cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheUnknown
Paper Tape
Views: 649
Message 1 of 6

My X220 is really overheating Please Help!

the temprature is idle at 65c full load at 99c i tried change the thermal paste with CoolerMaster Mastergel Pro but nothing had been change idle at 65c full load at 98c cooling pad and vacuum cooling does not even do anything at all. does there another way to cooling down this laptop

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 639
Message 2 of 6

Re: My X220 is really overheating Please Help!

Welcome to the forum!

Difficult to say why after a repasting the temps are that high, let's give a look at a checkist I personally follow when repasting my ThinkPads:

• Was the old paste properly cleaned from both heastink and CPU die? (Use 100% alcohol or Isopropyl for that)
  • Are the fan blades clean? First block the fan to prevent it from spinning and apply compressed air from the heatsink and from the top of the blades until you're sure is clean
  • Apply a very small amount of paste and distribute a very thin layer over the CPU
  • Is the heatsink sitting flat on the CPU?
  • Make sure to properly tight the screws 
  • Do the heatpipes look bent or damaged?

I have no experience with the thermal compound you used, I normally use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and my X220's don't overheat, when your temps get to 99°C, what applications are you using?

-

L40SX/240/240X/340CSE/360PE/365XD/380D/380E/380XD/380Z/390/560E/560X/570/600/600E/750Cs/755C/760CD/760EL/760XD/770E/A20p/A22/A31/i1600/G40/R50p/R61i/S30/SL510/T22/T4x/T6x/T4x0/T5x0/W5x0/W700/X1/X2x/X3x/X4x/X6x/X6xT/X2xx/X200T/X30x/Z60m/Z61x

Español Comunidad en Español  English English Community  Deutsche Deutsche Community   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Untitled-4.png
limbo5
Punch Card
Views: 588
Message 3 of 6

hey bud - wha were you doing when it overheats?

a little bit of artic mx 4 always goes a long way for me.

without knowing much -  maybe update your bios to at least version 1.43 and perform a clean reformat.

I've never come across a X220 with bad thermals.

in bios -set the settings to default if in doubt..

one way to check for sure is to download intel XTU and perform a quick 5 min benchmark which the graphs will indicate temps and also throttling. Specifically - they indicate the cause of the throttleing too which woud enable you to confirm you hear issue

worst case - set CPU maxperf at 99% - this reduces your i6 or i7 into celeron based processors as the turbo setting turned off permanently..

Inciidentally loads of ideapad owners are turning to this "fix" to address their overpriced design flaw

GomJabbar
Punch Card
Views: 577
Message 4 of 6

I have had to replace my fan assy. a couple of times over the years. Note that by design there is a rubber thermal pad between the fan assy and the processor. If you are only using thermal paste, that designed gap can be a problem. A new Lenovo fan assy. will come with a new thermal pad. Some have used a brass shim (along with thermal paste) to fill the gap in leu of a thermal pad.

Flash videos with a lot of action will cause your system to run somewhat hot - in my experience.

TheUnknown
Paper Tape
Views: 558
Message 5 of 6

the processor i had is i7 2620m intel XTU does not recognize this cpu. i tried the benchmark but the cpu seems not doing anything (except AIDA64). i had notice the cpu will go down to 760mhz and never go higher than that until i restart my laptop

limbo5
Punch Card
Views: 527
Message 6 of 6

The X220 is a very simple and robust machine - therefore problems can be daignosed easily.

regarding the machine not being recognized - sadly tht's true in a lot of benchmarks but not a symptom of your problems as I have them too.

pm me your email and let's find a place where we can talk without risk of censorship although i doubt any thing we discus here on the X220 can be relvant to today's misuse of tech - nonetheless i acknowledge certain rules are enforced based on the spirit (for lack of a better word) and I respect that. whilst others are more practical.

I believe this to be the former.

pm me your email and maybe i can be of assistance

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors