Options

24 Posts

06-22-2011

Singapore

20 Signins

213 Page Views

• Views: 213
  • Message 1 of 8

Minor Bug- Conflict between Access Connections & Intel Proset/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility

2011-06-22, 6:46 AM

Hi. When the Intel PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software with the Intel PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility option installed too, it causes a conflict with ThinkVantage Access Connections. Basically if trying to run Access Connections with it installed, AC is unable to detect any wireless networks and a period of disconnection is experienced with trying to "Find Again" in AC. Also, when doing Alt+F5, WiFi will always be shown as "Off" even though it is really connected.

One workaround is to deselect "Intel PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility" when installing, but for some users like me, I need the Intel: EAP-TTLS auntentication for work use, which is only available if the utility is installed. It is basically a problem with Access Connection (it is designed well to work with Windows Wireless Service, but Intel Utility is left out), so i hope the engineers can come up with an update to fix this.

Thanks!

Options

24 Posts

06-22-2011

Singapore

20 Signins

213 Page Views

• Message 2 of 8

Re: Minor Bug- Conflict between Access Connections & Intel Proset/Wireless WiFi Connection Utili

2011-06-22, 6:49 AM

The option i'm talking about is shown in this screenshot.

Options

3509 Posts

07-12-2010

Malaysia

5064 Signins

104816 Page Views

• Views: 104816
  • Message 3 of 8

Re: Minor Bug- Conflict between Access Connections & Intel Proset/Wireless WiFi Connection Utili

2011-06-22, 12:23 PM
@jamestan,

Appreciate if you could let me know which ThinkPad is this and also is the Intel PROSet/Wireless software a default Lenovo one or is it taken off Intel site? If it is from the Intel site, appreciate if you can point me to it.

//JameZ
Options

24 Posts

06-22-2011

Singapore

20 Signins

213 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2011-06-22, 17:54 PM

Hi. I am using the X220. Drivers are not taken from intel, but rather, direct from lenovo's drivers page for X220. Latest version too. I noticed that when using Lenovo's version, the Proset wifi utility actually does not show up in the system and the proset icon does not appear in the tray area too. The only programs being shown are shown in the screen shot.

Intel's version of their drivers do make the utility show up, but i think Lenovo purposely removed it as it is pointless to have so many wireless utilities when Access Connections is installed. Not an issue with me since i'm just here for the Intel:EAP-TTLS only. The issue is still about how Access Connection behaves when the option to install the Proset Connection Utility is selected.

Options

3509 Posts

07-12-2010

Malaysia

5064 Signins

104816 Page Views

• Views: 104816
  • Message 5 of 8

2011-06-27, 9:23 AM
@jamestan,

So when you are installing the Intel Wifi driver, you are able to enable the Intel Proset/Wireless Wifi Connection? Then when its installed, it will cause a confict with Access Connections?

//JameZ
Options

1 Posts

06-10-2011

Scotland, UK

12 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 6 of 8

2011-06-29, 12:51 PM
Thanks for this info jamestan. Saved my sanity!

Removing WiFi Connection Utility resolved all my Access Connections wireless problems on T410, T420, X201 and X220. Strange that we've only just started having this problem with our builds. Now I just need to work out how to produce a silent install script for this.
Options

24 Posts

06-22-2011

Singapore

20 Signins

213 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2011-07-28, 5:18 AM

Hi. Just want to say the latest update solved all my problems :-) The Lenovo autoupdate just installed the drivers without other software (specifically the proset one) and unlike the previous version, intel eap:ttls now appears without installing proset, avoiding any conflicts access connections has with proset!

Thanks!

PS: to possible users of mywifi technology, if you need it, just go to programs, select intel wireless/proset, and modify. tick the check box for intel mywifi, and voila!

Options

24 Posts

06-22-2011

Singapore

20 Signins

213 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2011-07-28, 5:32 AM

hmmmm, found something, not a biggie though.

before updating from system update, i uninstalled the drivers and software of both wifi and wimax. using system update, i first selected the wifi update only (the wimax one showed up too, but i unchecked it for now). now the wifi is installed perfectly, however, upon updating again, the wimax update doesn't show up now. and when viewing the device manager, the wimax adapter is not installed (shows the triangle warning).

i believe it's a bug, perhaps when the wifi software was detected, system update assume that wimax is updated too.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete