Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
garsenov
Paper Tape
Views: 1,320
Message 1 of 7

Lenovo x260 display upgrade - concerns

Hello everybody,

Thank you for the great forum and all the community helping in solving our issues!

As mentioned in the subject I have some concerns about a display upgrade.

Recently I bought absolutely fantastic small notebook - Thinkpad X260.

Unfortunatelly I was not able to choose the proper configuration and it appeared to be with the 1366x768 TN display, which grinds my gears.

I already read the following article:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Lenovo-x260-display-upgrade-HD-to-FHD/td-p/35...

There are few concerns:

Per: https://download.lenovo.com/parts/ThinkPad/x260_frubom_20160127.pdf I'm about to buy - Original Lenovo LCD LED 12,5" Display FHD IPS 1920*1080 - X260 00HN883.

In the article appeared that @kocism used to have some troubles to fit the FHD display somehow.

Questions:

Is the  FHD front display cover as same as the one used with the TN panel?

What about the frame around the display?

In general should I buy something else to have this upgrade done in the smoothest way or what I have is enough? 

Thank you very much in advance.

Best Regards,

Georgi

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,303
Message 2 of 7

Re: Lenovo x260 display upgrade - concerns

The parts list provides no clue.  It talks about a "small" panel, which takes a different bezel and cable and provides no insight into what they are talking about.  You are going to have a hard time finding someone to provide a definitive answer. 

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
garsenov
Paper Tape
Views: 1,293
Message 3 of 7

@richk thank you for the fast reply.

However, I think in the part list there is enough information to support me in buying all needed.

Almost everything is available in ebay while I was searching by the part numbers.

The question is what exactly I need to buy.

The closed topic doesn't put much light on that, that's why I opened this new one in order to gather all that information.

Hopefully somebody already did this conversion from TN to IPS FHD and could help.

Aero88
What's DOS?
Views: 1,142
Message 4 of 7

Hey there, did you manage to fix the issue?

I am on the verge of upgrading TN to FHD as I love my X260 so much but TN 1366 display is killing me.
MATI3
What's DOS?
Views: 835
Message 5 of 7

Anybody replace screen in x260 ?
AM-S
Punch Card
Views: 631
Message 6 of 7

It should be the same as it was on my X240.  Once you have the right panel (I used this one:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MG23347/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

This is the procedure I followed, after some careful reading.  The job took me no more than 5 minutes.

1. Go into the BIOS and disable the internal battery (if so equipped).  The machine will shut down and you can work on it.
  2. Remove the external battery.
  3. With the screen flipped up, use your fingers to gently pry the bezel open along its edge.  You may  also want to use a very thin card to help with this (most credit cards are too thick).  Start on either side of the camera and work around to the bottom. 
  4. Once you reach the bottom corners, fold the lip as far back as it will go and flex the bezel (gently) to remove it at the hinges.  The rest of the bezel should pop off.  Set it aside.
  5. The screen is now free and floppy.  Carefully lift it out of the top, folding it facedown onto the keyboard.  The cable is short, so be cautious.
  6. Remove the tape over the cable connector on the screen.  Save it.
  7. There is a fine wire bail holding the connector to the screen, opposite the cable.  Flip this up with the point of a knife.
  8. The display is now free.  Lift it off the keyboard and set it aside.
  9. Place the new display on the keyboard, face down.  Insert the connector and flip down the wire bail.  Replace the tape.
  10. Flip the display back into the top, carefully.
  11. Plug in your machine and power up.  The new screen should work properly.  If not, power down as in Step 1 and check the connector.
  12. Peel off the thin plastic screen protector (there is usually a colored tab attached to the side of the display to makes its presence obvious).  Reveal the gloriuous matte screen!
  13. Replace the bezel, aligning it carefully.  Start at the bottom, at the hinges, and then press along the bottom to make sure the ciips there are all engaged.
  14. Press the clips in, starting at the bottom corners and ending up at the camera.
  15. If you are running Win10, the display will scale to 125%.  If you want the full effect, set it to 100% and put on your bifocals.
  16. Enjoy your new computer!
RebelCoder
Paper Tape
Views: 106
Message 7 of 7

Hi, I now have exactly the same problem. I have ordered 3 screen, which are in a supported list, they all do work just fine, BUT physical size is smaller then the old TN panel. Old TN panel ix (290 x 179) with the frame and all FHD panels I tried are (282 x 177) with the frame, which makes FHD screen not stay in place.

PLEASE, did you solve this porblem? I hope you still read this formu. I have no idea what to do.

Image 1 - Size difference problem.

Image 2 - Red frame shows gaps places where screen frame is small

Image 3 - Original TN Panel size.

I really hope Lenovo or You have a solution.

This issue is also mentioned here but never resolved, even though it is marked as Solved.
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Lenovo-x260-display-upgrade-HD-to-FHD/td-p/35...

Regards.
Juris.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors