07-13-2018

US

295 Signins

2365 Page Views

• Views: 2365
  • Message 1 of 4

Mor Battery: X240 internal battery observation

2019-05-09, 23:57 PM

Tonight I replaced the internal battery in my X240 for the second time.  The first battery, purchased on eBay, worked well for about 10 months; after that, the machine (i5/Win10) started to report that the battery was not found, and would die when the external was exhausted.

So, I figured, might as well try again.

I just finished the replacement (always remember to shut off the internal battery through the BIOS before doing this!) and all seems well.  The internal battery is charging and, in spite of its official manufacture date sometime in 2013, it's on its first cycle.

The battery I removed--the one that had worked for 10 months?  On closer inspection it had a new label pasted on over an old label (see photo). 

The new label did not have the Lenovo name on it; the old label did.  This leads me to suspect that the battery was a "reconditioned" (or possibly rebuilt) battery originally manufactured by Lenovo, but just with a new label pasted on. Interestingly, the capacity on the old label reads "min. 1930 mAh," while the new label reads "1910 mAh."  Different cells, or just random errors in labeling?

The battery I just purchased (yes, off eBay, I'm cheap) and installed was labeled as Lenovo and carried a correct date of manufacture (that is, the printed date lines up with the date that Vantage reports from the electronics).

Conclusions?  I don't really know.  I'll have to see if the new internal solves the problem that I was having.  If it does, it suggests that the remanufactured battery was the problem all along.

Options

250 Posts

07-23-2018

US

0 Signins

21 Page Views

• Views: 21
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Mor Battery: X240 internal battery observation

2019-05-10, 8:17 AM

Hi there! thanks for posting in our community. 

Was that battery photo you posted was the one you got on ebay? If yes, then it is possible that it was reconditioned or something since it was sold by a third party reseller. Are you still having issues with the battery after the new replacement? 

Options

55 Posts

07-13-2018

US

295 Signins

2365 Page Views

• Views: 2365
  • Message 3 of 4

2019-05-10, 11:37 AM

I generally buy batteries on eBay...because I'm cheap...so let me clarify.  There are three batteries here:

1.  Original, factory-installed.

2.  eBay purchase about 15 months ago ("Old" battery)

3.  eBay purchase of a few days ago ("New" battery)

The one in the photos is the Old battery.  It became intermittent after a surprisingly short period--I would get warnings during charging or use that it couldn't be found.  That's the one with two stickers,  The New one I replaced it with is (so far) working correctly,  Of course, "so far" means "since last night."  But I'm hopeful.

I could get by with only one battery--I have the largest version of the external battery pack for that reason--but unless I'm going to be spending a lot of time away from AC power, I prefer to use the small, no-bulge external pack.  And I hated having the non-functional battery in there.

Options

4345 Posts

07-24-2013

CH

13000 Signins

377298 Page Views

• Views: 377298
  • Message 4 of 4

2019-05-10, 12:53 PM

eBay is quite full of knock off batteries. Many of them look exactly like an original one (speaking from experience here :smileyindifferent:).

You can check the Lenovo outlet if you want to have an original model at a discount price. And I would also recommend you to check for official Lenovo partners, they may have NOS (new old stock) batteries lying around for a good price as well.

-

Using Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete