08-01-2020

AI

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 4

Lenovo improves ThinkPads running Linux but issues with problem machines remain

2020-08-01, 21:28 PM

As usual with new Linux compatibility, there are a couple of caveats. You can log in with your fingerprint, but GNOME 3 will not unlock its keyring until you type in a password, so it is best to type in a password when you log in, and use the fingerprint to unlock the lock screen thereafter. On the other end, once a fingerprint is registered, sudo will demand a fingerprint instead of a password. It's really hard to have your cake and eat it too when it comes to desktop Linux.

Options

1 Posts

08-01-2020

AI

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:Lenovo improves ThinkPads running Linux but issues with problem machines remain

2020-08-04, 10:35 AM

Part of the problem is that due to running hybrid graphics, and having no way in Nvidia's control panel or the BIOS to switch off the discrete GPU entirely,

Vivatv Cyberflix

Options

289 Posts

05-14-2020

US

152 Signins

1580 Page Views

• Views: 1580
  • Message 3 of 4

Re:Lenovo improves ThinkPads running Linux but issues with problem machines remain

2020-08-07, 14:37 PM

Hello,

Another problem is there are hundreds of different versions of Linux hence hundreds of different programming teams.  They don't talk to each other, so none of the Linux kernels are the same.  Unlike  Windows.

Lenovo Knowledge base has an entry for Linux Support.  That has perhaps 3 kinds of linux Lenovo engineers are familiar with.  Are you using one of those?

That said, I use an unsupported Linux distribution, and after 3 years on two different Lenovo computers, the systems have just worked, with no functionality issues and I have not needed to make special configuration actions for my systems functionality.   Reply if if you want me to let you know which distribution has been successful for me. 

Sincerely,

Usedtoberich

Options

198 Posts

07-22-2019

CA

218 Signins

2021 Page Views

• Views: 2021
  • Message 4 of 4

2020-08-09, 14:56 PM

Just to add a couple of notes:

- We work on getting all fixes upstream - that way all distro's should benefit. Sometimes it can take a long time for that support to make it in the distro's (for example we're working with Debian to get the SOF firmware/topology into debian). We try and support everything but obviously we can't test every distro :)

- if you have any specific issues let us know. Some issues need working with the community on (the fingerprint needing a password unlock for example - though I personally think that makes sense from a security point of view so is that an issue or by design?)

Mark

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete