Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rlweiner
Fanfold Paper
Views: 429
Message 1 of 3

Migrating all software & data to new X1

I'm trying to migrate the contents of my x230 SSD to my new X1 Carbon. I tried an experiment by cloning the old SSD to the new one (using Acronis TrueImage). I then updated all the drivers and all seemed well -- until I noticed that the Windows Product ID and the Lenovo serial number and machine type all matched the old rig. I assume that means that I'm not actually getting the right drivers for my hardware. I also fear that I'll run into Windows authentication problems at some point. And Lenovo's software is picking up the warranty info for my old PC (maybe not a real problem, but who knows).

I'm wondering whether it's possible to
1) copy everything except Windows while retaining software and app settings, or
2) Clone the drive, then manually adjust the Windows Product ID and the Lenovo serial number and machine type, or
3) 
Clone the drive, then do an in-place Windows recovery to get the original Windows ID, machine type, and serial number back.

I tested option 3, but the recovery media that the X1 creates doesn't provide an in-place reinstall option -- just a clean install. That would wipe out everything I'd copied. I called Lenovo but the tech I spoke with didn't know how to get recovery media that will support an in-place reinstall. He's sending me what they have, just in case.

The reason for going through all this trouble is that I have hundreds of apps that I don't want to reinstall and update settings for. 

Have any of you succeeded at this? Laplink will be my next try -- but I've had mixed results with it in the past. Windows Easy Transfer no longer exists for Win10 (and wouldn't have done what I want anyway), so that's out. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 384
Message 2 of 3

Re: Migrating all software & data to new X1

I don't think you will like my answer.  It has been my experience that if the old machine is more than about 2 or 3 years old, it is less of a pain to do a clean install and manually reinstall applications.  When I have tried upgrading an old image, I have found a lot of things don't work right and I end up doing a clean install later.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
rlweiner
Fanfold Paper
Views: 320
Message 3 of 3

Re: Migrating all software & data to new X1

Thanks, Rich. I finally resorted to Laplink. It got most of my software and settings, but I lost a lot (like dozens of Giveaway of the Day tools).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors