Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PeterNielsen
Paper Tape
Views: 846
Message 1 of 10

Lenovo X1 extreme MicroShutter

Hello!

I got my Lenovo X1 extreme 20MF-000TMD but I have some issues with the laptop.

The machine tend to shutter alot and spike on CPU every 3 - 4 sec, for like 2 sec where the mouse freezes. I tryed all kinds of things.

IMG_1075.JPGDPC

- Completley reinstalling the laptop with windows 10 enterprise

- booting in safe mode

- turning off powersaving option.

- Tuning the throttle option

- Updateing everything to the newest driver including BiOs

- Downgrading the drivers to an older versionen.

- Disabling trackpad, trackpoint, screen and gpu drivers, wlan, thunderbolt, keyboard.

When I go to device manager and Display settings, the menu seems to "flicker" - I put a video about it down below.

I ran a Lenovo dignostic on the laptop with no issues deteted.

I tryed to disable the trackpad, and that helped, for like 10 min then the issue returened.

help is most welcome.

kind regard: Peter

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 797
Message 2 of 10

Re: Lenovo X1 extreme MicroShutter

Anything plugged into USB ports?

I have used Process Explorer (free from microsoft) to figure out what is using the CPU

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
PeterNielsen
Paper Tape
Views: 771
Message 3 of 10

I tried with both a mouse and just a phone charger - there doesn’t seem to be any problems with them, but the problem is still there.

In addition, I tried with nothing plugged in at all

I'll try with Process Explorer - thanks

JustACustomer
Paper Tape
Views: 723
Message 4 of 10

Hey there,

I have the same issue with a X1 Yoga, 3rd Gen. Short bursts of CPU-usage I can't pinpoint to any program (+CPU ramping) and the flickering devices manager.

What I've found is, that if you switch over from the thunderbolt 3 graphics dock (GTX 1050) to the USB-C AC-adapter (and nothing else connected), the problem is gone. But as soon something like my smartphone or the thunderbolt 3 graphics dock is connected to the machine via the USB-C ports, every 11 to 13 seconds CPU will spike and the frequency will ramp up from around 1.4 GHz to over 3 GHz.

Well, not exactly to be precise. While plugging in my phone and unplugging it will act as a "switch" to the problem (connected = problem; disconnected = no problem), the graphics dock behaves differently. Once (all in one go, no restart or shutdown in between) you switch from the graphics dock to battery then to ac-wall-adapter, again battery and back to the graphics dock, the problem will be gone until the next restart/reboot.

I have lenovo Vantage installed which updated every driver, program, BIOS, etc.. Further I manually updated the thunderbolt firmware to 17.0.0.1-N25TF12W to be safe and checked the thunderbolt software for updates (17.4.78.500 installed, up-to-date).

My suspicion is, that the problem was created during the last update of the thunderbolt firmware OR the update to Win 10 1903 because it's roughly around then when I realized the issue. So it's possible that something changed during the Win update which now collides with the latest version of the thunderbolt firmware.

Can someone confirm my findings?

JustACustomer
Paper Tape
Views: 705
Message 5 of 10

Edit to my post above: The time bewteen spikes is not like initially estimated 3 to 5 seconds but rather more consistently 11 to 13 seconds.

JustACustomer
Paper Tape
Views: 654
Message 6 of 10

I did a thing!

Well, it is rather stupid and not exactly logical, but it helped. Usually you'd assume that for using a TB3-Device you'd need something like a "Thunderbolt(TM) Service" active. At least so did I. Turns out: No.

If you deactivate this service "Thunderbolt(TM) Service" in the Windows Services Manager and restart, neither will your PC be on fire (no warranty though!) but there is a quite good chance that the USB-C ports will still be working (at least for me since I'm writing this on my second monitor with my mouse connected - both to the TB3 graphics dock). The spikes are gone, CPU temp is down and I'm having a splendid Saturday afternoon right now. Smiley Very Happy

Cheers!

Edit: Argh! It's back. Diminished but still present. :/

PeterNielsen
Paper Tape
Views: 612
Message 7 of 10

ok, so now the issue has resolved itself, nothing has been done, I was away on holiday for a week and when I wanted to test with Process explore, my laptop has stopped with the shutter. Strange.

I’ll try to keep my laptop on for some time and see if it returns.

PeterNielsen
Paper Tape
Views: 606
Message 8 of 10

and it's back..

the pc was on for like an hour and then it was back.

I can see that it's something with USB 3.1 host controller.

It keeps popping up and then disappearing, like it's getting disconnected then connected every 3 sec.

I will get a service on the laptop and change the motherboard.

Untitled.pngUntitled2.png

PeterNielsen
Paper Tape
Views: 561
Message 9 of 10

Board has been replaced and everything works now.

JustACustomer
Paper Tape
Views: 151
Message 10 of 10

Mine was fixed with the latest Thunderbolt and/or BIOS update. Smiley Happy

Finally!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors