Punch Card
Views: 355
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo X1 rubbish LAN broadband speed.

Hello,

This is an issue I've been having on X1 laptops

X1 Gen2 (2014) with windows 8, then 8.1 and 10

X1 Gen5 (2018) with windows 10

I've got a FTTH internet connection. 1 Gbit up, 1 gbit Down.

on speedtest, I cannot exceed 300 Mbits Down and 500 Mbits Up

I did the test hundreds of times in the past 4 years, hoping that new driver, OS would solve the issue.

I used the lenovo LAN dongle and the Linksys USB3GIGV1. no difference in speed.

To add insult to injury, my wife has a 2014 lenovo yoga 2 pro (half the price of my X1)

and the yoga always exceeds 900 up and 900 down from 2014 till today.

we both have windows 10 now, we use the same single dongle (Linksys USB3GIGV1), same ethernet cable, fiber modem, same os, same browser (all tabs closed), all other software closed, same speedtest servers ... tests are done minutes appart, hundred of times. Results are very very consistent over 4 years.

I even tested FTP speed (Same server, same FTP client, same file), and the yoga always get around 80-ish MB/s against 20-ish for the X1.

the only different is the laptop. the X1 LAN is just so slow.

I never touched any network adapter settings, I compared the settings and see no difference.

I'm really upset with lenovo, I pay a hefty premium for the X1 and get these rubbish speed. (all things considered)

It should be the opposite.

This is my last X1, for sure. I returned the gen5 already. will use the Gen2 until I choose another brand.

macmovieman1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 319
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo X1 rubbish LAN broadband speed.

I get the same slow speed when all of my other devices are much faster.

ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6G
macmovieman1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 276
Message 3 of 6

Just ran a 320 and have never seen over a 350 with gigabit. The MBpro is much faster but I love my X1C better.

ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6G
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 269
Message 4 of 6

Have either of you tried fiddling the Interrupt Moderation and Moderation Rate settings in the LAN device advanced properties?

I had a similar (but not as extreme) slowdown on a white box desktop that was affected by those setting.

Not saying it's a fix, but something to test.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 238
Message 5 of 6

Adding: I've only got a Gen 1 X1 Yoga to test with.  It looks to have the same LAN chip as the 6th Gen Carbon and earlier versions.

I get every bit of my ISP's download speed: 480mbps, same as all my other machines do.  FWIW I get almost that over the X1Y's wifi.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

macmovieman
Serial Port
Views: 220
Message 6 of 6

I had the same issue with my Gen 5, but the Gen 6 is easily twice as fast for me.

Screenshot (1).png

ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th Gen | Core i7-8650U | 16 GB RAM | WQHD | 1- TB Solid State Drive

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors