Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MightyMauz
Token Ring
Views: 37,927
Message 1 of 8

Mobile Hotspot internet not working

I am trying to share my 3g connection to my other devices. My internet is working on my laptop. I've enabled mobile hotspot in access connectoins, I've connected a 2nd device and the device is properly showing up as a connected device. But when I try to load a webpage on my 2nd device, it times out. I tried also with other devices (ipad, android phone), but to no avail.

Is there something that I'm forgetting?

---------------
X220 Tablet 4298R45; X200s 7470CR9
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 37,912
Message 2 of 8

Re: Mobile Hotspot internet not working

Firewall on your laptop might be a reason, it restricts internet connections for the 2nd device.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

MightyMauz
Token Ring
Views: 37,899
Message 3 of 8

I turned off the firewall, but no luck...

---------------
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 37,882
Message 4 of 8

I had the same issue with firewall feature in antivirus software package. The reason was default rules.

Yes, I see your post about firewall but perhaps there is another sw. If the rules are the reason even 3rd party hotspot tool (not AC) might not help.

Now I'd advise to check out IP addresses, DNS assigning on the 2nd device and laptop wifi card.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

MightyMauz
Token Ring
Views: 37,868
Message 5 of 8

I can see on the mobile hotspot section that the device got an IP in the 192.168.1.xxx range and for the rest it might be useful to add that the Windows 7 installation is fairly new and that I have MS Essentials as a virus scanner.

I will check out on the 2nd device though, if I can see there the same IP as in mobile hotspot, just to make sure.
---------------
MightyMauz
Token Ring
Views: 37,746
Message 6 of 8

I finally found out how to do it with the help of this guide:

http://lifehacker.com/5369381/turn-your-windows-7-pc-into-a-wireless-hotspot

---------------
sysxperts
What's DOS?
Views: 34,334
Message 7 of 8

I was also having a problem connecting my Amazon Fire stick to the mobile hotspot but these two steps solved my issue:

1) went into windows control panel Network and Sharing center and selected the properties of my Wireless adapter connected to the internet and enabled Sharing then selected the Wireless Connection used by AC which was Wireless Network Connection 3 in my case.

2) went into the location profiles for my internet connected profile and selected Network Security > Setting and deselected Disable internet connection sharing 

After these 2 steps the Access type of my Wireless Network Connection 3 changed from No network to Internet and I was able to connect my Amazon Fire Stick as well as phone and other devices.

Karthikey
What's DOS?
Views: 18,047
Message 8 of 8

Hi, I have tried to connect my Lenovo k8 note mobile hotspot internet to my pc wifi, I am tired to search in wifi list but there is no my hotspot name, but my friend's hotspot(redmi)is showing there ,

May i know why its not show my hotspot to my pc.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors