Options

2 Posts

05-10-2008

Newcastle

4 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 1 of 6

My X61 can't connect wireless when i use battery!!!

2008-05-10, 11:28 AM
TYPE NO.:  7673-AN6
i confused why it can not connect wireless when i use battery?!
the problem drive me crazy nearly, it means i must take adapter every time
i help every one can help me!
cheers,
Options

5075 Posts

04-25-2008

US

39561 Signins

747741 Page Views

• Views: 747741
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: My X61 can't connect wireless when i use battery!!!

2008-05-10, 14:01 PM
Are you using Access Connections? Might you be switching to a profile which switches wireless off when you unplug?

Message Edited by bananaman on 05-11-2008 08:14 AM
I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Options

26 Posts

05-14-2008

New York

148 Signins

1546 Page Views

• Views: 1546
  • Message 3 of 6

2008-05-16, 7:31 AM
I have seen reports on other boards of similar issues not necessarily with your specific model. You may want to try setting the power saving mode to maximum performance prior to connecting and see if that allows the wireless connection to succeed. The wireless device is able to run at reduced power and otherwise reduce its power consumption but this creates more complex situations which may not work for all connections. Obviously do make sure you have the latest driver via Lenovo's system update but I would suggest that the power management is at the heart of the issue you are seeing.

Message Edited by hiker on 05-16-2008 12:34 AM
Options

2 Posts

05-10-2008

Newcastle

4 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 4 of 6

2008-05-17, 23:34 PM
Good idea!!! i tryed setting the power saving mode to maximum performance prior one week ago. after i changed the setting, it can work. however, if i shutdown the machine and start it again, the setting will back to default and the problem is still there! i recoveried my operation system 2times it also didnt resolved ( Windows Pro, lastest Bios, lastest drivers). something like the system can not remeber the setting. i asked my friend who is a engineer of DELL tech, he said the problem just like a ghost that could be a bug of 4965 series. the best way is changing the wireless card. IBM already picked my machine up. they can not find anything on my computer because they can not find any XP system on my computer, it also confused me. now, they will send the machine back to me, and i have to recovey the system again, then they will pick it up again.

hi hiker, do you think it is a problem from software or handware?????
Options

288 Posts

11-28-2007

US

412 Signins

9231 Page Views

• Views: 9231
  • Message 5 of 6

2008-05-19, 14:32 PM
If using Access Connections, you need to make the changes under the wireless profile, not on the card.  When the system boots, Access Connections will apply the profile and overwrite the settings used on the card.

Under Access Connections and on the Wireless Settings page, go into the Settings for Advanced Configuration. 
Set the Power Save Mode to Low (best network performance).
Options

26 Posts

05-14-2008

New York

148 Signins

1546 Page Views

• Views: 1546
  • Message 6 of 6

2008-05-20, 3:06 AM
Most of the functionality and problems are in the drivers. The hardware tends to be discrete testable functions though these days there is a fair bit of functionality in the hardware. The hardware tends to be implementing better defined protocols where as the to and fro of the higher level protocols tend to be what varies from Access Point to Access Point. The 4965AGN is a fairly recent chip set and the drivers are far from smoothly running.

The problems can vary from AP to AP so may work at home but not at work etc. Some have reported here that the 4965AGN setup doesn't work with the Cisco 1200 Access Point and I have yet to be able to get it to work under Vista with the equipment at any New York Starbucks. T-mobile do use Cisco equipment but I don't know which models.

Anything you can do to simplify the situation helps. Maximum power. No security. Disable IPv6 on the connection etc. Just to give a rough idea of the kind of thing that might be wrong here are some of the things listed as known issues or fixed according to the readme of the driver (Originating from Intel) that was released for the 4965AGN on 4/11/08.

There are several authentication issues with EAP, PEAP and LEAP which will cause it not to authenticate. There are also Vista EAP issues and some things which may resolve with SP1 which was pushed out on update last week. So there are many comnbinations of situations which may not work and it is important to test with different access points. Authentication and security has more issues. Also at the higher speeds such as 54Mb some of the security mechanisms will not be able to keep up. AES is the only mechanism which Intel expects to work at 54Mb.

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/15806/ENG/relnotes.htm

There have also been past issues where the cards are silenced for twenty minutes after a failure to authenticate and in many cases the card will not be in a valid state after hibernation. It is noticable that when you phone T-mobile the first thing the tech has you do is completely shut the machine down - not hibernate - and begin afresh.

Once you have uninstalled and re-installed the drivers and connection manager a few times it is also possible to be having problems with junk left in the registry.

I don't recommend adding the 4965 drivers directly from the Intel site. I would wait for the one that has come through the Lenovo testing cycle.

In reality for those who don't want to make maintaining their laptop a serious hobby (Hopefully all of us - Far too much time is wasted on wireless) it is really a matter of rebooting your machine at a given access point. Trying your luck and then shutting it down and going somewhere else if it doesn't work. Use wires when you can. At home if your access point doesn't work check your configuratiions, temporarily remove all security, restore factory settings on the AP, reinstall from scratch and if it still doesn't work replace it with a different brand of Access Point.

Of course it is intended to just work and for 95+% of situations Wi-Fi does. The 4965AGN is newer so it has its fair share of early life issues to get resolved. Vista also still has issues. If the problem you are seeing is only when you are on batteries you are lucky and LANOgre's instructions may well solve it.

Message Edited by hiker on 05-19-2008 09:23 PM
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete