cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ariaxu
Serial Port
Views: 16,562
Message 1 of 18

Lenovo sent me a Windows 8 recovery disc for my x230!

I called Lenovo and got my Windows 8 recovery disc shipped out free of charge ten minutes later. I have a case number to prove it! This is so awesome.

I didn't say anything except that I didn't know why windows won't start, I didn't know why recovery wont start, and I needed my discs so that I could get things working again.

That's the last time I let my mischievious daughter play with my laptop before I get it all set up. The guy on the phone thought that was pretty funny...

Thank you, Lenovo! You guys are so very helpful!

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 16,463
Message 2 of 18

Re: Lenovo sent me a Windows 8 recovery disc for my x230!

Hi ariaxu,

Thanks for taking time to make this post. It means a lot.
I'm glad that you finally have your machine recovered. Smiley Happy

Cheers,
Cleo

T410, x240

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
excommie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 16,430
Message 3 of 18

I guess you were lucky. They charged me $59 for mine.
ariaxu
Serial Port
Views: 16,414
Message 4 of 18

Whaaaat? That's crazy.

$59? That's ridiculous. I'd say people needing disks might want to try calling a few times, talking to different representatives, etc.

You purchased a Windows license and the ridiculous "recovery disc" scheme doesn't always work well. Would it kill Lenovo to ship a $5 USB thumb drive with their thousand dollar plus machines?

SeniorGuru
Views: 16,404
Message 5 of 18

Re: Whaaaat? That's crazy.

@ariaxu wrote:

Would it kill Lenovo to ship a $5 USB thumb drive with their thousand dollar plus machines?

As I understand it the issue isn't the cost of the media but rather the terms and conditions that Microsoft demands of OEM licensees of Windows. 

That said, even if PC makers included recovery media as a matter of course with all their products I'd venture that many customers would misplace the media or throw it away and not have it when/if they ever needed it.

P.S. I too have received recovery media for free from Lenovo in the past when I had a valid reason for needing it but not having it. I'm glad that they continue to be flexible on this issue.

WWAN
Views: 16,393
Message 6 of 18

Re: Whaaaat? That's crazy.

The problem is that the majority of media is not used, often misplaced and reordered when a problem surfaces.

We just got a computer in the office that had a huge sticker over the latch that reminded you to create backup media before you did anything else.

ariaxu
Serial Port
Views: 16,373
Message 7 of 18

Paying for media is no issue - Lenovo's pricing is.

Since I understand that customers who need recovery media are probably in the minority, I don't see any issue with charging for it.

I would gladly have paid $10 and shipping for my disks, but $60 is half the cost of another Windows license! Considering the Windows activation code is embedded in my PC already, Lenovo's pricing is a bit outrageous.

Lenovo really ought to offer an ISO image or recovery media maker for download in the support area. I would never have wasted time on the phone if I could have downloaded and burned a disc. I guess the OEM deal with Microsoft is probably what prevents that. It's really too bad.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 16,362
Message 8 of 18

Re: Paying for media is no issue - Lenovo's pricing is.

@ariaxu wrote:

Lenovo really ought to offer an ISO image or recovery media maker for download in the support area.

A media maker facility has shipped with the installed Windows image on every new ThinkPad for a very long time.......

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
excommie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 16,342
Message 9 of 18

Re: Paying for media is no issue - Lenovo's pricing is.

Lenovo laptops with windows 8 do not ship with MEDIA maker facility.
They do come with the ability to copy the restore partition to an external drive, but in this context calling an external hard drive "media" is a bit of a stretch.
ThorsHammer
Bit Torrent
Views: 16,288
Message 10 of 18

The solution (in my opinion) is to use the cloud.  If a customer needs the factory image, there's no technical reason I can think of for not providing the exact image that was laid down on the HDD or SSD.

It would seem Lenovo should allow a customer to plug in some verification information into an online form, and after verification, provide access to the .ISO images or a chunked blob that can be downloaded and used to restore the original factory image.

No new key needs to be issued because for Windows 8, it's already in the CSM BIOS/UEFI implementation.  Windows 7 machines have a COA.

Current methods aren't working and it's time to get modern.

Charging $59 is stupid.

Top Kudoed Authors