Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fredericdr
Paper Tape
Views: 7,818
Message 1 of 7

Lenovo X1 carbon (20FC) sleep mode/shut down issue in windows 10

This is my third X1 (all different generations) and I was very happy up till now. The problematic one has a Skylake processor and 512GB SSD and it seemed like a really nice config.

The problem is that it doesn't want to shutdown nor wake up from sleep.

First symptom: when shutting down, the pc seems to have shut down, but is still draining battery. If the keyboard FN-lock button is lighted, you can notice that this stays on. Also the fan will stay on if it was running before. The keyboard is even still responsive and you can turn on and off the different LEDs.

Second symptom: when the pc goes to sleep, there is no waking it up. Also here the keyboard stays responsive for fn-lock etc.

I've tried many things: reinstall windows 10 from scratch, reset the bios, upgrade the bios.

Then Lenovo was actually very helpful to start: they swapped out the motherboard and when that didn't work, shipped the pc to a repair center.

From here it went downhil: the repair was done in less than 5 hours according to the ticket (so I was impressed) but when I got the pc back I noticed why: they didn't repair it. They put on an image of windows 7 and since there the problem was not visible, called it fixed. Very frustrating. I put back windows 10 and guess what: the problem was exactly the same. When they shipped the pc, they had created a new ticket in the system, closing the original one. Now they even closed the second ticket although I already commented that the pc still doesn't work as it is supposed to.

The only reply I got was by email that they are waiting for an answer from their second line support. We're 5 days later and no reply anymore.

So I spend some more time debugging the issue (something a repair center should have done) and it seems that when I disable the bluetooth module in the device manager, the laptop starts behaving better. (it's not fully stable, but at least it wants to shut down and come back from sleep most of the times)

Anyone has had such issue and know what to do with it? (I tried many posts on this forum already and tried disabling power saving modes etc, but nothing seems to stabilise the issue)

Also anyone with a working X1 carbon 20FC? I asked the helpdesk if this laptop (that ships with win10) should work but never got an answer.

Best regards,

Frederic

Lots
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,695
Message 2 of 7

Re: Lenovo X1 carbon (20FC) sleep mode/shut down issue in windows 10

Same problem here with 4th gen carbon. Sleep causes it to freeze-screen is blacked and keyboard non responsive, but light and fan is on.

Shutdown works. I suspect it might be related to intel Management Engine Interface, but tried going down in firmware and using latest drivers and still freezes on sleep.

JimMcD
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,443
Message 3 of 7

Are there any updated to this issue?  I’m experiencing the same issue here in my environment across several machines.

hfaddis
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,442
Message 4 of 7

We are having, what sounds like, the same issue with our X1 Carbon Gen 4 laptops. Did you ever find a cause, or even better, a solution to the "black screen" issue other then a hard restart?

We've updated all drivers using Lenovo System Update and still have the issue.
fredericdr
Paper Tape
Views: 7,403
Message 5 of 7

The problem was fixed by lenovo eventually after replacing the motherboard and the wifi card. Now the laptop works perfectly in windows 10.

Nawras
What's DOS?
Views: 4,597
Message 6 of 7

As confirmed on https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Carbon-4th-Gen-Black-screen-hang-on-sleep/... updating to the very latest firmware fixed this for me.

coldeskimo2
Paper Tape
Views: 3,170
Message 7 of 7

No luck here unfortunately. This is such an annoying issue though appears to be deeper sleep mode or longer time elapsed.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors