Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
codesmith
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,187
Message 11 of 38

Re: MSDTC errors on Lenovo X1

In my case, I installed a clean version of Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise obtained via my own Microsoft account.   I did not install from any Lenovo media.   I did not enable WiFi during the install process, so as to prevent any updates during the install or after starting Windows 10.   The system started fine (obviously without all the ideal drivers), and there were no MSDTC errors.  This was verified after 2 or 3 reboots without WiFi enabled.

I then enabled WiFi and did a Windows updates.  I did NOT install any Lenovo update tools.   Maybe Microsoft update does install some Lenovo specific drivers, but I am not sure.   But after the Windows update and a reboot the MSDTC error reappeared.

Alex515
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,154
Message 12 of 38

Looks like some Lenovo-specific drivers were pushed from the Windows update. I'm just wondering what kind of API these drivers could theoretically employ to so badly break MSDTC?
Fravian
Paper Tape
Views: 1,102
Message 13 of 38

Here is the (terrible\non technical\guess\lets get rid of this ticket) response I received from Lenovo. Note, I use MDT to push out a large amount of images. I assume this is simply a canned response as the generations in the email are wrong:

Lenovo Support wrote:
    "Kindly be advised that since you have tested the 3rd Gen X1 Yoga with its preloaded OS and it is working fine this shows there's nothing wrong with the machine nor the OS.

Kindly take note that your X1 Yoga 2nd gen has a motherboard preconfigured as Intel's 7th-generation (known as Kaby Lake) with relevant drivers to support your current OS while the X1 Yoga 3rd Gen is preconfigured as Intel's 8th-generation (known as Cofee Lake), therefore this device will only run efficiently with an image which is compatible to the hardware specifications/configuration of the 3rd gen.

This is the reason why we have indeed advised you to create a new image which is compatible with your 3rd gen for deployment to avoid future complications.

Kindly be advised that even though the image from your X1 Yoga 2nd gen  can be installed on the X1 Yoga 3rd gen but given the difference in hardware configuration, you will encounter errors even after you manually have updated the drivers."

You might be able to tell, im really unhappy with the level of support I've receive from Lenovo on this and will be requesting an escalation!

It might be time to start looking at HP Elitebooks.

codesmith
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,085
Message 14 of 38

Just curious.  Is there anyone out there who has a Gen 6 X1 that does NOT have this problem?   The start of this thread describes how you can determine if your X1 has the problem.

VFR800
Paper Tape
Views: 1,050
Message 15 of 38

Bump. Any other updates from Lenovo on this issue? I was able to verify that a 2nd stock X1C6 exhibits this same issue out-of-the-box.

codesmith
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,003
Message 16 of 38

How about it Lenovo?   I do not see this problem on recent HP or Dell laptops running Windows 10.    Are you looking into this?

hrdwrkr
Blue Screen Again
Views: 981
Message 17 of 38

This is a problem with Dolby service for ATMOS hardware.

Here is my latest dialog with Dolby.

(Fails on Win 10 1809 too and on all Windows running ATMOS, including Lenovo X1 and Apple MacBook Pro 2018)

Date: Tuesday, October 2, 2018 at 7:42 PM
To: DolbyAtmosInquiry <DolbyAtmosInquiry@dolby.com>
Subject: Dolby Atmos

Subject: DAX API Service crashes DCOM on Win 10 1803
First Name: Mike
How do I get a corrected Atmos API Service drivers?

The service that causes "Component Services" My Computer to be down is the service named "Dolby DAX API Service" (DolbyDAXAPI in Task Manager Services) which is used to control the Dolby Atmos components.
WORKAROUND: Stop the service and set it to "Disabled". You can set it to "Manual" but if it starts, it will interfere with COM+. After stopping the DAX service, restart the "COM+ Event System" (or "EventSystem" in Task Manager Services tab) service and check dcomcnfg again. If this service is running, it blocks the COM+ manager somehow preventing the comm protocols to load. The service file is DAX3API.exe in %windir%\dolbyaposvc\ copyright 2018 Dolby Laboratories. This issue affects hardware with Atmos sound including MacBook 2018, Lenovo, Acer.

=====
Sent: Monday, October 8, 2018 7:20 PM
Subject: Re: Dolby Atmos

Hi Mike,

Thanks for sharing this information with us. We are aware of the issue and are working with Microsoft to resolve it.

– The team at Dolby

=====
Date: Thursday, October 18, 2018 at 4:11 PM
To: DolbyAtmosInquiry <DolbyAtmosInquiry@dolby.com>
Subject: RE: Dolby Atmos

When will the updated DAX API Service for Win 10 driver be available for the MacBook Pro 2018?
Can I get it from Dolby if Apple is not delivering?

Thanks,
Mike

=====
From: DolbyAtmosInquiry [mailtoSmiley Very HappyolbyAtmosInquiry@dolby.com]
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2018 11:03 AM
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your question — we are not able to provide information on the timing of a fix for this issue.
When the update is ready, it will apply to all hardware, including the 2018 MacBook Pros.

For any additional support questions with Dolby Atmos on PCs, you can contact our Dolby Access support team.

– The team at Dolby

codesmith
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 975
Message 18 of 38

I tried the workaround (disabling the service) over a month ago.  It has been disabled ever since and I have rebooted my X1 numerous times since then (with Dolby disabled).  No change in the COM+ MSDTC error.

hrdwrkr
Blue Screen Again
Views: 969
Message 19 of 38

Start a command prompt or a Windows Powershell window

enter

net  stop  dolbydaxapi

If you do not see:  "The Dolby DAX API service is not started" then the service is actually running.

If the service is really stopped, you possibly attempted some of the permission changes noted elsewhere and need to reset Windows to restore normal operation. I have reinstalled Windows 1809 3x while debugging this issue due to other improper advise.

codesmith
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 961
Message 20 of 38

Here's what I get.  I had to use a different service name....

C:\Windows\system32>net stop dolbydaxapi
The service name is invalid.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2185.

But this attempt indicates it is already stopped...

C:\Windows\system32>net stop "Dolby DAX API Service"
The Dolby DAX API Service service is not started.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3521.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors