Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
whubbard
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,709
Message 1 of 10

Massive wifi issues with X1 Carbon Touch

After a slight fiasco with Lenovo sending me a DOA laptop, I've been quite happy with my X1 Carbon, but the issues I'm having with my wireless are getting tiresome. The problem is I can't narrow it down to a driver issue or a Windows 8 issue. Hopefully you all can lend a hand. There are two issues:

1) When connecting to an unsecurred network in a hotel or airport (i.e. where they have a browser based authentication) the X1 won't make the connection unless I reboot the machine. Once rebooted I have no problem. Flipping 'airplane mode' on and off doesn't work.

2) The machine is randomly deciding to connect to unseccured networks. These are not networks I have connected to before nor are the SSIDs remembered names. It is doing this even if a network I have saved is in range and a stronger signal.

Any help?

Former Administrator
Views: 10,663
Message 2 of 10

Re: Massive wifi issues with X1 Carbon Touch

whubbard,

What version of wireless card do you have, and have you installed the latest version of the driver from our support site?   I note that you specify unsecurred networks ... when connecting to secured networks at home or office, are the symptoms the same?  

Regarding switching to another network... is there a setting for roaming agressiveness?  

Mark

whubbard
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,656
Message 3 of 10

Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205

Driver: 15.6.1.6

This is the most recent file available from Lenovo through the Update Center, but Intel does have a newer driver from 8/7/2013 (Version 16.1.1) which I'm going to download and give a shot now. I'll update later today.

whubbard
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,628
Message 4 of 10

Mark, 

Unfortuneatly that didn't really make the problem any better nor different. When I open my laptop, it still wants to connect to any unsaved unprotected network over my prefered and saved protected networks. Further, if I manually select my network and click connect, it has a limited connection (i.e. no internet) for the first few minutes. A command line ping of 192.168.1.1 yields a strange result that I've never seen before, that my local IP (192.168.1.122) cannot resolve the host. Mind you, this cannot be a router problem because it's happening on different routers and configurations.

I lowered the 'Roaming Aggressiveness' but that didn't really help at all either.

The only "solution" right now is not to use the internet for the first 5 minutes after the computer is in Standby, but frankly, that's just rediculous.

mswlogo
Punch Card
Views: 10,557
Message 5 of 10

I tried that 16.1.1 Intel Driver and my PC starting Blue Screening like crazy.

I had to do a System Restore to Get it Back.

Be really careful with that driver.

I chose the x64 Windows 8 (Driver Only). Then I tried the full kit.

I've been running 15.8.0.5 mostly ok. Flakes out on one router sometimes which is annoying.

blizake
What's DOS?
Views: 10,198
Message 6 of 10

I am having the same issues. I was going to update the driver but after reading your post I will hold off.

Chab
What's DOS?
Views: 8,315
Message 7 of 10

I am having the same issue, and I travel very extensively for work. So you can imagine how frustrating this is at times. 

Please do find a solution for this!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 8,287
Message 8 of 10

To my mind this issue is caused not by wifi adapter driver. It might be related with 802.1x authentification due to the network/adapter settings or even incorrect DOT3SVC service behaviour.

For the 1st case it's possible to check out settings and change them. For the 2nd case the patch on ms site should be.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

itsupport2
Paper Tape
Views: 5,480
Message 9 of 10

Has anyone found a solution to this issue?  (if so can you clearly explain how to resove it, please)

I recently assisted a user to purchase a Thinkpad Carbon X1 and after traveling around the USA, they reported experiencing many times with it would not connect to WiFI correctly, while their iPad worked all the time.

Personally I believe it is a Windows 8.1 issue as I have yet to see bluetooth and WiFi work reliably  in Windows 8.1, and WiFi is problematic in general.

The user has also expressed issues with using the trackpad in that on occasions it registers clicks while he is moving his finger across the touch pad.

Guru
Views: 5,459
Message 10 of 10

Install the latest WLAN driver from support site:
http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x1-...

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Personal website: ThinkScopes

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors