Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pablolie22
Paper Tape
Views: 1,076
Message 71 of 83

Re: Lenovo X270 noisy fan

Same here.

I moved "up" from the X250 (i7-5600u) to the X270 (i7-7500u) and am baffled by the fact the fan is *much* noisier even when there's absolutely very little going on workload wise. If I was coding video I'd understand, but darn, even at 10% CPU utilization it seems to be engaging the fan quite aggressively. The X250 didn't. It's odd because they're near identical (you can pop your old X250 hard drive into the X270 and it'll work instantly, which tells you how darn similar they are).

I hate fan noise - I have always wanted my computers to be as silent as possible, and traditionally Thinkpads are.

I have also tried several things. Reducing the Max Processor State to 90% doesn't make a difference here. Also what's the point of forking over for the powerful CPU when you then have to lower performance due to noise?

I have the latest BIOS as well.

PS: I have now tried to change the "Adaptive Thermal Management" in the power settings in BIOS to "balanced" - the default for AC is Maximum Performance. No one explains anywhere what impact on maximum CPU performance has (I left Speedstep at "maximum Performance" for AC). I seldom run CPU intensive stuff unless I sit n front of a big monitor and hence have AC power.

VitMosin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 952
Message 72 of 83

I have the same problem with fan on my t470.

I open 10 pages in Chrome and cpu temperature stays about 50-70 degrees and fan sometimes is off but when it starts it sounds so annoying.

And temperature jumps from 50 to 70 in 1-3 seconds. Is it normal?

I called services and they replaced fan without researching. But nothing changes. Even worse.

And tell me why lenovo don't want to solve problem that many users have?? They just replace one fan with the same another and they hope that user will resigns oneself??

I must say that I love everything in my laptop but this noisy fan brokes my loyality to this machine

Volodymyr_Koch
Paper Tape
Views: 891
Message 73 of 83

I think the problem is ... not in fan work! The problem is in whole radiator cooling system. Now, my Ivy Bridge is 35W, but in x270 there is i5-7300U Kaby Lake which is 7W - up to 25W and Lithography 14 nm by Intel spec, meaning it should run a lot cooler, don't you think so? 

ThinPad x270 have always abnormally high temperature. And there is no conversation about noisy fan situations when we use high performance mode. It's obvious.

So - cooling system is very bad. When OS W10 Ent x64 starts  and stay idle - there is about 45-50 degrees Celcius. What???? In year of 2018?? I have Lenovo T61 with Core 2 Duo T8300 on a board and the same Win10 X64. - when OS starts - there is about 38 degrees Celsius. And that CPU is 45nm Lithography.

So. The conclusion is the following:

Lenovo Corp made some very cheap and poor radiator cooling system in this x270.

Only way is - to return all the x270 models back (make Recall) and give people another normal working laptop, but Lenovo Corp, seemingly have no courage to agree with this and do this.

therealistguide
Paper Tape
Views: 839
Message 74 of 83

I can't work with my x270. If i just view the chrome explorer, the noise is extremely high! High price, highest noise, failure, no warranty for this? And Lenovo resolved this problem in x280 or come with just the same problem?

VitMosin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 826
Message 75 of 83

I'd like to know are there success stories with solving of this problem? Not issure! It's really problem! And i dont understand why lenovo keep silence about it?

therealistguide
Paper Tape
Views: 773
Message 76 of 83

We need something official information about this problem.

VitMosin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 762
Message 77 of 83

Discussions are already on the 8 pages... I dont think lenovo takes care about clients

pablolie22
Paper Tape
Views: 738
Message 78 of 83

I just don't think there's much they can do about it... :-( It'd be cool to get an apology though. 

My suspicion is that the Kaby Lake generation runs hot, and hence keeping the exact same cooling strategy in a design that had remained unchanged (save the processor they plopped in) ran out of steam and caused the fan to work harder.

ripper2020
Paper Tape
Views: 367
Message 79 of 83

Agreed, cooling solution is terrible.  We have all generations of the x series in our office going back to the x230 and the x270 is definitely the worst.  I'll probably be moving back to x250.  

I also get micro stutters where the computer just freezes for a second randomly.  I'm going to re-evaluate using Lenovo moving forward.  

JeffBinCO
Token Ring
Views: 68
Message 80 of 83

My X270 has this same issue when docked.  The fan runs constantly at max speed whenever the laptop is connected to the Ultra Dock (one external p24h monitor).  I have done a complete system restore, updated all drivers and BIOS to latest versions.  Setting Windows [Power Options] > [Advanced settings] > [Processor power management] > [System cooling policy] > [Plugged in : Passive] has no effect.

I reset the BIOS to defaults which I noticed sets [Config] > [Power] > [Adaptive Thermal Management : Maximize Performance].  I changed that to [Adaptive Thermal Management : Balanced].  No effect.

I tried using TPFanControl.exe 1.0.0.61.  That is the only thing that has stopped the fan from running constantly.  When set to [Mode : Smart] the fan will gently spin up occassionally as CPU usage peaks but otherwise stays quiet.  When switched to [Mode : BIOS] the fan immediately spins up to 4000+ rpm while the cpu temp remains unchanged at 54°C.  I really dislike the idea of using this utility to override the system cooling policy all the time.

Given the age of this thread obviously lenovo is not taking any action.  I'm posting for solidarity and to subscribe for any possible future updates.

Software Engineer
ThinkPad T470s (20JT) | ThinkPad X270 (20HN)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors