Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

12-11-2012

United States of America

11 Signins

67 Page Views

• Views: 67
  • Message 81 of 85

Re: Lenovo X270 noisy fan

2018-10-23, 13:56 PM

Agreed, cooling solution is terrible.  We have all generations of the x series in our office going back to the x230 and the x270 is definitely the worst.  I'll probably be moving back to x250.  

I also get micro stutters where the computer just freezes for a second randomly.  I'm going to re-evaluate using Lenovo moving forward.  

Options

98 Posts

06-27-2010

United States of America

175 Signins

1363 Page Views

• Views: 1363
  • Message 82 of 85

2019-02-22, 18:02 PM

My X270 has this same issue when docked.  The fan runs constantly at max speed whenever the laptop is connected to the Ultra Dock (one external p24h monitor).  I have done a complete system restore, updated all drivers and BIOS to latest versions.  Setting Windows [Power Options] > [Advanced settings] > [Processor power management] > [System cooling policy] > [Plugged in : Passive] has no effect.

I reset the BIOS to defaults which I noticed sets [Config] > [Power] > [Adaptive Thermal Management : Maximize Performance].  I changed that to [Adaptive Thermal Management : Balanced].  No effect.

I tried using TPFanControl.exe 1.0.0.61.  That is the only thing that has stopped the fan from running constantly.  When set to [Mode : Smart] the fan will gently spin up occassionally as CPU usage peaks but otherwise stays quiet.  When switched to [Mode : BIOS] the fan immediately spins up to 4000+ rpm while the cpu temp remains unchanged at 54°C.  I really dislike the idea of using this utility to override the system cooling policy all the time.

Given the age of this thread obviously lenovo is not taking any action.  I'm posting for solidarity and to subscribe for any possible future updates.

Software Engineer
ThinkPad T480s (20L8)
ThinkVision P24h-10

Options

57 Posts

07-13-2018

United States of America

297 Signins

2370 Page Views

• Views: 2370
  • Message 83 of 85

2019-02-22, 20:28 PM

Does running tpfc [ThinkPad Fan Control] make any difference?  I've been using one version or another of this since I started using ThinkPads, and it's made my life a lot quieter (I do look forward to a day when fans are unnecessary).  tpfc allows you to customize your fan's mode of operation, and has worked well for me on X120e, X140e, and X240 machines.  With tpfc running, my machine idles along at 60-65 with no fan running, and doesn't get too noisy unless I'm messing around with a lot of stuff.

Ummm, maybe never mind...weird

It looks like the site for tpfc is no longer available, which is unfortunate.  There are a number of other ThinkPad fan control softwares around, but I am the most familiar with this one...

Options

98 Posts

06-27-2010

United States of America

175 Signins

1363 Page Views

• Views: 1363
  • Message 84 of 85

2019-02-22, 21:11 PM

TPFanControl is now at https://sourceforge.net/projects/tp4xfancontrol/.  Yes, it does control the fan on my X270. But I am not going to use it permanently as I am not confident that it is not potentially damaging to the CPU as it allows it to run hot without the fan. I used it to test the system and prove that the fan does respond to control commands. Clearly the system could do this itself but is not due to either some configuration issue or conflict.

I find it interesting that lenovo acknowledged a fan problem with several newer generation machines like the X280 and T480 (https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht506625)

This issue happens because of an incorrect setting that was applied in the factory preload. The incorrect setting causes the processor to idle at max turbo speed, which may generate excess heat and cause the fan to turn on.

That sounds suspiciously like an explanation for this issue on the X270 yet no "fix" has been provided for the older machines.

Software Engineer
ThinkPad T480s (20L8)
ThinkVision P24h-10

Options

57 Posts

07-13-2018

United States of America

297 Signins

2370 Page Views

• Views: 2370
  • Message 85 of 85

2019-02-23, 1:09 AM

This issue happens because of an incorrect setting that was applied in the factory preload. The incorrect setting causes the processor to idle at max turbo speed, which may generate excess heat and cause the fan to turn on. 

That sucks.  That must work the battery pretty hard as well.  Under those conditions, I might be tempted not to use TPFC; fortunately, it seems to work well with my (older) machine.

But I assume that the problem is somewhere it can be fixed (though preload of what?).   If not, then I think there's a good argument for replacing the machine...

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)