Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

03-13-2021

Germany

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 4

Lenovo X1C6 - Laptop screen randomly turns black for a few days, then works again.

2021-03-13, 13:48 PM

Hi,

I have an issue with my Lenovo ThinkPad X1C 6th gen, which I bought in March 2019. I use Windows 10 Home.

In December 2020, the laptop screen was sudenly black. Because I have an external monitor I noticed that I can still use the laptop and everything works. The only thing I could still see on the screen was the Lenovo start screen when I re-started the laptop. I could only see the Windows Log-In-Screen (which always comes a few seconds after the Lenovo start screen disappears) on the external monitor. At that Log-In stage and everything that followed, my laptop screen was always black. I could only work on the external monitor.
It's not a problem with the Windows logo key  + P. I know how to use that. Updating the laptop and the drivers didn't help.
After about a week, the laptop screen suddenly worked again. It just suddenly turned on without me doing anything.

Since then, the same thing happened another three or four times. Without warning, the laptop screen suddenly turns black and then it doesn't work for a few days. (The last time, it didn't work for 10 days.) Then it suddenly starts working again.

PS: When in BIOS or Safe-Mode, the native laptop screen always works. Only when I am in the "normal" mode, it is black.

Does anyone have any idea of what I could do so that this doesn't happen again?

Cheers,
Leyle

Options

1993 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

137 Signins

10110 Page Views

• Views: 10110
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:Lenovo X1C6 - Laptop screen randomly turns black for a few days, then works again.

2021-03-15, 11:12 AM

Hello leyle,

Welcome to Lenovo Community

This is a software issue since the display works whenever you are in BIOS or before it loads Windows.

I suggest that you update the BIOS and drivers thru the support site.

Also try to load BIOS default settings, make sure to save before exiting.

Try this link as well:
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x1-carbon-6th-gen-type-20kh-20kg/20kg/solutions/ht508747-black-screen-issue-with-windows-10

Hope this helps

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

2 Posts

03-13-2021

Germany

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 3 of 4

Re:Lenovo X1C6 - Laptop screen randomly turns black for a few days, then works again.

2021-04-05, 10:12 AM

I tried the combination Windows logo key  + Ctrl + Shift + B and it works - sometimes. 

Right now, it doesn't work (and I'm writing this using my external monitor), though the combination did work a few times in the last few weeks.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do? Or is this normal for the current issue of Windows 10?

PS: I did do all the updates that were suggested in the previous message. That didn't help either, and I wasn't behind on that anyway as I had tried that already.

Options

1993 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

137 Signins

10110 Page Views

• Views: 10110
  • Message 4 of 4

2021-04-21, 21:29 PM

It is likely with the recent update of Windows as mentioned here :
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x390/solutions/ht508747-black-screen-issue-with-windows-10

It may be necessary to apply rollback on the display driver via device manager as Windows update usually forces its own driver instead of the OEM version similarly found on the support site.
It may be handy downloading it from the Lenovo support page and have it handy on your desktop just in case a new update comes in.

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms