remaining issues, in order of annoyance:

- ghost touch on HDR screen models

- mouse pointer often drifting for 8 seconds straight

- unresponsive left mouse button

- no way to open one-handed

- unpleasant 'snap' feel when folding screen back

- lack of hardware volume buttons

- a few clacky keys on my unit

On top of that in the early days several bugs were present (CPU never throttling down, color calibration settings not working for months, unreliable fingerprint reader). These have since been solved, but made for a bad early impression.

So yeah, not a perfect system by any means. That said, spending less money on quality control seems to be a sign of the times. I don't find the X1Y3 situation acceptable, but I fear that similar things are happening on the Surface side of things. 

hytekj
Punch Card
Views: 315
Message 5 of 14

@joesixgig wrote:

@hytekj wrote:

Funny, I've been thinking about starting such a thread myself. I still do love this machine, but I hope Lenovo agrees that this system had too many issues out of the box. I sincerely hope that there are internal discussions on how these things were allowed to happen. 

I wrote about the many positives in a first impressions post, but also listsed several of the negatives that you mention. I would say in daily use the following are the most notable remaining issues, in order of annoyance:

- ghost touch on HDR screen models

- mouse pointer often drifting for 8 seconds straight

- unresponsive left mouse button

- no way to open one-handed

- unpleasant 'snap' feel when folding screen back

- lack of hardware volume buttons

- a few clacky keys on my unit

On top of that in the early days several bugs were present (CPU never throttling down, color calibration settings not working for months, unreliable fingerprint reader). These have since been solved, but made for a bad early impression.

So yeah, not a perfect system by any means. That said, spending less money on quality control seems to be a sign of the times. I don't find the X1Y3 situation acceptable, but I fear that similar things are happening on the Surface side of things. 

Yes, Surface is not good and they give two craps about investigating and fixing major issues... i.e. power button stopped working after a firmware update and they refused to investigate even though tons of people had the issue... took them 7-8 months to address IIRC. Surface has no on-site support. Surface has no parts that are user replaceable. Surface has quality issues. My friends screen glue gave away and his screen popped out of the casing. Microsoft's answer to any major issue is to physically go to a location (not many available) and do a swap. Then you have to waste time setting up a machine that will have the same exact issue. They have no way to escalate or investigate anything. You ask their support to escalate and have someone look into a major problem and they just say there is no such option. I have friends that worked at MS and they told me to not buy MS hardware and I didn't listen.

So the big question is, who the heck makes a quality computer these days? Is it worth giving Dell a shot?

BeamerLED
Punch Card
Views: 312
Message 6 of 14

@hytekj wrote: 

So the big question is, who the heck makes a quality computer these days? 

And there's the million dollar question!  I think Dell, Lenovo, and HP all make quality business laptops.  The trouble is, the definition of quality isn't quite what it used to be, or what we'd like it to be.  It seems that these days, no matter which route we take, there's going to be some type of defect that annoys us.

A few weeks ago, I made a comment on here that I was thinking about returning my machine because of the ghost touch issue.  I still have 2 days to make that decision, but I think I will keep it.  I went back to my big list of laptops that I had researched, re-checked all the runner ups, and realized that I'm just as likely to have some sort of problem with any of them.  The grass is always greener, as they say.  All told, I really like the X1 Yoga, so I think the good outweighs the bad.

Regarding Dell specifically, I have generally had good experience with them.  They aren't perfect, of course, but that's the issue here.  Who is?  My previous laptop, which is still technically in service, was a Dell Precision M4600 that I bought 7 years ago.  I think the fact that it is still going strong after 7 years says something about the quality.  Sure, the keyboard is starting to flake out on me, but I could've fixed that in 20 minutes if I really wanted to.  Instead I decided it was finally time for a new machine.

While I'm at it, I'll tell you a fun story about Dell's tech support.  On my M4600, I had ordered a $400 upgrade for the IPS display with 100% Adobe RGB.  Out of the box, there was a problem with the display (bad light leaks and some color shifting in the corners).  I called tech support and was all set to have my NBD onsite LCD replacement the next day.  Then Dell called me, explaining that the higher ups were very concerned about my problem.  They cancelled the onsite tech and instead flew a product manager from Texas to tear the machine apart on my kitchen table.  They didn't want to waste any time in finding the root cause of the problem.  The problem was found, the machine reassembled for my temporary usage, and a week later they mailed me a brand new laptop replacement, plus double the RAM and a laptop bag "for my troubles" of having the PM come to my house.  Now THAT is some solid support!

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 306
Message 7 of 14

@BeamerLED wrote:

@hytekj wrote: 

And there's the million dollar question!  I think Dell, Lenovo, and HP all make quality business laptops.  The trouble is, the definition of quality isn't quite what it used to be, or what we'd like it to be.  It seems that these days, no matter which route we take, there's going to be some type of defect that annoys us. 

And there's the $3000 answer. We'll buy one of these high-end machines, and hope that we're going to be spared that year's main niggle. As I wrote above, I do really hope that Lenovo is having product launch evaluation sessions where they make an honest effort at trying to prevent these issues for the next gen. These machines are supposed to get better, not worse!

hytekj
Punch Card
Views: 296
Message 8 of 14

@BeamerLED wrote:

@hytekj wrote: 

A few weeks ago, I made a comment on here that I was thinking about returning my machine because of the ghost touch issue.  I still have 2 days to make that decision, but I think I will keep it.  I went back to my big list of laptops that I had researched, re-checked all the runner ups, and realized that I'm just as likely to have some sort of problem with any of them.  The grass is always greener, as they say.  All told, I really like the X1 Yoga, so I think the good outweighs the bad.

so what are you going to do if all the paint falls off and Lenovo wont do anything about it? mine seems to have the beginnings of a paint issue and its two days old. i cant be going into meetings with a laptop that physically looks like crap...

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 287
Message 9 of 14

@hytekj wrote:

so what are you going to do if all the paint falls off and Lenovo wont do anything about it? mine seems to have the beginnings of a paint issue and its two days old. i cant be going into meetings with a laptop that physically looks like crap...

That's a tough one. My X1Y3 shows a little paint loss around the edges of the stylus silo and on the lower right edge. It's subtle, so I'll live with it. The problem is that Lenovo doesn't cover paint issues under warranty unless it is undeniably a manufacturing issue, so if the paint issue is a dealbreaker, the only option is to return the unit.  

hytekj
Punch Card
Views: 222
Message 10 of 14

Probably a Windows 10 issue but... Getting BSOD now after Windows updated to KB4464330. It was running without issue on 1809 for the past week and now every time I power on from hibernation it throws a BSOD with error "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE"

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors