Options

30 Posts

06-14-2019

SE

29 Signins

298 Page Views

• Views: 298
  • Message 1 of 10

Lenovo x1c7 4K UHD Display, too bright and warm colors?

2019-07-30, 17:16 PM

Hi,

I just received my x1c7 carbon with the 4k display. I feel like the colors are far to bright and warm, it's literally looking like some kid calibrated this thing, is this suppose to be this way? I compare to my old x270 IPS fhd display and the colors are deeper on that compared the 4k uhd display which is just bright and overly colorful.

I've tinkered around with various color profiles, nothing seem to do any difference at all, i've also tried to manually adjust these settings with the intel display driver but that doesn't help either.

When i enable HDR it just seems like the display gets darker (lower gamma) but no actual difference in the color, once i increase the gamma with HDR enabled it looks exactly the same as without.

I've also tried to uninstall the bundled "Lenovo Display Optimizer" which came pre-installed without any different result, to my surprise once i tried to re-install the lenovo display optimizer it won't install, it says its installed, asks for reboot but doesn't appears afterwards.

Luckily i've taken a image of my install before i uninstalled the Lenovo Display Optmizier so i have to roll back the entire system to before i started tinkering with it i guess?

Whats going on here, the reviews on this display was good, to me it looks like crap, think world of warcraft colors, everything is very warm. No real depth at all.

Solved! See the solution
Options

30 Posts

06-14-2019

SE

29 Signins

298 Page Views

• Message 2 of 10

Re: Lenovo x1c7 4K UHD Display, too bright and warm colors?

2019-07-30, 19:27 PM

After further testing running photoshop and opening an image the image looks natural and true color the way i want it, but if i save the image and open it in xnview or the native windows photos app it becomes a vivid mess, like its turned up contrast and warmth from somewhere, but it does not appear to apply inside photoshop.

I changed some profiles around in photoshop to use the same color profile as windows but the image still appear natural inside photoshop but outside photohop in windows the image is changed, using the same color profile.

Am i dealing with bugged lenovo drivers here or whats going on? I've searched and i cannot find any native windows 10 "image enhancements".

The Lenovo Diplay Optimizer changes colors through out the entire computer both photoshop and windows but you can always tell in photoshop that the "vidvidness" is less. I've tried to restart computer between color profile changes to see if that is needed but it doesn't appear to make a difference, windows is "enhanced color" while photoshop stays natural, i want to have natural colors everywhere.

Options

30 Posts

06-14-2019

SE

29 Signins

298 Page Views

• Message 3 of 10

2019-07-31, 8:35 AM

After much testing and installing/uninstalling i feel like i found the culprit.

For some reason when the computer came bundled with Lenovo Display Optimizer and the intel 620 display driver the options in the gfx driver was very limited, what i did was:

Uninstall the pre installed 620 intel gfx driver and download the latest version from intel.com.

Uninstall Lenovo Display Optimizer, re-installing it after i had installed the new intel driver. After i did that suddenly a "Color Gamut" option appeared and was default set to "vivid" .

I changed that setting to "Nautral" and the colors became a lot more natural

https://i.imgur.com/3nywxk6.png

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

29 Posts

08-07-2019

US

39 Signins

191 Page Views

• Views: 191
  • Message 4 of 10

2019-08-08, 17:37 PM

Can I ask how you were able to reinstall the Lenovo Display optimizer. I have tried many times to install the version found here, and every time I do it, it acts like it has installed and asks me to reboot the machine, but when I reboot I can't find the program anywhere (and I still don't have the vivid/natural option in my UHD Graphics Control Panel.

Options

30 Posts

06-14-2019

SE

29 Signins

298 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2019-08-08, 18:03 PM

I know, the version posted on lenovos official website is broken, that driver cannot be installed. I did however find someone else who posted a setup package containing the Lenovo Display Optimizer, i can't find the link anymore but i did verify that this package also works and installs a working version of Lenovo Display Optimizer, you can find it on my server here: https://darkone.network/stuff/LenovoDisplayOptimizerSetup.exe

I know it's not best practice to download random exe files from strangers but not much choice here as the lenovo hosted one is broken. Scan it with virustotal.com before you install as a safety measure but you'll have my word that exe is a working version of the lenovodisplayoptimizer.

If lenovo reads this please replace the broken installation package of lenovodisplayoptimizer on your website!

Options

29 Posts

08-07-2019

US

39 Signins

191 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2019-08-08, 18:07 PM

Thanks so much. I'm going to try it shortly. First and foremost, I trust you, but second, if there is a problem and I can't fix this display, I'm returning this anyway, and I have no data on it yet, so no harm, no foul :)

Options

30 Posts

06-14-2019

SE

29 Signins

298 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2019-08-08, 18:12 PM

I suggest setting lenovo display optimizer to "native" for best regular image, all the other options are heavily saturated, i really hope lenovo looks into this, paying 3000$ for a epic 4k screen and it's not calibrated properly sort of sucks.

I can verify if you use a program like photoshop which uses proper image calibration profiles images come out beautiful on the screen. Windows does not however know how to properly use these color profiles :(

Options

29 Posts

08-07-2019

US

39 Signins

191 Page Views

• Message 8 of 10

2019-08-08, 18:37 PM

I followed everything, and it worked, so big thanks. I can see that the Lenovo display optimizer that came preloaded on my machine was clearly broken, as you could barely see the difference when you switched between native/standard/movie etc. Now there is a noticeable difference, and I am able to adjust the vivid/natural setting in the Intel Graphics program. I'm still going to have to play with it to find my perfect setting, but I was ready to give up on it before. Thanks again.

Options

31 Posts

06-03-2013

NO

329 Signins

2257 Page Views

• Views: 2257
  • Message 9 of 10

2019-08-08, 21:03 PM

Thanks for this tip. The problem with the Lenovo Display Optimizer is that it changes colors on both internal panel and external monitors.

As I’m using a different color profile for the monitors (obviously), that does not compute in terms of color matching.

So far this setting is working fine – as long as it sticks and does not reset.

EDIT: And the problem is that the Intel setting does not stick.

So we're back to square one and oversaturated colors.

Options

30 Posts

06-14-2019

SE

29 Signins

298 Page Views

• Message 10 of 10

2019-08-08, 21:07 PM

You may be able to get "accurate colors" by uninstalling lenovo display driver, then downloading the latest 620 intel driver from intel.com https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28991/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?product=126789

Then reboot, now your colors should be set to the equal to "Native" in lenovo display driver (which in my opinion is the best option, standard may be ok to use if watching movies though, but it's literally the same as just turning up the contrast a little bit). You do not need the Lenovo Display Optimizer from what i've gathered.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete