Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Branko
Punch Card
Views: 2,836
Message 1 of 23

Lenovo X260 WWAN em7455 error

Hello, I have Lenovo X260 i6200 version, which came without wwan card.

I have bought wwan card Sierra EM7455 (allegedly it has been taken out from another x260) and start omputer, but appear error after bios access screen. 1802Unathorised network card is plugged in...

After few hours of search, I found this is common problem, like there is some white list of cards which are supported by Lenovo products..

Is there any way I can fix this?

Thanks

Appologies for wrong subforum

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,809
Message 2 of 23

Re: Lenovo X260 WWAN error

Hello

What's the BIOS version in your x260? It seems the BIOS is outdated, initial version 1.05. Upgrade the BIOS, issue will be resolved.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Branko
Punch Card
Views: 2,796
Message 3 of 23

Hi, thanks for answer.

Bios version 1.21 (updated via lenovo companion app)

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,784
Message 4 of 23

In this case with recent BIOS version the issue looks a bit strange if:
a) wwan modem is genuine Lenovo branded, with FRU 00JT542
b) that "another" laptop was x260 (or any ThinkPad SkyLake besed on) exactly.

Regarding the 1st point:
- what IDs do you see on the page with 1802 error? They look like 1199/9079. I'm sure in your case they differ from the ones whitelisted in the BIOS (I wrote in this sentence)
- what's the modem p/n (FRU)? Could you make its photo and add to the post here?

The 2st point:
- did the seller claim this modem is compatible with ThinkPad x260? I don't trust him.

Your new answers will explain the cause of issue.

ps. Paint over the laptop and systemboard s/n on your image against s/ns grabbers.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Branko
Punch Card
Views: 2,779
Message 5 of 23

Resseler claims that he took out wwan card (which was working in his comp). Coincidentally, he said laptop is made for Scandinavian market. Main is for Scandinavioan market as well

This is screen after BIOS

Picture of the wwan card is in the previous post20160728_022019_resized.jpg

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,772
Message 6 of 23

You have posted new modem images after my last post.

OK.
The answer:
this modem is original, but for Dell laptops, it's p/n is DW5811e. So, it has USB IDs not whitelisted in the x260 BIOS.

There are two ways to troubleshoot:
- to change IDs in the modem using firmware reflashing. The reflashing method is safe, manufacturer's provided, but a bit complicated to explain in the forum if you haven't enough skills and another laptop w/out whitelist feature
- return modem to the seller because of he has deceived you.

Branko
Punch Card
Views: 2,770
Message 7 of 23

Is there somewhere instruction how to do it..

Do you know how, if it is not problem, I can give you remote desktop?

Ive got another laptop and high speed internet

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,740
Message 8 of 23

I didn't see such manuals for public access.
Some information is published on the Sierra's site (for registered customers):
http://source.sierrawireless.com/devices/em-series/em7455/

IDs might be changed using AT commands (take a look at the Sierra's manual). In this case the modem's name in the Device manager will not be changed. For that reason, to make generic or any one branded modem similar Lenovo branded with specific features, Lenovo OEM provisioning file should be applied over the modem's firmware with the same version.

Take a note: Lenovo drivers can't be installed for the not Lenovo branded modem, or on the not Lenovo laptop using exe-drivers installer. The same behavior is for the Dell drivers and laptop.

Branko
Punch Card
Views: 2,736
Message 9 of 23

Hello Mod, thanks for help.

But now I lost you. From where to start, what to do?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,718
Message 10 of 23

Re: Lenovo X260 WWAN em7455 error

I don't have modem like yours, so didn't perform IDs changing. It means you'll do the actions below at your own risk.

To be clear, modem reflashing and applying specific profile (operator or owner like Lenovo related) is provided and shown in the generic fw package on the Sierra's site, for instance. So, it's a safe operation.

1. to reduce the number of actions we need to know current modem firmware version.

Insert modem to the laptop w/out whitelist feature. Open command prompt window (cmd), type in the following command:

netsh mbn sh int

Copy and past the result here (remove Device ID value as well paint over modem's IMEI, s/ns on your BIOS photos above)

BTW, you can perform all operations in the Lenovo laptop. Insert modem carefully while laptop is in the sleep mode or hibernated. You'll not meet 1802 error after laptop resume. But, of course, this operation isn't absolutely safe.

2. what drivers package did you download from Lenovo site? Did you try to launch and install them? We need just unpacked files. As the Lenovo drivers can't be installed for Dell modem and therefore flashing tools and scenarios for appropriate sim card (i.e.operator) in the package seems not useful in this case, as well your LTE operator (either Telenor, or T-Mobile, or MTEL) is absent in the list of the preconfigured profiles, we'll use a flash tool in the package in the manual mode and generic profile for most European operators.

Further points depend on the answers above.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors