Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MahsaG
Paper Tape
Views: 281
Message 1 of 7

Lenovo X390 gets too hot when laptop is charging

I've bought an X390 laptop last week. It's a really good laptop. But my main problem is that, when I plug in the charger, it gets too hot. Even when the battery is full, it's overheated. I searched a lot but I couldn't find any way to resolve this problem. I don't even want fast charging but the temperature freaks me out. Is there anything I can test for it? 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 243
Message 2 of 7

Re: Lenovo X390 gets too hot when laptop is charging

Hi MahsaG and welcome to the Community,

What exactly is getting hot, the laptop or the charger?

Regards,

Dave

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
MahsaG
Paper Tape
Views: 218
Message 3 of 7

The laptop (the right side of it)
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 193
Message 4 of 7

Hi MahsaG,

The right side is where the fan and heatsink is located, so I would expect to feel some heat there in that location.  Mine is warm but not overly hot.

Do you have a temp monitoring program installed?  If not can you install one?  I use CoreTemp and I have it showing the temp in the taskbar all the time.  With nothing running but Task Manager, mine runs at about 38 C.  

https://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

It is a free program, but it will try to install other programs when it installs, just uncheck the other programs as you see them on the popups.

If you see your temps running significantly higher, then open Task Manager and see what the Performance is showing as far as CPU usage and Disk usage.  If it is high then open Processes and see what is using the resources. I have found that Windows Update makes the Temps run a lot higher than normal when it wants to install updates in the background.

Regards,

Dave 

PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
MahsaG
Paper Tape
Views: 171
Message 5 of 7

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply. When I close everything on my laptop, the temperature is around 50 to 60 and when I open something it is around 70 while charging. The intelligent cooling mode is performance mode. When I unplugged the charger, the temperature goes down to 40 and intelligent cooling is quiet mode.
Is there anyway to change the intelligent cooling while charging to quiet mode? Or any other solution?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 138
Message 6 of 7

Hi,

Where are you seeing "quiet" mode, I don't see anything like that on mine?

In the past, I recall seeing some machines having a quiet mode and what that means is that the fan doesn't turn on as much, so the machine will heat up faster before the fan turns on. Fan noise doesn't annoy me, I would rather have the fan running and the machine staying cool than not have it running and staying hot.

First of all, I would make sure all your Windows updates and driver updates are up to date, you've only had this for a week.  You might need updates done.

You should have an app called Vantage installed, run the updater and see if there is anything available. 

I made a custom power plan on mine, I have sleep and hibernation and hybrid sleep turned off and I only have the display turning off after 30 minutes.  Mine is set to high performance on battery and plugged in, I'm not too concerned about battery life.     

Regards,

Dave

MahsaG
Paper Tape
Views: 114
Message 7 of 7

Thanks Dave,
I see the performance mode when I click on the Lenovo Vantage Toolbar (right side of my taskbar).
Thanks for your guidance. I will try installing updates and defining a custom power plan.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors