Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LenovoGuy10
Paper Tape
Views: 419
Message 1 of 5

Lenovo X1 Yoga - Bios Configuration

I am interested in using bitlocker and so in BIOS i have secure boot enabled. 

I wanted to know what the difference between User Mode for Platform Mode and Setup Mode was?

What does "Clear all secure boot keys" do? Does it make the system less secure?

I'm asking as an application will not work if it is in User Mode in Windows 10, however, when it is in Setup Mode it works perfectly.

Thanks

LenovoGuy10
Paper Tape
Views: 349
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo X1 Yoga - Bios Configuration

Anyone? Anything?

LenovoGuy10
Paper Tape
Views: 318
Message 3 of 5

bump

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 311
Message 4 of 5

It would have been better to put bitlocker in your thread title as well, that would perhaps have brought in in people who could answer. I don't know the answer though.
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 289
Message 5 of 5

This is all explained in the help text in BIOS setup itself.  Look at the "item specific help" on the right side of the screen.

Setup mode clears the factory keys and certificates so that you can install your own, and until you do, Secure Boot is essentially disabled.  It is definitely making the system less secure unless you install your own keys and certificates.  You can confirm this in Windows by running msinfo32.exe and looking at the "Secure Boot State".  If it's Off, your system is insecure.

If you have an app that doesn't work when Secure Boot is enabled and in User mode, it means the app is not properly signed for Secure Boot.  My guess is that the app is depending on some unsigned driver or service.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors