Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amacke
What's DOS?
Views: 655
Message 1 of 3

Locked out of bitlocker after system board replacement

My X1 died on me and, according to the sheet of paper that came back from the repair center, had its system board replaced. Unfortunately, when booting, I get a prompt for a bitlocker recovery key - and the key I have (confirmed with Microsoft) is not working. The key id shown on the recovery screen is also different.

I've spent about 40 minutes on the phone now with Lenovo support, and haven't gotten anywhere - how can I get back into my machine? It would appear that, since the hard drive was not replaced, I should still be able to get in with my existing key, or am I missing something there?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 640
Message 2 of 3

Re: Locked out of bitlocker after system board replacement

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/d7be2e19-3eb2-4e7f-8d6a-c7f0f5474b93/bitlo...

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Doug17091
What's DOS?
Views: 158
Message 3 of 3

Re: Locked out of bitlocker after system board replacement

I just go screwed on this as well and am trying to get those responsible to manage this better. 

I lost all my data because I chose to not enable bitlocker which is an option. Then my motherboard was replaced and that was the end of my stuff on the hard drive 

First of all all it seems to be a Microsoft OS glitch that automatically enables bitlocker and asks for the recovery key. This is bad on MS and they have told me they will pass on to developers. 

Mainly MS cause this problem 

however the last chance rests with Lenovo and their repair people. I believe BEFORE the motherboard is replaced and your machine is turned back on that is when you could still save everything. You would need someone to take your hard drive and put it somewhere you could enable bitlocker so you have a recovery key (I would also backup drive st same time). Then I would put back in machine and send to Lenovo techs to replace motherboard. 

Lenovo and their techs SHOULD be clear on this with people. They could even charge for the service but my experience was NO ONE asked if perhaps I had not enabled bitlocker or if I had lost the key. That was my last chance. AND they knew this problem exists. 

Doug Iverson 

Top Kudoed Authors