Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AZJD2009
Fanfold Paper
Views: 203
Message 1 of 5

Lenovo X220 external usb keyboard won't connect

I have a 10 year old Lenovo X220 running Windows 10 Pro. I recently upgraded RAM from 4 to 16 Gig and replaced the original HD with a Samsung SSD. The SSD migration had no problems and I'm enjoying a much faster boot up and improved performance.

The only problem is my external usb keyboard has stopped working, but not my external usb track ball. Before the SSD and memory upgrade I was able to plug the external usb keyboard into any usb port on the dock and it worked fine. I've tried plugging the usb keyboard into every usb port on the docking station when docked and on the laptop (undocked) and none of them work with the keyboard. All of the X220 usb ports can read and write to usb memory sticks.

I've tested this same usb keyboard on my desktop and it works fine. 

Reading some other X220 forums, I've used the Windows Device Manager to delete the Standard PS/2 Keyboard from the Keyboard folder, and I've deleted and reinstalled all of the USB Hubs and Controllers in the Unversal Serial Bus controllers folder. 

I love this laptop but it's really annoying that I can't dock it and use a full size keyboard.  I have no idea why the memory upgrade or SSD would have affected ONLY an external usb Keyboard.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

BMCowboy
802.11n
Views: 165
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo X220 external usb keyboard won't connect

Hi,

Check out this thread with similar issue. As that user tested with a Logitech wireless USB keyboard and works, he realize that all those working USB devices with batteries installed, but not the original USB keyboard. He then suspected it may be problem of USB ports' bus power.

Your X220 hardware upgrade action may affect the overall power consumption practice as well that leads to USB keyboard detection failure. You may find an USB hub with external power adaptor for further testing.

"May the Force be with Lenovo"
AZJD2009
Fanfold Paper
Views: 147
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the suggestion to try a powered USB hub. 

I purchased a Sabrent 4-port USB 3.0 hub with power adapter and plugged the keyboard in and still the same behavior. The X220 won't recognize the external keyboard, but it will recognize a USB memory stick. I tried all the USB ports and no luck.

I tried again uninstalling ALL the USB controllers and the keyboard in the Device Manager, restarted Windows and still won't recognize the keyboard. And I verified again that the keyboard works in another desktop PC. 

I looked in the BIOS and there is a Keyboard/Mouse section, but I couldn't find anything to change there. The date on the BIOS version is 1.11 Date 2011-03-28.

Thanks,

Joe

AZJD2009
Fanfold Paper
Views: 128
Message 4 of 5

Adding to this thread, I opened Windows Devices and Printers and I notice that it shows the Lenovo Black Silk Keyboard when I have it plugged into the usb port. It's listed in the unspecified frame as shown on attached screen shot. But the keys on the usb keyboard still don't type. Adding to this madness, this icon goes away when I unplug the keyboard.

As before, this keyboard still works in other PC's and all of the usb ports on the X220 work with other usb devices like memory sticks. 

Still perplexed by this annoying problem.

Joe

CaptureLenovo Black Silk Keyboard.PNG

BMCowboy
802.11n
Views: 122
Message 5 of 5

Then you may follow this article to manual update driver for this unidentified keyboard. It aimed for Win10 but should work on Win7 as well.

"May the Force be with Lenovo"

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors