Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VFR800
Paper Tape
Views: 852
Message 21 of 37

Re: MSDTC errors on Lenovo X1

I also have disabled and stopped the Dolby service using the instructions and commands above -- still an issue on my system. I've already re-installed once.

hrdwrkr
Blue Screen Again
Views: 827
Message 22 of 37

Disclosure, I do not have access to an X1 to test so I am responding blind.

Check Services, and disable other Dolby services such as Dolby Vision which may use the same problem coding.

Restart the "COM+ Event System" service (or "EventSystem" if you are in Task Manager Services tab).

Close and then open "dcomcnfg" again.

If MyComputer is still down,

Try Uninstalling Realtek audio support completely and reboot.

Open "dcomcnfg" again. If this fixes COM+ MyComputer then there is another Dolby service or driver that is interfering.

Alex515
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 809
Message 23 of 37

Tried that, doesn't help.
I actually don't understand why Dolby Service or Realtek drivers would need MSDTC in the first place, I believe it's not Dolby that breaks MSDTC but something else by Lenovo.
hrdwrkr
Blue Screen Again
Views: 794
Message 24 of 37

Message from Dolby Labs on 10/08/2018 in response to my detailed report of Dolby DAX API Service breaking Component Services.

=== Quote ===

Thanks for sharing this information with us. We are aware of the issue and are working with Microsoft to resolve it.

– The team at Dolby

Dolby, Dolby Atmos, and the Double-D symbol are registered trademarks of Dolby Laboratories. All other trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. © 2018 Dolby Laboratories, Inc. All rights reserved.

=== unquote ===

However, it is certainly possible that some other service or driver supporting hardware on the Lenovo motherboard is ALSO interfering in the same way.

codesmith
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 747
Message 25 of 37

I was listening to some Tom Petty last night and it reminded me of this Lenovo bug.   Will it ever get fixed?

The waiting is the hardest part
Every day you see one more card
You take it on faith, you take it to the heart
The waiting is the hardest part

-- Tom Petty, "The Waiting"

Kristof-DP
What's DOS?
Views: 711
Message 26 of 37

Hi I found a solution for the problem on a Lenovo X1 laptop:

I stopped these Lenovo services Smiley Saddisable them)

- Lenovo Hotkey Client Loader

- Lenovo Intelliigent Thermal Solution Service

- Lenovo Platform Service

- Lenovo Smart Standby

and the component services works again!!

Alex515
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 699
Message 27 of 37

Thanks Kristof!

I can confirm that after disabling just this service alone:

- Lenovo Smart Standby

MSDTC is working again (check that using dcomcnfg.exe utility). You actually don't have to disable this "Lenovo Smart Standby" service, just set its' Startup Type to "Automatic (Delayed Start)".
codesmith
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 678
Message 28 of 37

Thank you so much Alex and Kristof.

Stopping the service does seem to fix the MSDTC problem.   Setting the service to "delayed start" will work, until the service finally starts, at which point MSDTC fails again (at least on my X1).   

I don't know yet what effect NOT running the Lenovo Smart Standby service has on X1 functionality.

codesmith
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 672
Message 29 of 37

To elaborate, the Component Services UI ran properly after setting the Smart Standby service to delayed start.  Including AFTER the delayed start kicked in (and started the service).   But actual MSDTC transactions were still failing after the delayed start -- until I again completely stopped the Smart Standby service.

VFR800
Paper Tape
Views: 668
Message 30 of 37

I can report the same results -- stopping Lenovo Smart Standby fixes the problem. Problem returns when this service is started. In either case, the Dolby DAX service is running, so that's definitely not the issue.

How do we report the issue with this service to Lenovo?  Seems pretty clean cut to me.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors