Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Guillo1
Punch Card
Views: 7,746
Message 1 of 83

Lenovo X270 noisy fan

Hi 

I am testing Lenovo X270 20K5 on Windows 7 and Windows 10, and I can hear the fan quite often.  

I updated the Lenovo PM device to the latest version 1.67.12.24

Changed on the Bios the Adaptive Thermal Management > Scheme for AC > from Max Performance to Balanced

But the Fan is still very noisy. Any ideas what can help ? 

Thanks

Guillo

Guillo1
Punch Card
Views: 7,645
Message 2 of 83

Re: Lenovo X270 noisy fan

Any recommendations on how to trouble shoot this one?

The laptop just came out of the box. We are using Lenovo X220, X230, X240 and X250, and really, after unboxing X270 and imaging W7 or W10 on it, I can't really believe how noisy this laptop is compared to other models. 

Can this problem be similar to this one?  https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Yoga-13-Fan-Noise/ta-p/1065093

Thanks in advance for your comments. 

d

Guillo1
Punch Card
Views: 7,639
Message 3 of 83

Updated to the latest Bios update 1.13. 

The fan noise changes when plugged in, or not. 

On 25% of CPU I can already hear it. 

This is quite anoying. 

Thanks

d

Tom139
Punch Card
Views: 7,471
Message 4 of 83

Hey,

I have the same issue with my X270. The fan is very noisy and always on, also when the CPU load is only 3% and the laptop is cool. Power mangment and latest BIOS are installed. The funny part is that I'm able to controll the fan as well, but only for more speed.

Does anyone has an idea on that?

Thanks!

darkstarski
What's DOS?
Views: 7,396
Message 5 of 83

Hi, I totally agree! This noise really contributes to fatigue afer a day in the office. I just moved from X220 to X270 and it is a huge step backward when it comes to noise! Lowering the fan speed does not really help. In my X220 I've exchanged fan at some point (got broken after 5 years), maybe it is possible in X270 too? I can't imagine spending months with this noise. Even my coworkers in the office notice it!

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 7,322
Message 6 of 83

Please try BIOS 1.14:  http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-X-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-X...

Also, please clarify something.  Is the complaint that the fan runs too much?  Or is the complaint that when the fan runs, it is too noisy compared to other laptops?

Guillo1
Punch Card
Views: 7,314
Message 7 of 83

Hi someotherguy, thanks I will test the bios upgrade. The complaint comes from the fact that with the other laptops I did not notice the fan (X230, X240, X250s), and with this one I did. I noticed that the fan runs very loud the minute the computer hits 25-30% of CPU. I will come back to you with the results. 

regards

Guillo

Tom139
Punch Card
Views: 7,298
Message 8 of 83

Why I should install BIOS Version 1.14? Latest is 1.17… Do you mean this version?

I updated already to version 1.17 last week... And suddenly last Sunday , the fan switched off after several minutes on battery… It’s seams that something changed on this with the BIOS update. When I plug the computer in again, the fan is switching on after 10 to 15 seconds later. If the fan is on and I disconnected the power, the fan is turning off again after 1 to 5 minutes on battery.

After I have seen this, I checked the Windows Power Options. System Cooling Policy is set to Passive for both options (on battery and plugged in), the only different setting here is the maximum speed of the CPU. If the fan is running when the laptop is plugged it’s looks like that the fan speed is not depending on the CPU load anymore. Here it still doesn’t matter if the CPU is idle or with 100% load, the annoying sound is there all the time….

And b.t.w.:

Is the fan running too much? Definitely Yes!

Is the fan too noisy compared to other laptops? Yes and No… I heard louder laptops in the past already… but this X270 is the really the noisiest I can remember in the last years.

Thanks and Regards

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 7,277
Message 9 of 83

Sorry, I meant to try "1.14 or later" as there was a change starting with 1.14 which might affect the fan behavior.

Tom139 wrote:

And suddenly last Sunday , the fan switched off after several minutes on battery… It’s seams that something changed on this with the BIOS update. When I plug the computer in again, the fan is switching on after 10 to 15 seconds later. If the fan is on and I disconnected the power, the fan is turning off again after 1 to 5 minutes on battery.

Are you seeing the fan turn on even without CPU activity?  The only thing I can think of is that there are some background tasks (like updates, AV, etc) that only happen when AC power is plugged in, and pause when AC power is unplugged.  So this might explain why fan runs on AC power but not on battery?  But it's just my guess.  Could you please monitor CPU usage in task manager?

The X270 engineering team is also requesting that you observe the behavior with a default power plan where system cooling policy is Passive for battery and Active for Plugged in.  So could you please try that and let us know your observation?

Meanwhile we are also checking X270 units that we have here to see if we can notice any wrong behavior with the fans.

Tom139
Punch Card
Views: 7,247
Message 10 of 83

@ someotherguy

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the fan is turning on without CPU load.

I checked the CPU load already with the in Windows integrated tools. You can find the two screenshots on battery and plugged-in on this post. The CPU load is in both situations at around 2-4%. It also looks like that the X270 has a bad day today with the fan again... Fan is running all the time again....

bat.pngpower.png

If I run a CPU test (with the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool) the sound of the fan isn’t changing if the tool is checking the CPU (100% load). In idle condition of the CPU the tool is showing 54° below max. Temperature of the CPU

Thanks for your support

CPU.pngCPU test

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors