Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vaultage
What's DOS?
Views: 5,719
Message 1 of 8

Lenovo x220 Display Port to HDMI - how to enable audio

The x220 sadly didn't have an HDMI port, but to overcome this you can get a cable or adaptor for display port to HDMI but then I've seen quite a few people having issues getting sound from the display port to HDMI. Here is the answer.

some of the adaptors and cables you get hold of might not transmit audio in the first place, so check the specification for it.

then on your computer you need to try these things

enable something in the control panel, sound settings, playback tab.  in white space right click and select show disabled and disconnected devices.

you might already see the HDMI and you can set that as default, but if it is not yet showing at least you have enabled it here when you do get it to appear.

next go to the device manager (also an icon in the control panel)

you will see a folder called sound etc, so expand it

In mine it had the following:

Bluetooth Hands free Audio

Conexant 20672 Smart Audio HD

Intel(R) Display Audio

do not try to update the drivers here - download and over-install the old ones(or remove old and be ready to install new - DO NOT delete the drivers and forget what they are called)

useful link to the Lenovo drivers - I have it located in UK, change if you want at the top

http://support.lenovo.com/en_GB/downloads/default.page?selector=expand

As a matter of course I did a search online for Conexant 20672 windows 7 driver and Lenovo links were showing immediately, perhaps they have that chip exclusively.  anyway took me to their site and I double checked the version numbers between their latest release and what I had installed.  mine was slightly older so I downloaded it and double clicked the exe file, it over installed and fully up to date.  (be careful because the first search I did took me to another Conexant version of the driver on Lenovo site too and it was for other laptop models, so look at the read me)

the link for mine was

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS014918

then I did another search and I think this one is the problem because it does not have the work HD in the title. 

Intel Display Audio HDMI and again Lenovo site links came up with a graphics driver with HD and when I looked at the readme it had my laptop model and lots of others there.  the name of the driver is different though and I think it includes the audio in this driver - remember you are enabling a display port to transmit audio and the drivers I listed above indicate it is intel display audio - so that is a give away. 

it was named Intel(R) HD Graphics Driver. 

when I downloaded this and installed it said it was not compatible - gutted.  so I did the update driver button in the device manager instead and it downloaded a driver from the internet and auto installed it then asked to be rebooted.  I've tried this before for HDMI updated drivers and it didn't work - was on a different manufacturer but still same windows 7.

reboot your computer - it will not show until you do because it boots with the new driver.

plug the cable in and connect it up - see if it works or look at the sound settings again and select it.

Be careful with the display drivers though because if you disable or uninstall your screen with go to 256 bitmap and 800x600 screen resolution and it makes life difficult to navigate.

SMG47
802.11n
Views: 5,699
Message 2 of 8

Re: Lenovo x220 Display Port to HDMI - how to enable audio

Any specific recommendations for Display port to hdmi adapters that support sound?

Something cheap but good?

A1X
Token Ring
Views: 5,690
Message 3 of 8

This one works well with my T420s:

http://www.delock.com/produkte/F_159_Displayport---HDMI--Stecker---Stecker_82587/merkmale.html
802.11n
Views: 5,680
Message 4 of 8

Thanks for the reply; but I was looking for a product from a vendor a little closer to home. 

I don't believe Delock products are commonly available in the USA.

Balangaman
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,995
Message 5 of 8

@vaultage wrote:

The x220 sadly didn't have an HDMI port, but to overcome this you can get a cable or adaptor for display port to HDMI but then I've seen quite a few people having issues getting sound from the display port to HDMI. Here is the answer.

some of the adaptors and cables you get hold of might not transmit audio in the first place, so check the specification for it.

then on your computer you need to try these things

enable something in the control panel, sound settings, playback tab.  in white space right click and select show disabled and disconnected devices.

you might already see the HDMI and you can set that as default, but if it is not yet showing at least you have enabled it here when you do get it to appear.

next go to the device manager (also an icon in the control panel)

you will see a folder called sound etc, so expand it

In mine it had the following:

Intel(R) Display Audio

do not try to update the drivers here - download and over-install the old ones(or remove old and be ready to install new - DO NOT delete the drivers and forget what they are called)

useful link to the Lenovo drivers - I have it located in UK, change if you want at the top

http://support.lenovo.com/en_GB/downloads/default.page?selector=expand

As a matter of course I did a search online for Conexant 20672 windows 7 driver and Lenovo links were showing immediately, perhaps they have that chip exclusively.  anyway took me to their site and I double checked the version numbers between their latest release and what I had installed.  mine was slightly older so I downloaded it and double clicked the exe file, it over installed and fully up to date.  (be careful because the first search I did took me to another Conexant version of the driver on Lenovo site too and it was for other laptop models, so look at the read me)

the link for mine was

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS014918

then I did another search and I think this one is the problem because it does not have the work HD in the title. 

Intel Display Audio HDMI and again Lenovo site links came up with a graphics driver with HD and when I looked at the readme it had my laptop model and lots of others there.  the name of the driver is different though and I think it includes the audio in this driver - remember you are enabling a display port to transmit audio and the drivers I listed above indicate it is intel display audio - so that is a give away. 

it was named Intel(R) HD Graphics Driver. 

when I downloaded this and installed it said it was not compatible - gutted.  so I did the update driver button in the device manager instead and it downloaded a driver from the internet and auto installed it then asked to be rebooted.  I've tried this before for HDMI updated drivers and it didn't work - was on a different manufacturer but still same windows 7.

reboot your computer - it will not show until you do because it boots with the new driver.

plug the cable in and connect it up - see if it works or look at the sound settings again and select it.

Be careful with the display drivers though because if you disable or uninstall your screen with go to 256 bitmap and 800x600 screen resolution and it makes life difficult to navigate.

I was really pleased to stumble upon your post because I have just got a Thinkpad X220 and was hoping to use HDMI for use with a large TV. I bought an HDMI-Displayport adapter and was dismayed that it didn't transmit audio. It seems, after trawling through many forums that this is a major problem for most people.

I followed your instructions as best I could but only end up falling at new hurdles...

Under device manager, the following sound controllers are shown:-

High Definition Audio Device

There is no Intel(R) Display Audio. I did look for this driver but the Lenovo web site pointed me to the audio drivers I already had for my X220.

Balangaman
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,989
Message 6 of 8

(just adding a bit to my msg which seemed to get autosaved without the last bit.... which I am now appending...)

I did manage to find a 'Communications Utility' which can be activated using Fn+F6 in which there is an option for changing Advanced Audio Settings. This brings up a SmartAudio window which shows an option for DP which when clicked on shows a tick but no sound is heard.

There is also another option for Audio defaults and other settings which brings up five devices, and two are shown as 'Not plugged in'. They are both labelled as 'Digital Audio (HDMI). When I plug in my HDMI-Displayport adapter it is shown as the default and ticked. It is labelled as 32LE2R-ZJ. I have no idea what this is....Maybe a faulty adapter...

This is proving extremely frustrating....
A1X
Token Ring
Views: 4,936
Message 7 of 8

This one works well with my T420s:

http://www.delock.com/produkte/F_159_Displayport---HDMI--Stecker---Stecker_82587/merkmale.html

More than supporting audio, I had no problems streaming a 3D bluray .iso from my laptop to my TV set (frame packing, Cyberlink PowerDVD 13) so I think it's even 1.4 HDMI compatible.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,902
Message 8 of 8

I'm sure the problem does not lie with the laptop or my Displayport-HDMI adapter or cable since I've just installed Ubuntu on it and can get audio rooted to my TV. The problem is down the Windows and getting the appropriate drivers installed. Looking at various forums it seems like a major problem which many people are unable to resolve...

It looks like a completely fresh installation is required.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors