cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ibotpad
Punch Card
Views: 3,373
Message 1 of 36

Lenovo messed up my wireless card on my new laptop and refuses a reasonable solution?!

I received the new Thinkpad x61s yesterday, ordered 3 weeks ago. I had chosen the Intel wireless wifi link 4965AGN for it, but when I received it yesterday I found they actually installed a 4965AG. This is shown in all the places: the system information, the device manager, as well as the sticker on the bottom of the laptop. I have created screen shots to show the information, though I don't see anyway to attach the files here. I called Lenovo yesterday as soon as I found the problem. I thought the two obvious solutions would be to either send back the laptop for replacement of the wireless card by IBM/Lenovo, or to have them send me the correct card and I replace it by myself. Since the model is still being offered on sale, they certainly have the 4965AGN card.

I was transferred back and forth on the phone between various depts. The last rep yesterday said they couldn't replace the card for me (why? "because it's just not how we do it." Instead they do put the wrong card?), nor can they send me a replacement card (said it would void warranty if I install it myself, which contradicts another rep. Could someone please confirm either way?). He said I had to either return the laptop for refund or get credit for the difference between the two cards. Neither of these is what I would like to accept. And I find it neither reasonable nor necessary. I called them today again. The rep I got today looked at my order and claimed what I ordered was exactly what I have received! He claimed they did ship to me the AGN card because he saw the part number on the order list! I told him what he was seeing was what's supposed to be shipped to me but not actually what I received. He insists it was what I received! He says the only solution is for me to return the laptop for full refund. I am very upset.

1. Lenovo should admit they do make mistakes, they do sometimes put in wrong parts in some orders. If they are not convinced the card installed in my computer was wrong, they can ask me to send the computer to them to check it and then replace the card, or I can email them the screen shots I have taken of the system information shown on my computer, which shows the wireless adapter info.

2. If they installed a wrong part in a computer and shipped it to a customer, why should the only solution be for the customer to return the whole computer for refund, not for replacement of the part? Why should the customer get punished by returning the order, after weeks of research on the product before ordering, and 3 weeks of waiting for delivery, just because Lenovo made this mistake, which is not so hard to correct?

What can I do to have Lenovo correct its mistake, and not to have me void my order?

sipp11
802.11n
Views: 3,351
Message 2 of 36

Re: Lenovo messed up my wireless card on my new laptop and refuses a reasonable solution?!

I understand your frustration, but there is a thing I don't get it. By the fact that Intel doesn't have pcie network adapter card model 4965AG. They have only 4965AGN, which is the one you are supposed to get, and 3945BG/ABG for 802.11b/g or 802.11a/b/g consecutively. I suspect 4965AG is typo or something? but this way it's pretty hard for Lenovo to believe you as well. The question is how you can identify your network card then? If device manager really says that, you may like to update driver.I recommend you get into this card properties in device manager and check for Hardware Ids, for 4965AGN it should be VEN_8086&DEV4230&SUBSYS_11108086.

If it's really a wrong one, I don't see that you couldn't get a replacement. The worst case is you may have to ship your unit back to repair center, I guess.

note: I'm not related to Lenovo in anyway! I was pissed about their service too/

Edited: I was totally wrong. There is 4965AG. It's basically the same one with 802.11n disabled. However, it's not the same part number.

42T0865, 42T0867, 42T0869, 42T0871, 42T0905 : Intel PRO/Wireless 4965AGN (11n enabled)

42T0873, 42T0875, 42T0877, 42T0879, : Intel PRO/Wireless 4965AGN (11n disabled)

First, you have to check this part number on the box to see if it matches 11n disabled. Then check with your order and it's time to call them again.

Message Edited by sipp11 on 01-21-2009 01:56 PM
ibotpad
Punch Card
Views: 3,347
Message 3 of 36

Re: Lenovo messed up my wireless card on my new laptop and refuses a reasonable solution?!

sipp11, is there a way to post the screen shots I made that show what the system info (from accessibility --> system tools...), the device manager, and the sticker on the bottom of the laptop say? I certainly didn't make that up. If it's a typo, how could all these three have the same typo? (I do wish it is in fact AGN, if there is a way to know, that is!)

Edit: Apparently there is the AG card. Google turns out plenty, and at lenovo suport site

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/migr-62875.html

It reads:

This package provides the Wireless LAN driver for Microsoft Windows XP for the following adapters:
- Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AG and 4965AGN
- Intel PRO/Wireless 3945bg Mini PCI and 3945abg Mini PCI
- Intel PRO/Wireless 2200bg Mini PCI
- Intel PRO/Wireless 2915abg Mini PCI

Message Edited by ibotpad on 01-21-2009 02:56 PM
sipp11
802.11n
Views: 3,340
Message 4 of 36

I'm sorry, ibotpad. I'm really wrong.

While I was editing my post, you replied. I think part number will good enough to show that they are wrong.

ibotpad
Punch Card
Views: 3,331
Message 5 of 36

The part list on the box appears to be something like a copy of what I have ordered, not what are actually shipped, because, for one, it says the battery is a 4-cell battery (what I had ordered), when in fact an 8-cell battery was shipped because they ran out of 4-cell ones; and #2, the part number of the wireless is just the same as in the confirmation email of my order 42V8177 (followed by "11n MIMO MoW1", which is something not appearing on the confirmation email, but since the part number is the same, I'm guessing this is meant to be the wireless card).

All these are only on the paper and doesn't tell you what's actually inside the computer.The only way to actually prove what's the real thing is via the system info / device manager (which I'm offering to show), or, of course, letting them see and open up the actual computer (which I also suggested)! They mess it up and refuse to see the proof (perhaps unwilling to admit mistake?), instead want the customer to eat the result. This is not even a sophisicated thing, just replacing a card.

sipp11
802.11n
Views: 3,326
Message 6 of 36

No, I'm not saying that list on the box anywhere else is correct.. I think you could find some place such as flickr, skydrive, or googlepage, to upload your screenshot and post here. This forum is very stricted about posting image; they don't even allow to post a big image here [only link allow] because they claimed that it will slow down the board. :-/

When Lenovo people come and see all evidence, they will be able to take care of you.

note: For battery, in my point of view, that's a good thing though :-P

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 3,324
Message 7 of 36

ibotpad, welcome to the forum,

to check exactly which card you have, I suggest you remove it and post the FRU number. The card is an CRU, (Customer Replaceable Unit), and you will not invalidate your warranty by removing it.

Instructions on how to remove it can be found here.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

ibotpad
Punch Card
Views: 3,299
Message 8 of 36

Thanks AndyP. I have opened it following the link you provided, but, I don't know where the wireless card is located Smiley Sad. It looks something like here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=141931

Which is the wireless card? sorry for being so dumb Smiley Sad

One question: it looks like the left one in the above picture (i.e. without the little round thing in lower middle between the two big arrows in the right hand side picture for x61s), but that one is supposed to be an x61, not x61s. Did I get actually get an x61, not x61s?

EDIT: I found it! Little card on the lower right. Here is what's written on it:

IC 1000M - L4965AG 

Model: 4965AG MM1 FRU: 42T0873 

(23S)  802.11 A/G MAC 00.21.5C56 C1 85

Message Edited by ibotpad on 01-21-2009 04:45 PM
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 3,293
Message 9 of 36

I confess to not having taken an X61s apart. The card should have antenne cables attached to it, (like in the first picture at the front in your link), post the FRU numbers of that or all cards and we'll find out what you have.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

ibotpad
Punch Card
Views: 3,288
Message 10 of 36

AndyP, I just edited my post above, with the FRU, please take a look!
Top Kudoed Authors