Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

49 Posts

12-25-2010

Vietnam

224 Signins

558 Page Views

• Views: 558
  • Message 1 of 7

Lid Crack on X220 - covered under warranty?

2014-02-13, 0:17 AM

Hi,

I'm in Belgium and I have recently found some cracks on my TP X220 lid (which are near the hinges). Just like similar problems that were posted on the forum, my machine is actually placed inside the sleeve in a backpack, there's no way it can suffer from normal wear and tear or any direct hit which might cause the crack.

I've sent the machine to Lenovo service centre in Germany, with several other problems reported by in the end only one of them (which is related to the CPU noise) is fixed.

Regarding the crack, it's known that the physical damages are not covered by warranty, but clearly this is something due to the quality issue. And the cracks are growing worse, as I observe them everyday.

Should I contact Lenovo Belgium complaining about this unsolved problem?

Thank you!

Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Views: 444194
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: Lid Crack on X220 - covered under warranty?

2014-02-13, 3:33 AM
are you using the laptop in really cold weather condition? do you have a picture of the crack?

Usually cracks are considered a user induced damage, unless you can prove beyond a shadow of doubt that it is design related. So far the number of cases reported for screen casing cracking on its own are very small, so it is most likely not considered design issue.

Also, i have owned over 12 X220 + X230, none of the screen casing cracked in the minor that you mentioned due to normal regular use.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Options

49 Posts

12-25-2010

Vietnam

224 Signins

558 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2014-02-13, 9:24 AM

Thank you for your reply, 

I know how I treat my computer. Like a baby I'd say. It can't be that cold or under such bad pressure to have those cracks. Moreover, they are on the inner side of the lid, including the left and right upper corners (points).

Here are the pics (sorry for low quality)

1.png

2.png

Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Views: 444194
  • Message 4 of 7

2014-02-14, 5:16 AM

okay you have cracks on the plastic bezel, and not the actual magnesium lid (which i wrongly assumed).

From the cracks, it seems to me that you tend to close the screen using the left hand, as both of the cracks occurs at the left hand side.

Also, you probably close the screen very fast, which is why the plastic edge got the chip, and why the other crack is near the hinge. The hinge on the X220 and X230 is very stiff, so if you close the screen rapidly, the crack will form from the cyclic stress, especially around the screw hole near the hinge. The rapid closing of the screen also causes the plastic edge to constantly bump into the palmrest at high speed, and eventually the plastic breaks off. On some of the machine with same type of screen closing behaviour, the chip happens on the palmrest instead. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Options

49 Posts

12-25-2010

Vietnam

224 Signins

558 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2014-02-16, 21:20 PM

Thank you for your reply.

It's true that i'm left-handed and normally do most of things by left hand. In fact, however, I normally close the lid using either hand or both and not with strongt force. Secondly, the machine in fact has cracks on both left and right sides of the lid, and on both the corner and near the hinge. What i posted are exactly half of the damages. The left side crack near the hinge however seems more severe as the cracked piece looks about the seperate (if i use my hand to break it off, then it does). I treated my W510 much worse, dropped it for several times, and still looks like a tank after almost 3 years.

If i remember it correctly, the cracks at two corner were found out when I took my machine off the sleeve in different days.

Whatever caused it to crack (coldness, force, pressure), it puts me in doubt with the qualily of the plastic used for inner surface of the lid (the outer surface i believe has suffered greater forces but it stays healthy still).

Plus, even though Lenovo seems to have replaced the ventilator (which they believe to be the cause of weird noise), the noise does remain. It seems to me like something caused by unrepairable error with the CPU, not by the dust of something like that. And the microphone remains as bad as it was.

In short, I sent to my machine to Lenovo and after 6 days, they solved NO problems. (well, i didn't really expect Lenovo would replace a new lid/case, but i did expect the other two problems would be fixed. But they weren't)

Options

49 Posts

12-25-2010

Vietnam

224 Signins

558 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2014-02-21, 7:18 AM
It seems this thread doesn't get any attention. Still my question hangs...
Options

74 Posts

02-04-2013

Czech Republic

254 Signins

1067 Page Views

• Views: 1067
  • Message 7 of 7

2015-03-14, 14:41 PM

Hello,

have you already replaced your bezel? I've possibly found the cause of this problem...

skrble

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms