cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dualmonitors
Punch Card
Views: 11,072
Message 1 of 24

Lenovo - X1C7 - X1 Carbon 7th Generation 2019 - Pre-Order Start and Delivery Dates?

Lenovo - X1C7 - X1 Carbon 7th Generation 2019 -

Pre-Order Start and Delivery Dates?

Hi there! I am in the market to update my X1 Carbon 1st Gen(!) to the current, upcoming X1 Carbon 7th Gen (X1C7). Obviously, the only available option currently (as of January 28, 2019) on Lenovo.com is the X1 Carbon 6th Gen.

May I ask if anyone knows when pre-order will begin and when delivery will start please?

I saw the initial press announcement at CES that "delivery is June 2019", though that is very broad and doesn't differentiate between pre-order start date and actual delivery date.

Thank you in advance.

Guru
Views: 11,049
Message 2 of 24

Re: Lenovo - X1C7 - X1 Carbon 7th Generation 2019 - Pre-Order Start and Delivery Dates?

Typically, Lenovo puts the laptops up for sale when they're ready to ship. So probably late May or early June would be when you can pre-order one, with delivery in June as well. 

Hope that helps. 

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

dualmonitors
Punch Card
Views: 11,046
Message 3 of 24

Re: Lenovo - X1C7 - X1 Carbon 7th Generation 2019 - Pre-Order Start and Delivery Dates?

@EricX:

Thank you for your reply.  That is helpful for me to plan.

When I pre-ordered my X1 Carbon 1st gen, a long time ago, it took forever before they finally shipped.  However, it was the first gen of that product so one would expect more production issues.  Now, with this being a rather mature product, they are merely tweaking a little here and a little there, and changing components here and there, one would expect that production issues be relatively minor.

That said, that loose screw issue from last year is really scary!  Who would have thought that such a costly high end machine would have such lousy quality control issues?  Unfathomable.  A veritable snafu.

Look forward to being able to pre-order and of course, take delivery - hopefully of a product without defects.

Thank you again, @EricX.

Guru
Views: 11,039
Message 4 of 24

And when you do pre-order, buying an in-stock model vs. a customizable model would get it there faster... less speed bumps.

You might also want to check out last year's shipping thread: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/ThinkPad-X-series-shipping-thread-2018-editio...

After ordering, it will take from a week to a month to ship, depending on whether it's in stock now or still needs to be manufactured. 

Hope that helps. 

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

dualmonitors
Punch Card
Views: 11,013
Message 5 of 24

@EricX:  thank you kindly again.

i do have a question about the screen options.  i don't see the value or need for the 4K screen option, considering how small the screen size is.  i use a 40" (or maybe it's 41"?) desktop monitor and it is 4K and that of course helps, due to its large size.

that said, i also don't see the need for the extra "nits" of the 4K screen option.  it goes up to 500 nits while the standard non 4K screen options are 400 nits.  as far as i can tell, 400 nits is totally fine and more than sufficient.

may i ask if i am correct or am merely talking myself out of a 4K screen option?

i do see the value of getting, say, a 1 TB SSD rather than a smaller SSD, and also 16GB of RAM rather than less RAM, but the 4K seems excessive as it also reduces battery life.

i guess if one were to be a photoshop heavy user, or a heavy media user, it might make sense, but i'm using it much more as a workhorse type of use case.

look forward to your reply.  thank you @EricX again.

Guru
Views: 11,007
Message 6 of 24

With the 4K option, you'll also get HDR, which will certainly look better than the 1080p or QHD models. For me, personally, 4K is overkill for a laptop, but I'm sure the quality of the panel is amazing, and it will be an absolute joy to use. And of course, the 4K panel will drain your battery life much faster than the other options. For your use case, the FHD or QHD models should suffice, unless you need to read really small text, like on schematics, or you value the most accurate picture quality. 

Make sure you chose 16GB RAM when you order because you can't upgrade it after the fact. If you want to save some money, you could get a smaller SSD variant and upgrade that post-purchase. 

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Eric Xu

dualmonitors
Punch Card
Views: 10,974
Message 7 of 24

@EricX:   thx for your reply again.  very helpful how you help me organize my options, thoughts, and narrow the options field so that it is more manageable and i'll be more ready to pre-order once pre-ordering starts.

my understanding is that there are 3 general types of display options:

(1)  4K HDR (lower battery life, little use in text/web surfing uses, only in media/photographs/movies would it matter)

(2)  QHD / 2560x1440 

(3)  FHD / 1920x1080

My question is that while it is obvious that for a professional guy with a professional need that is non-film/movies or photography heavy, I should only consider options 2 and 3 above, that is, 2560x1440 or 1920x1080.

However, how would one decide between those two options?  It would seem like 1920x1080 for a 14" screen should be plenty of resolution for a rather beautiful display, as it is merely 14".  Yet, what are the pros and cons of going up to 2560x1440?  Might there be advantages that I have not thought of?  I would not want to forge forward without fully thinking of all the pros and cons of 2560x1440 versus 1920x1080.

If Windows 10 can scale extremely well (can it? or are there scaling issues?), then wouldn't going to 2560x1440 be sort of a smart middle ground without going overboard to 4K?  Or, is 2560x1440 silly as well due to there being no need for so many pixels on a 14" screen?

Look forward to your reply.  This is highly educational and i look forward to fine tuning my pre-order parameters.

Thank you.

Guru
Views: 10,970
Message 8 of 24

Look at the specs, there doesn't seem to be any difference in terms of color gamut or contrast between the FHD and QHD displays, just the resolution. 

You'll probably see a difference between the QHD and FHD displays side by side, but only marginal. Again, the difference lies in small texts. 

Personally, I have the FHD model on my X1 Yoga and I'm happy with it. But if you want a display that fills the void between super high res and standard FHD, I would say the QHD is a good option. The main question would be how much you value more sharpness over more battery life. 

And Windows scales QHD much better than 4K or QHD+. 

Hope that helps. 

Regards,
Eric Xu

dualmonitors
Punch Card
Views: 10,905
Message 9 of 24

"...You'll probably see a difference between the QHD and FHD displays side by side, but only marginal. Again, the difference lies in small texts

Personally, I have the FHD model on my X1 Yoga and I'm happy with it. But if you want a display that fills the void between super high res and standard FHD, I would say the QHD is a good option. The main question would be how much you value more sharpness over more battery life

And Windows scales QHD much better than 4K or QHD+."

@EricX:  This is, again, a very helpful reply, @EricX.

It is helpful to learn that the differences between the FHD 1920 vs the QHD 2560 are only marginal differences when we're talking about merely a 14" screen.  However, it's hard to tell what the differences are when one is discussing small differences in small text, as it is a qualitative difference, hard to put in words.   I only wish someone would have done a VISUAL comparison and magnified it and shows it in an article showing the differences.  If you or anyone else know of an article with illustrations/screenshots illustrating this difference, kindly provide a link, please.  Thanks in advance.

Battery Life:   Lenovo's X1C7 press release and discussions thus far only talked about battery life differences between the 4K HDR screen versus the non-4K HDR screen options, as far as i recall.   i do NOT recall them talking about the battery life differences between the 1920 versus the 2560 screen options.  Maybe i'm wrong, but i'd surmise that the battery life differences are far greater between 4K vs the non 4K options, versus the smaller battery life differences between a 2560 vs a 1920 screen option.   May I ask if i'm correct or am i mistaken?

Windows Scaling:

i did NOT know that Windows scale far better between the 2560 down, rather than scaling 4K down.  I didn't know that!  I wonder if the 4K scaling down is just too much for Windows to do properly as it is a much more drastic level of scaling?  why would it be so difficult for Windows to scale down from 4K?   is it a mathematical thing where the 2560 scales neatly down to, say, 1920 as it might be an even number downwards, rather than 4K's scaling down as it might not be an even round number scaling down?  

now that you told me about Windows scaling 2560 better,  i see little reason to NOT  put the most emphasis on selecting the 2560 screen option.   it feels like it is the best one to choose taking all parameters into account.  it doesn't "overdo it", as 4K would, and erode battery life, while not adding sufficient value in day-to-day usage, only in media playback types of usage.  yet, it will display things better with great resolution when the letters are small when compared with the lower 1920 option, while not sacrificing too much battery life.

doesn't the 2560 sound like the optimal middle ground to get the most bang out of battery life and enjoyment of using it (excellent resolution), while not overdoing it and lose battery life for little real gain in my type of usage?

dualmonitors
Punch Card
Views: 10,879
Message 10 of 24

With the battery life of the QHD versus the FHD being very similar, i.e. maybe a 30-minute difference or so, it is not significant for me personally, so I would say that QHD would be the best middle ground to go with: neither overly high like 4K nor a tad low like the FHD.

This is particularly true in light of Windows 10 scaling working well for QHD, but less well for 4K.  This translates to few downsides to ordering the QHD, with only possible benefits of very smooth rendering of smaller text, etc, for the QHD.

Thanks @EricX for your granular explanation.  Very helpful indeed.

My only remaining thought about this is that as @EricX mentioned in a message that the X1C5  (5th gen) has the same two QHD and FHD panels as the upcoming X1C7  (7th gen) panels, it makes me feel strange buying a 2+ year panel for a premium priced, top of the line, laptop!  Shouldn't Lenovo have upgraded and updated their panels to the most current iteration of these panels?  It's a full 2+ years!  Maybe someone knows something more about these panels and can pitch in here.

One thing might be true:  it is possible that for 14" QHD and FHD panels, they may be already very mature products and as such, little can be done to make them much better.  Still, I can help but think that they can at least make them consume less power, or slightly brighter, or slightly better color gamut, etc.  Just SOMETHING to indicate that the current 2019 panels are a couple of gestation periods later than the X1C5 panels, and thus have some types of improvements.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors