Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ErikvT
Paper Tape
Views: 202
Message 1 of 10

Lenovo X1 Yoga 3rd internet suspends when locking computer

Hi all,

I recently traded my X1 Carbon (gen 1) for the new X1 Carbon Yoga (gen 3). With the new laptop, I have a problem with my internet suspending every time I lock it. In my power settings, I find options to control screen shutdown and sleep mode, but not this.

Because I work with a Citrix client, I lose my client connection every time I leave my laptop.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Erik

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 181
Message 2 of 10

Re: Lenovo X1 Yoga 3rd internet suspends when locking computer

I cannot duplicate this with my Gen3 machine.  There may be something wrong with my testing, but this is what I did.  I have a folder on the gen3 machine that has file sharing turned on.  I can access that share and copy a file to it from my windows 10 desktop.  After I lock the gen3 machine, I can still see, delete and rewrite the file.  Obviously, the network is still connected.  One thing I find confusing is that if I enter sleep mode on the gen3 machine, the connection is still active.  I can see it is sleeping by the slow pulsing of the LED on the lid.  One factor is that I have the optional IR camera that is always "looking for me" to sign in using windows hello.  If I hibernate the gen3 machine, the connection drops, as I would expect.

The Gen3 machine is running windows 10 with all updates applied

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 170
Message 3 of 10

@richk wrote:

One thing I find confusing is that if I enter sleep mode on the gen3 machine, the connection is still active.  I can see it is sleeping by the slow pulsing of the LED on the lid.

This sounds like a "feature" of Modern Standby.  It's not like the S3 sleep that we're used to.  The laptop is in a lower-power state but with some things still running.  There may be a way to modify what stays on - but I haven't looked into the details.

[edit to add links]

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/modern-standby

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/behavior-differences-bet...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 140
Message 4 of 10

Is the screen turning off?  Modern Standby systems enter sleep mode whenever the screen turns off.  You should be able to adjust timeout settings to prevent this.  Let me know if you need help with that.

zekeblue
Token Ring
Views: 135
Message 5 of 10

You can have it use a "blank" screen saver rather than turn off the display.  Have password required to exit the screen saver.  This way, you avoid suspend altogether unless you manually enter it.

. . . . . Zeke . . . . . X1 Carbon G6 - Win10 (current), P50 - Win10 (2 yrs), T510 - Win7 (previous 6 yrs)
ErikvT
Paper Tape
Views: 114
Message 6 of 10

@someotherguy: It is true that my citrix doesn't get lost immediately after locking my laptop, so it might be that it goes into an early sleep because it is locked (even though i've set regular sleep only after several hours). I'll check today!

@zekeblue: Nice one to try out too, thanks! A screensaver with password would take away the need to lock the computer at all, so that might be an alternative

ErikvT
Paper Tape
Views: 105
Message 7 of 10

@someotherguy: you were correct, the problem isn't that my internet suspends as soon as I lock my computer, it's that my laptop prematurely goes into sleep mode as soon as I lock it (within a few minutes), so sleep mode suspends internet. Any hints on how to address that would be very welcome (would like to keep the screensaver option as a fallback)

ErikvT
Paper Tape
Views: 100
Message 8 of 10

@Richk: I used your approach to validate my problem. As soon as I lock the yoga, I can still access the shared folder. After about a minute the screen goes black (assumption: sleep mode). Shortly thereafter, I lose my connection to the shared folder.

Again, any advice on how to keep the computer locked and awake is very welcome Smiley Happy

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 96
Message 9 of 10

ErikvT,

Your issue is the timeout at the lock screen.  This is different than the timeout at your desktop when the PC is unlocked.

Please check if this information from Microsoft can help you.  Although this article is about Windows 8, I think it applies to Windows 10 also.   https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2835052/monitor-powers-off-after-1-minute-when-pc-is-locked

I believe you can set the value to "0" if you want to disable the timeout.

ErikvT
Paper Tape
Views: 62
Message 10 of 10

Hi Someotherguy,

I've tried it but it didn't work. However, with the help of all reactions I did find another topic on the microsoft forum that did resolve my sleep issue:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-keeps-going-...

It seems like this resolution did solve the problem

Thanks for all the help!

Top Kudoed Authors