cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peaston
Paper Tape
Views: 6,917
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo x230 battery drains quickly in sleep mode; power management center won't run

I have my lenovo x230 laptop set to sleep when I close the lid. When I close the lid the "sleep" icon on the back of the screen lights up. But the batter will not last through the night on sleep mode. Within five hours or so, the battery is completely drained and I have to plug in and boot up the system. I've never seen such poor batter performance during sleep mode on any other laptop I've ever owned. 

Another thread in this forum blames the USB port that allows you to charge mobile phones/etc. during low-power states and recommends disabling the "always power on" option fo this USB port in the Bios settings. I've done so, be it doesn't seem to have helped. At least my laptop still will not make it through the night in sleep mode. 

At this point, it seems my ownly option is to use sleep mode only when the laptop is plugged in and hibernation mode when on batter power, which is disappointing. I've never had to worry about this in the past with other laptops. 

Perhaps/probably related is the fact that the lenovo ThinkVantage Power Manager (v. 7.16) hangs at the splash screen when I try to open it, so I've been trying to manage the power through the windows control panel power settings.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,910
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo x230 battery drains quickly in sleep mode; power management center won't run

Use powercfg tool from within cmd window (run it with right of Administrator) to check power efficiency.
powercfg -energy
powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

fozz
What's DOS?
Views: 6,566
Message 3 of 6

Re: Lenovo x230 battery drains quickly in sleep mode; power management center won't run

@x220forme wrote:
Use powercfg tool from within cmd window (run it with right of Administrator) to check power efficiency.
powercfg -energy
powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

Thank you so much, this was perfect.  I noticed my laptop wasn't sleeping and giving me other issues.  After running these can commands I realized I had just paired a bluetooth mouse a few days ago when all the issues started.  Sure enough, it was set for wake-on and as soon as i disabled that, all was back to normal.

bluppfisk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,378
Message 4 of 6

What measures did you end up taking? I have the same problem.

It says a bit of this and that:

Platform Power Management CapabilitiesSmiley TongueCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled
PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer.

and

USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Selective Suspend
This device did not enter the USB Selective Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented when this USB device is not in the Selective Suspend state. Note that this issue will not prevent the system from sleeping.

What did you end up doing? Because I'm not sure how to fix this. I also enabled Intel RapidStart technology but that seems to completely break sleeping for me.
Valiant
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 5,168
Message 5 of 6

Just a quick "thank you" to x220forMe. Using the PowerCfg command lines you suggested also helped me identify my wireless mouse was waking my system (even though I've repeatedly told it not to in Device Manager). Thanks so much for posting your helpful reply!
tamodoma
What's DOS?
Views: 663
Message 6 of 6

Okay, I am having the same issue with my new Thinkpad X1 Carbon 6th Gen,,,,,, tried running the powerconfig on the start menu, a pop up DOS window appear and disappears immediately with no text..... Please advise!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors